• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your 9.9's, and 10.0's

63 posts in this topic

None of these ARE mine but they all WERE mine 2 years back so I thought you all deserved a look nonetheless.

1st book belongs to Worldsbestcomics now as I sold it to him:

1583257-166y.JPG

I WANT MY BOOK BACK STEVE!!!!!!!!!!!! lol just kidding bud, well not really but you know.... :-)

Next couple went to fellow board member ComicBubba

1583273-265y.JPG

ASM245.jpg

1583265-262x.JPG

And last but not least the rest of these went to fellow collector in the UK that is not on the boards so I will post them as well

ASM255.jpg

ASM268.jpg

1583293-ASM297cgc99y.JPG

1583288-275y.JPG

I`m lost for a pic of my ASM263-CGC-9.9 unfortunately.

Rich

Where do 9.9s and 10s typically come from, if anyone has successfully submitted a 9.9 or 10 how did you do it and where did you acquire the book? Do printers intentionally try to produce a few gems for collectors? Finally, anybody know the name or info on the printing company that did marvel books, specifically the 88 Wolverine run? There's a few questions for the demi-gods of CGC give me your best answers, conspiracy speculation encouraged as well lol:)

Where do 9.9s and 10s typically come from, if anyone has successfully submitted a 9.9 or 10 how did you do it and where did you acquire the book? Do printers intentionally try to produce a few gems for collectors?

9.9s and 10s are freaks of nature. They shouldn't, by all rights, exist, especially 10s. For a 10 to survive from the 80's, it would have to have lived raw for at least a decade, usually more, before CGC existed. While a few companies (like IDW) have very high production values, which lend themselves to uber grades, I seriously doubt there was a single company doing that in the 1980's.

Add to that the fact that CGC is (a tad) overprotective of the 9.9 and 10 grades, and for anything printed before the year 2000, it's really just luck of the draw. I have two Copper books self-subbed, one at 10 (DHP #56), and the other a 9.9 (Black Orchid Preview.)

I have about 600 long boxes. That's about 125,000 books. I *seriously* doubt I'll be able to pull more than 3-5 more 1980's 9.9s/10s out of that mass of books.

That's just how hard to find flawless 80's books really are.

9.9s and 10s from the era typically come from a single owner (though both of mine did not) who had an eye to the flawless even back then, bagged and boarded it under perfect conditions, and then didn't touch it again.

Finally, anybody know the name or info on the printing company that did marvel books, specifically the 88 Wolverine run? There's a few questions for the demi-gods of CGC give me your best answers, conspiracy speculation encouraged as well lol:)

They were printed at a company called Quebecor in Montreal. Marvel phased out printing books at World Color in Sparta in the 80's, which had printed its books since 1939.

Super answer thanks so much! Yeah, for me a "10" would be something compared to a "proof set" of coins, something that came straight from production, inspected and sealed / protected without ever being sold/ handled by anyone. If you use that as a yardstick then in theory NO 10's should exist because printers don't do that, at least not in the 80s some may do it now just for that reason. I'd be curious to compare a 10 to a 9.9 to see what cgc accepts to keep a book over 9.8 but under 10, has to be microscopic I would imagine.

And again thanks for dropping the knowledge on me about the Marvel printers good to know!

Next question, anybody know who owns the Hulk 181 9.9 and what's the last price it sold for? And we're off.....

Where do 9.9s and 10s typically come from, if anyone has successfully submitted a 9.9 or 10 how did you do it and where did you acquire the book? Do printers intentionally try to produce a few gems for collectors? Finally, anybody know the name or info on the printing company that did marvel books, specifically the 88 Wolverine run? There's a few questions for the demi-gods of CGC give me your best answers, conspiracy speculation encouraged as well lol:)

That Action Comic 1 reprint in 9.9 I bought new and bagged and boarded it asap it then sat in a long box. When I subbed it I really expected a 9.8 and was really happy with the 9.9 and now Comicdonna is the proud owner of it. Every other 9.9 I have gotten has been a modern and no 10 for me as of yet.

So when you say you bought it new did you buy it off of a stand, a store or straight out of a box from the publisher? I would think shipping alone would ding up most books enough to drop them out of 9.9 range and you'd need one that came from the middle of a stack for a chance at perfection.

Like you said your 9.9s have been moderns that makes sense as the older ones would have to be stored for some time before cgc was even around. Are the older books graded relative to their time period? By that I mean do they consider that older printing techniques, paper quality, shipping methods etc along with storage materials available (mylar vs poly) might make it simply impossible that older books could not have survived in 9.9 shape. I guess my question is, are there different grading standards for different time periods? Would a 9.9 of a book published in 2005 have to be MORE perfect than a 9.9 published in 1970, allowing for the natural degradation that would occur? Thanks

LM410