• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now thats some shipping charges

62 posts in this topic

I have to agree. I know Jerry is a quality seller, but optics are everything when it comes to ebay auctions. He is needlessly scaring off some buyers out there.

Shipping markups are just one of those things that really rub me the wrong way (shrug) and I'm sure many others feel the same way.

I agree.When I sell a single catd on ebay I put it into a screwdown-1.00

a 200ct cardboxes .50 peanuts,a DC and first class shipping for 3.26 and people think this is to much.

This has got to be a mistake. Jerry Wiest is a CHAMPION in comics history. Sweet, gentle man, honest as the day is long.

You would be hard pressed to find someone with as much history alive today as that man.

I know this......which is why this auction is so messed up. Anyone who is a stranger to Jerry is gonna do a double take on this auction, thinking he might get charged $39.10 for shipping and handling.....refuse to pay it.....and then get banned by ebay for not following through with a legal binding business sale.

Jerry is a good guy I'm sure. I know he has been around for a very long time. But still.....this needs to be fixed ....and the correct shipping charges listed. :sumo:

This is probably not a mistake on the shipping charges. If you look through his other items up for auction, this price is in line with other shipping charges he has listed. He charges so much for the shipping and then, depending on his "estimated value", he charges for insurance and handling.

I have purchased books from Jerry and he has always given top notch service and packaging. But he does charge in line with the price in this auction.

He does also allow for different charges pending your desires, but the listed charge is probably the bottom charge, or close to it. IMO.

Great seller though. He knows his stuff and his feedback shows it.

If I remember correctly, it cost me about 32 bucks for shipping of two $40 slabs, maybe a year or so ago.

See....thats just . I have sold on ebay before, and I can pack a super secure book in cardboard and send it for $5.00 . Anyone who charges more than that I know is makin money off the shipping. I had to "handle' the book just as much as he does...... rantrant

That guy is crazy. If there was a blocked sellers list he'd be on mine so I don't mistakenly bid on his stuff

Good for you. Perhaps try buying from the man first before spouting off. BEST seller on Ebay bar none and I wish he did conventions. His actual shipping charges aren't what is stated and the amount you will pay for shipping will be very close to what he will actually pay the post office. But I think you all should avoid his auctions, maybe I'll get some deals. :devil:

Why would you buy first from a guy that advertised outrageous shipping charges. I don't care if his name is Jesus...wait, that's been used already. But you get my point. This guy's marketing strategy needs a lot of work.

hmm, let's see which does not belong

jerry weist:

1)discovered the white mountain collection

2)instrumental in getting Sotheby's to hold the first comic book auction

3)published the first price guide for comic book art

4)ripping people off on shipping

the shoot first, ask questions later mentality on here is tiresome

You're right, #4 doesn't belong. But how is that the buyer's fault? :baiting:

See....thats just . I have sold on ebay before, and I can pack a super secure book in cardboard and send it for $5.00 . Anyone who charges more than that I know is makin money off the shipping. I had to "handle' the book just as much as he does...... rantrant

It states in the auction that it includes insurance, and how do we know if he is not including a signature confirmation? It is costing him about $10 with that. Is his shippin price really that crazy?

Summary for a Priority Mail® Small Flat Rate Box

mailed from MASSAPEQUA PARK NY 11762 to GLOUCESTER MA 01931 on March 8

Mailing Summary Your Cost

Priority Mail® Small Flat Rate Box $4.95

Insurance (Amount of Insurance $90.00) 2.25

Signature Confirmation® 2.35

Total $9.55

Estimated shipping time from MASSAPEQUA PARK NY 11762 to GLOUCESTER MA 01931 (Zone 2) is 2 days.

It states in the auction that it includes insurance, and how do we know if he is not including a signature confirmation? It is costing him about $10 with that. Is his shippin price really that crazy?

Total $9.55

Estimated shipping time from MASSAPEQUA PARK NY 11762 to GLOUCESTER MA 01931 (Zone 2) is 2 days.

Yea, but he is charging $39.10 for shipping AND handling

jerry weist:

:applause:

Tiresome is an understatement. Jerry is not out to try to rip people off for a few bucks. Quite the opposite in fact.

One of you guys that are his bud should tell him that........

he is losing business

I definitely can't tell from the looks of the already high bids on the material.

His high shipping charges are keeping in from being a Top-Rated seller (his 4.6 score in detailed seller ratings for S&H charges). Because of this, he is losing a 20% discount on total eBay fees. I think he is being penny wise and pound foolish.

My only experience with Jerry is that I have looked over some beautiful higher grade Strange Tales he sold a buddy of mine. His grading was extremely tight. I like to think that I'm a relatively picky grader, and my buddy is even pickier, but there was nothing to complain about in that group of books.

If Jerry said it was a 9.0 in the listing, it was at least that, and potentially a little higher.

How often do you get comics on Ebay that are better than you were expecting?

That's worth paying a little extra for shipping most of the time.

I just factor the higher shipping charges into what I am willing to pay. I'm unlikely to buy a $10 comic from Jerry, but on a lot of books that will run $500, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be happier buying from Jerry and paying a little extra in shipping and getting well-graded, carefully packaged books.

jerry weist:

:applause:

Tiresome is an understatement. Jerry is not out to try to rip people off for a few bucks. Quite the opposite in fact.

One of you guys that are his bud should tell him that........

he is losing business

I definitely can't tell from the looks of the already high bids on the material.

Total $9.55

Did you bother reading his listing? It say $15 and change for domestic. You are quoting the price for a book shipped to England and then comparing it to a domestic price.

Total $9.55

Did you bother reading his listing? It say $15 and change for domestic. You are quoting the price for a book shipped to England and then comparing it to a domestic price.

When I click on that auction it says shipping is $28.15.

My only experience with Jerry is that I have looked over some beautiful higher grade Strange Tales he sold a buddy of mine. His grading was extremely tight. I like to think that I'm a relatively picky grader, and my buddy is even pickier, but there was nothing to complain about in that group of books.

If Jerry said it was a 9.0 in the listing, it was at least that, and potentially a little higher.

How often do you get comics on Ebay that are better than you were expecting?

That's worth paying a little extra for shipping most of the time.

I just factor the higher shipping charges into what I am willing to pay. I'm unlikely to buy a $10 comic from Jerry, but on a lot of books that will run $500, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be happier buying from Jerry and paying a little extra in shipping and getting well-graded, carefully packaged books.

I've never purchased from Jerry but I agree, an extra $5 or $10 for shipping is a small price to pay for quality, expertly graded books. I've never heard a bad word about Jerry and that is amazing considering how long and how influential he has been in the hobby.

Total $9.55

There is a small flat-rate box that holds comics for $4.95? (I don't like to use the envelopes because I want the extra protection.)

There is a small flat-rate box that holds comics for $4.95? (I don't like to use the envelopes because I want the extra protection.)

No - comics don't fit in the small flat-rate box, however, if you use the right packing materials you can use a regular smaller priority box and keep the weight under one pound for 1-2 books, and pay about $5.50 at the going postal rates right now.

These are the ones you want: 1097s

edit: actually, you can ship comics in the small flat rate box....., if you fold them neatly :grin:small flat rate box

Do you really think that is what he would charge you? Obviously that is an error with such an established dealer.

In reference to anybody charging over $5 for shipping is ripping people off, what exactly is the price range of books you are shipping? I could never ship a book with Prioty Mail and insurance for $5.