• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Hanley's Universe $25.00 fill a box sale. See inside for details.

17 posts in this topic

hm

I can stop by there and let anyone who wants to know the make up of the discounted material. Not picking up anything for anyone, however, so no want lists please. :o

I would bet it's relatively recent back issues, 2000 forward, rather than anything vintage.

sounds like recent post-85 stuff, they are very expensive on anything remotely vintage (and mark recent stuff pretty expensive too). i once spent an hour rummaging through their long boxes and could not find a single thing remotely worth buying at their marked prices. also, the problem is, parking around there is an absolute brute (as is driving in general). i'd have to have my wife drop me off and swing by an hour or two later.

with that said, in terms of new off the rack stuff they do have a ton of oddball stuff there (stuff you just don't see elsewhere and would likely never find out about) and it is an interesting place to go to.`

and seriously, you don't think the staff & friends get to cherry pick this stuff first?

The last time I stopped in there was to meet Kevin Van Hook when he was signing his Superman and Batman vs. Vampires and Werewolves book for DC a couple years ago.

Nice guy!

And you're right, back issues are not the reason to shop there.

I wish I was there. I love bargain bin deals. I'm sure I would find something I wanted. I bought several longboxes worth of stuff when my LCS closed down. Mostly stuff I had never read. Got my first taste of Age Of Bronze through that purchase :)

I was there on my Harley Quinn search and actually found two for only 3.00 each. Not bad. However, they had Wednesday comics priced at $6.00. Made me chuckle as I would think these would be in a .50¢ bin.

Parking is a bear down there but if you don't mind walking some there is parking around 10 blocks down.

Do you think this is a short box for $25? Since they say it's about 200 comics, that's what I'd expect. Though it's rare for stores to be giving people short boxes or have extra shorts.

I have no idea. I am curious about the sale myself. The cheapest price I ever saw was an LCS in CT that was give prepacked shorts for $35. You did not get to select your comics either. I think he did ok with that sale.

If anyone goes there on Saturday report back on the type of pickings there are and etc.

I know of a shop that gives prepacked boxes for $20. I think the boxes are about the same as a shortbox but it's a brown moving box. It is literally the worst comic shop I have ever been to, and just looking at what he has on his shelves I don't even want to know what's in the box he doesn't want me looking in.

When I was a kid I lived a few minutes from his Store Jim Hanleys Universe on Staten Island NY and when I worked in Manhattan I worked down the block from his manhattan Store. One of y favorite stores ( other then Midtown Comics) . I got back into comics after 20 years when I went into his Staten Island store to sell some of y old books from when I was a kid. After being told they were worth 3 cents a issue I wound up leaving there with $85 in comics. Saw this venom dude and purchased $85 in spiderman and Venom stuff. Went back the next weekend and purchased Avengers #4 for $150 from them. Great memories. Moved from NY so been a long time since I have been there. Would be all over this if I still did.