• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ADVENTURE COMICS # 73:rare?

51 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADVENTURE-COMICS-73-CGC-5-0-OWP-MANHUNTER-SCARCE_W0QQitemZ400107230132QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d283fd3b4

So is this book really that rare that it warrants a 10k asking price for a 5.0?

I'm not bashing the asking price just curious as I only collect Marvel and dont have much knowledge of the book.Maybe someone can tell me what makes it rare :)

I'm certainly not the end-all authority on this book but it does seem quite steep. I don't recall ever having an Adventure of any number that flew off the rack, especially at that high a premium.

I would have to say that if one sold for $4500 in 6.5 two years ago, you'd be better off to put $10K in something else.

It's certainly not common....but t's not any harder to find than the 77 or 78. The Adventures from 73-80 feature 2 S&K features( Sandman and Manhunter) plus Starman by Burnley and Hourman by Bailey...a real all star lineup as far as creators go. Very cool books that ooze GA inventiveness. The 73 is the first Manhunter, but his day in the sun has kind of come and gone. The deluxe reprint volume that collect all the S&K Sandman stories probably didn't help the desirability of the originals either. Still a very neat book however...just not at 10K. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The terms "scarce" and "rare" are often highly overused and exaggerated on ebay. :gossip:

The internet has nearly rendered the term "rare" obsolete. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Probably shouldn't say this until i get a copy, but who care about #73, now #79, tell me that is not a top goldenage war cover. Adventure #73 is more oldschool expensive than Marvel Comics #1, and I love Marvel Comics #1.

Bruce

I think it's used too much everywhere. These days there are very few that are actually scarce or rare. I raised this question in another topic about the Gerber scarcity index, a lot of those books just aren't scarce anymore. And then with some there may only be 10 known copies but there's only two people that want it anyway.

The coolness of the issue isn't a question but scarcity and price is so far at the other end of the spectrum for this one.

Buy it cause you love it cause you'd have to keep it for a while.

The terms "scarce" and "rare" are often highly overused and exaggerated on ebay. :gossip:

Scarce is used in Overstreet for this book as well, not just ebay.

Bruce

So it is. (thumbs u

I've been saying this for awhile but these types of designations need to be re-evaluated.

And the term "classic cover" .

It's very annoying. It's seems every comic posted on eBay in the title either says CLASSIC COVER , RARE, SCARCE, and on the rare occasions the title contains all 3 terms!!