• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holocaust in GA Comics
1 1

80 posts in this topic

I believe there is at least one Atlas war book from the early 50's that references concentration camps, and famously, Impact #1 features the story "Master Race", which IIRC references the holocaust.

A concentration camp is shown in one of the insets on this cover.

RealLife3new.jpg

I believe there is at least one Atlas war book from the early 50's that references concentration camps, and famously, Impact #1 features the story "Master Race", which IIRC references the holocaust.
There are Atlas horror/suspense books with holocaust references in the stories.

RealLife3new.jpg

it is this scan that prompted me to pay ciorac and OUTRAGEOUS sum of cash for a low grade copy of this book...

RealLife3new.jpg

it is this scan that prompted me to pay ciorac and OUTRAGEOUS sum of cash for a low grade copy of this book...
Where's my commission! :cry:

RealLife3new.jpg

Where's my commission! :cry:
I am sure a brinks truck will be arriving at your doorstep any moment now

Does anyone know if Real Life 3 is the earliest concentration camp reference on a comic cover? GCD doesn't have dates for the run, but since it began in 1941 I would guess it predates Mystic 10 (Aug 1942)

Of course, there is a difference between the Holocaust and Concentration Camps, although for the generations post-WWII it is a difference without a distinction.

Dachau was a Concentration Camp that was set up as early as 1933 as I recall for undesirables and political prisoners. There were "work" Concentration Camps (Dachau) and "death" Concentration Camps (Auschwitz), which of course does not mean that thousands upon thousands of people were not murdered at a work Camp. They absolutely were, but that was not the primary purpose of the facility.

The public knew of Concentration Camps prior to WWII, but what wasn't publicly known was the truth as to what was happening. Newspapers were reporting on Jews going missing throughout Europe in the early years of the War but to where was not known. I don't think it was until 1943 that the USGOVT admits it really started to know and publicly more around 1944. Of course, that is not to say there were not bits and pieces of information coming out of Europe that, especially in hindsight, provide critical evidence that we should have known what was going on.

BTW, my grandfather was the American Army Chaplain who led the religious services for the survivors at Dachau in May 1945. I co-edited a book detailing the experiences that was published in 2004. If anyone is interested in additional information, just let me know.

I believe there is at least one Atlas war book from the early 50's that references concentration camps

I am sure you mean Atrocity Story from Battlefield # 2 in particular Pages 5 and 6 -

1171_o.jpg

1172_o.jpg

There is another one as well ... but it's escaping me at the moment. I'll post the info once I remember it.

BTW, my grandfather was the American Army Chaplain who led the religious services for the survivors at Dachau in May 1945. I co-edited a book detailing the experiences that was published in 2004. If anyone is interested in additional information, just let me know.

I would be interested in more info :)

I have had the pleasure of taking a Holocaust survivor to speak at my wife's middle school for the last 3 years, and the experiences she had were both incredible and horrifying. I was very glad I had that opportunity.

The story is posted in its entirety and you can see larger size scans (click on Super-Size) at AtlasTales.com. Here's the direct link -

Battlefield # 2

Story was written by Hank Chapman and illustrated by the (way under-appreciated) Paul Reinman (thumbs u

Book is cover dated June 1952 so should predate Master Race (?) but I didn't check.

Can you post full scans of "Atrocity Story"?

Did it pre or post-date "Master Race"?

And who was the artist/writer?

The story is found here: http://allthingsger.blogspot.com/2009/06/never-again-friday-comic-book-day.html

It pre-dated "Master Race" by three years.

The artist may have been Paul Reinman.

Scrooge,

Thanks a lot! I tried to answer my own questions, but you beat me to it (and I didn't see before I posted) and I appreciate the confirmation it was Paul Reinman. I was going off of GCD information that had a ?

Does anyone know if Real Life 3 is the earliest concentration camp reference on a comic cover? GCD doesn't have dates for the run, but since it began in 1941 I would guess it predates Mystic 10 (Aug 1942)

I would consider Mystic 6 to be a concentration camp cover, though it doesn't use the actual words. Very similar visual motifs as Mystic 10, with the walls and towers.

Mystic 6 is from October 1941, which I believe predates Real Life 3 by a month.

(not my book...)

94437.jpg.5a3e342c751dd5a4546e593fafe105a7.jpg