• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic stuff in LA?

23 posts in this topic

Hi Gang,

I just spent the last 8 hours in an airplane going cost to coast. It's my first time here in the Los Angeles area---any cool comic hangouts you can recommend?

(you might be a drooling FanBoy if you go to a cool city and the only thing you are thinking about is where are the comic joints)

Yeah, go to the Mile High Comics store in Garden Grove and check out the Daredevil #168 CGC 8.5 VF+ that is on sale there for $1,000 (not a misprint). I saw it there months ago, but I am SURE it's still there.

Hi Gang,

I just spent the last 8 hours in an airplane going cost to coast. It's my first time here in the Los Angeles area---any cool comic hangouts you can recommend?

(you might be a drooling FanBoy if you go to a cool city and the only thing you are thinking about is where are the comic joints)

While I haven't been to the first one your mentioned, Geoffrey's. Golden Apple has expanded so much it's difficult to walk through it. Too much other [!@#%^&^] crowding the store, which I guess they feel they need to stay in business. The have very little back issue, as most of has sold, and they do not actively buy backissues.

Hi-De-Ho is worth visiting, as they do have a lot of back issues, although probably none in VF+ or higher. They also have a small collection of older issues in their safe, which you have to ask to see. Most of these are overvalued, but it's nice to look anyway.

Damn, you Lighthouse, move to LA!! 893frustrated.gif

Damn, you Lighthouse, move to LA!!

I was born in Orange County... and spent my very early years in Santa Ana, would have attended Mater Dei had we stayed... but I have no plans to move back any time soon...

I recommend a guy in LA named John Dolmayan, who has a booth each year at WonderCon in SF. I don't have his number handy, unfortunately, and he doesn't seem to have a website - at least not for comics... he's the drummer for a band called "System of a Down," which I know nothing about. But he's a very good guy and I highly recommend him. Anyone on the boards living in the LA area know of this guy?

I recommend a guy in LA named John Dolmayan, who has a booth each year at WonderCon in SF. I don't have his number handy, unfortunately, and he doesn't seem to have a website - at least not for comics... he's the drummer for a band called "System of a Down," which I know nothing about. But he's a very good guy and I highly recommend him. Anyone on the boards living in the LA area know of this guy?

He regularly has a booth at two local cons here in LA, a monthly con at the Shrine Auditorium and a weekly collectible show at Frank & Sons. He does have a great selection of SA and BA books, both Marvel and DC.

He regularly has a booth at two local cons here in LA, a monthly con at the Shrine Auditorium and a weekly collectible show at Frank & Sons. He does have a great selection of SA and BA books, both Marvel and DC.

I've actually picked up some nice high grade GA books from him at WonderCon the past two years...DC, Fiction House, etc. He also had some nice Timelys I was eyeing. As far as I know, he only sells raw books, but his grading is tight and his prices are very good.

I've actually picked up some nice high grade GA books from him at WonderCon the past two years...DC, Fiction House, etc. He also had some nice Timelys I was eyeing. As far as I know, he only sells raw books, but his grading is tight and his prices are very good.

That's too funny... Several of my female employees have been big System of a Down fans... I guess the band is quite popular with the stripper set... I'm sure they have absolutely no idea that the drummer sells Golden Age comics in his spare time... foreheadslap.gif

I'm a System of a Down fan, though I'm not a stripper (not that there's anything wrong with that). I have to say that a guy who makes as much money as he must from his day job must really like comic books if he works as a dealer on the side. Good for him.

That's too funny... Several of my female employees have been big System of a Down fans... I guess the band is quite popular with the stripper set... I'm sure they have absolutely no idea that the drummer sells Golden Age comics in his spare time... foreheadslap.gif

He does have a hand full of slabbed books, but the bulk of his inventory is raw books. He has a couple ASM #1's and a couple Batman #2's.

I know nothing about contemporary music - ignorance is bliss in this regard, IMO - and when I did a quick Google search on Dolmayan was surprised to see all this SoaD stuff come back...but it's definitely the same guy. He always seems so laid back in his dealings at the Cons, I wondered what was up with him - he's just too easygoing, too ready to negotiate, etc. Maybe it's the strippers and the band $... regardless, he gets an A+ in my book.

I am going to be looking out for him at Wondercon. I am still looking for a nice ASM #1!

I know nothing about contemporary music - ignorance is bliss in this regard, IMO - and when I did a quick Google search on Dolmayan was surprised to see all this SoaD stuff come back...but it's definitely the same guy. He always seems so laid back in his dealings at the Cons, I wondered what was up with him - he's just too easygoing, too ready to negotiate, etc. Maybe it's the strippers and the band $... regardless, he gets an A+ in my book.

He is always at the Frank and Sons show every week in the Pomona area. I heard he has some nice books, but I have never checked it out for myself because everytime I went his booth was closed. makepoint.gif

Quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn, you Lighthouse, move to LA!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was born in Orange County... and spent my very early years in Santa Ana, would have attended Mater Dei had we stayed... but I have no plans to move back any time soon...

Hey Lighthouse, I was born in Costa Mesa, and I did go to Mater Dei. Small world!