• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ADVENTURE COMICS # 73:rare?

51 posts in this topic

this is the rarest copy in the world...worth 2 mellion dollares easy!

Easy on the coke zero Gator. You starting to blather on and frothing at the mouth :makepoint:

Not only that but his spelling is atrocious. It's meeellion :makepoint:

I traded away my 75 ..."Villain of Valhalla" after I found out about the Sandman reprint volume. It's probably my favorite of the batch and I got it in a Heritage auction at guide. The dealer I traded it to still has it a year later. 10 years ago these things would have turned quickly at multiples...not anymore. About the only S&K stuff that is still aggressive is the Cap material...and I have no idea why. The Kirby stuff used to be top shelf. Boy Commandos have some of his best work and they frequently go for half guide, as do the Star Spangled.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm not a fan of Kirby's GA work, at least until the 1950s when his work started resembling its prime SA form. Everyone in his 1940s GA work looks all long and stringy, like a universe of Manute Bols.

I traded away my 75 ..."Villain of Valhalla" after I found out about the Sandman reprint volume. It's probably my favorite of the batch and I got it in a Heritage auction at guide. The dealer I traded it to still has it a year later. 10 years ago these things would have turned quickly at multiples...not anymore. About the only S&K stuff that is still aggressive is the Cap material...and I have no idea why. The Kirby stuff used to be top shelf. Boy Commandos have some of his best work and they frequently go for half guide, as do the Star Spangled.GOD BLESS...

I'm not a fan of Kirby's GA work, at least until the 1950s when his work started resembling its prime SA form. Everyone in his 1940s GA work looks all long and stringy, like a universe of Manute Bols.

We know, you're a neatness freak with a passion for static, simple art. Not sure why you don't faint when you try to read a Kirby FF story. :baiting:

Thanks Bat-Man!

Love raw books myself. See the need for slabbing when I sell, but willing to take a shot if the price is right. I like to read my books before the mylar. Never been a high grade freak, just a collector!

We know, you're a neatness freak with a passion for static, simple art. Not sure why you don't faint when you try to read a Kirby FF story. :baiting:

I am but a simple man of simple tastes.

Anyways, it's easy to see that drawing Mr Fantastic came easy to Kirby, since he'd been drawing all of his 40s characters that way, notwithstanding that none of them possessed powers of super-elasticity.

About the only S&K stuff that is still aggressive is the Cap material...

The S&K Captain America material is of course great - along with the Sandman - but I also very much enjoy their early secondary work in titles like Blue Bolt, Prize, Crash, etc.

The S&K Vision in Marvel Mystery is pretty cool, too.

The S&K Captain America material is of course great - along with the Sandman - but I also very much enjoy their early secondary work in titles like Blue Bolt, Prize, Crash, etc.

(thumbs u

When I first heard "S&M" about a decade ago at first I thought it was a naughty act :blush:

(thumbs u

When I first heard "S&M" about a decade ago at first I thought it was a naughty act :blush:

I remember telling a fellow at a convention in the early 90's that I had always wanted a Boy Explorers 1.....and he arched an eye brow and said, " that sounds...er...interesting". I'm a Kirby fan through and through and like all his work regardless of time frame. GOD BLESS...

BE #1 actually has a pretty cool cover, and Kirby's love of kid gang stories made them among his most entertaining (though I've never read BE - so I can't say for sure there).

S&K's late forties - mid fifties stuff is much better than their early work, and if they'd been illustrating better known characters at the time I think more collectors would appreciate that.