• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Marvel's Iron Man #120 is a Underrated/under value

30 posts in this topic

After reading the issue, I believe this book is the changing point for Iron Man and the Future of the Marvel Universe, which is why I believe the book is underrated.

Reason #1 : It's Part One of the Demon in Bottle Storyline. It's also the first story arc with John Romita JR, David Michilene, and Bob Layton.

Reason #2 It introduces H.A.M.M.E.R. Today H.A.M.M.E.R. industries is the new S.H.I.E.L.D. for Villians and is the main focus point of Dark Siege and Dark Reign

Reason # 3 Introduction to Justin Hammer, the man responsible hacking Iron Man's armor, the man responsible for exposing Tony Stark alcoholism, and The man CEO and Founder of H.A.M.M.E.R. He plays a pivitol role in the upcoming Iron Man 2 Movie.

Reason #4 Iron Man Vs SubMarnier

Reason #5 First full appearance of Jim Rhodes , the man who later becomes Iron Man, later becomes War Machine, and he plays a pivitol role in the upcoming Iron Man 2 Movie. See This Thread

Agree ?? Disagree??

I recently bought the hardcover Demon in a Bottle collection - it was great. I read it as a kid back in the day but I still enjoyed it as an adult. (thumbs u

Rhodey does indeed appear in two panels of #118 - both of which he speaks in.

There was a thread recently discussing this - similar to the discussions that crop up every now and then about Wolive, Thanos and Moon Knights brief appearance as a dream. And lets not forget Cap/Acrobat in ST#114

Agree ?? Disagree??

Disagree.

IM 118 or 120 or whatever are hot right now because of movie hype. Once that passes, the demand for these passes.

GL 76's popularity on the other hand is not based on any movie hype.

I dont agree . its a cool book and a book to own for us bronze collectors BUT alot of movie hype. It not GL 76.

Now if Neal Adams had drawn it in 1970, and it was deemed "ultra rare in high-grade", the sky's the limit in a CGC world.

I totally disagree, and while it is a cool book, it's also the most overrated comic since Conan #1.

Plus Jim Rhodes first appearance was IM 118.

Fixed that for you.

Ok, I'll give you guys that it is not a GL 76.

However, there has been a climb on the book here are the Numbers:

Every Comiclink Iron Man #120 9.8 has been bought or on a waiting list within the past month. (No it is not me) There were Five

Recently ebay listing have been moving and been climbing value

Previous value $50, now closing 70-80 range.

I totally disagree, and while it is a cool book, it's also the most overrated comic since GL/GA 76.

Plus Jim Rhodes first appearance was IM 118.

GL/GA 76 is a big piece of poopoo and me not like it at all

Fixed that for ya. (thumbs u

Actually, back in the day, Iron Man 115 was heralded as an emerging key issue (first Romita, start of major storyline, etc.), and is even listed in that early-80's Comic Collector Guide thingie that Marvel inserted in some comics of the time.

I do think 120 is a great read, though they did make his "gimme another martini" and the direction they were taking it, just a bit too obvious. :insane:

I also remember being sure (at the time) that the old guy was going to be Subby's long-lost father, or uncle, or something like that.

Ok, I'll give you guys that it is not a GL 76.

However, there has been a climb on the book here are the Numbers:

Every Comiclink Iron Man #120 9.8 has been bought or on a waiting list within the past month. (No it is not me) There were Five

Recently ebay listing have been moving and been climbing value

Previous value $50, now closing 70-80 range.

The climb is attributed to speculators riding the hype associated with the upcoming appearance of Justin Hammer and the alcoholism storyline (starts to take shape in the movie as well) more than anything. The same thing with Obadiah Stane. #163 was "hot". Even though his first appearance really is #166 :baiting:

As stated before. Once the hype is over this book will go back down.

I also remember being sure (at the time) that the old guy was going to be Subby's long-lost father, or uncle, or something like that.

That would've made sense since he looked like Namor when Torch found him back in FF#4

It could become a player as more and more people are becoming aware that alcohol abuse is just as deadly as drug abuse. so yeah if the Spidey/GL books about drugs are considered a semi- key,then this book the first book that deals with alcohol abuse could take off as a semi-key like those as well. good job to catch21 for pointing this out. (thumbs u

...as more and more people are becoming aware that alcohol abuse is just as deadly as drug abuse. so yeah if the Spidey/GL books about drugs are considered a semi- key...

I think people are 100% more aware nowadays about alcohol abuse and such. And actually this (along with the movie hype) has propelled #128 in recent years.

I believe if there is an even more heightened awareness on alcohol abuse due to Iron Man movie, it will further boost #128 rather than the #120.

Maybe even #182, a key turning point in his struggle...

182-1.jpg