• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anaheim submits proposal to move San Diego Comic-Con

110 posts in this topic

This submittal from Anaheim is just the beginning. I'm sure the LA convention center will also submit, and Vegas, and probably many others.

Another problem with Anaheim...how much hotel space will actually be available in July for Comic-Con? That's the busy season for Disneyland, and I would think that a good chunk of hotel space would be swallowed up by tourists wearing mouse ears.

Las Vegas is the only city on the west coast that could allow Comic-Con to grow from it's current size. Airport minutes away and more hotel rooms and convention space than any other city in the country. With all that being said...

Vegas in July, and Comic-Con? :screwy:

Las Vegas is the only city on the west coast that could allow Comic-Con to grow from it's current size. Airport minutes away and more hotel rooms and convention space than any other city in the country. With all that being said...

And it would be the end of any kind of family aspect to Comic-Con.

And it would be the end of any kind of family aspect to Comic-Con.

You are right Jeff, I should have said:

Las Vegas and Comic-Con? :screwy:

Here's a crazy idea for Comic-Con. Stop growing. If attendance is currently capped at 125K, and there are complaints that the hall is too crowded, then scale back and cap it at 100K. Or, as others have suggested, expand the con to a full week.

Moving the convention is not the only way to solve Comic-Con's problems.

for comic-con to stop growing, they could get rid of any non-comic related tv shows, movies. toys & video games. or they could move some of the big previews to petco park.

last year, i was shut out of the avatar preview because people camped out for the twilight movie preview.

my first comic-con was in 1996 and attendance was about 35000 and big hall h wasn't built out yet. there was not a big hollywood presence then.

j

LAX sucks

'nuff said

But you'd probably want to fly into John Wayne for Anaheim.

Not from Canada. LA sucks for traffic. :sick:

You could, but it would be a connecting flight in Seattle. Long Beach would be another option, but again, you'd have to switch planes.

Is Ontario too far out? I used to fly in there if I could not get good prices for LAX.

for comic-con to stop growing, they could get rid of any non-comic related tv shows, movies. toys & video games. or they could move some of the big previews to petco park.

last year, i was shut out of the avatar preview because people camped out for the twilight movie preview.

my first comic-con was in 1996 and attendance was about 35000 and big hall h wasn't built out yet. there was not a big hollywood presence then.

j

Avatar was basically a CGI movie... The line between CGI and animation is pretty slim. You'd actually be hard pressed to actually name a movie that didn't tie in somehow to comics. Is Chuck comic related? (It has a DC comic.) Heroes? (Check) Big Bang Theory? (check.. comics make a regular appearance on that show.) Lost? (quasi-check: It's based on a comic.)

Clearly comic books don't bring in the 100,000+ crowds. I stopped going to San Diego because of the crowds and because I couldn't get in to any of the big events.

LAX sucks

'nuff said

You could, but it would be a connecting flight in Seattle. Long Beach would be another option, but again, you'd have to switch planes.

Is Ontario too far out? I used to fly in there if I could not get good prices for LAX.

I would've thought it would be further than LAX, but I just looked it up and it's 36 miles.

LAX sucks

'nuff said

I would've thought it would be further than LAX, but I just looked it up and it's 36 miles.

With traffic, Ontario is probably the better option. Smaller airport, less freeway hassle.

With the Wizard Con in April, those attending can be a slight idea of the facilities compared to SD.

One thing is for sure,you can't stop the con from growing.That sleeping giant is already awake.Either San Diego goes with an expansion,or it will go to Anaheim.I think the Wizard con is a precurser for the inevitable,to get a feel for how the con will do in Anaheim 2c

One thing is for sure,you can't stop the con from growing.That sleeping giant is already awake.Either San Diego goes with an expansion,or it will go to Anaheim.I think the Wizard con is a precurser for the inevitable,to get a feel for how the con will do in Anaheim 2c

Why assume it'll be Anaheim? Why not LA?

Hmmm... are you saying that Wizard World Anaheim is an attempt to supplant San Diego as the preeminent Comic convention? I hadn't considered that angle but it makes sense. (It's obvious, but I hadn't considered it as a move that would break San Diego's back.)

The date of the Anaheim convention then becomes crucial in the coming years. Right now, it's in April before the summer movie season.

A nationwide chain of Wizard Conventions would also make it easier to lock in guests or publishers/companies for both coasts. (Movies and television seasons happen all year around and not just in the summer... )

From a corporate perspective, dealing with one company is a lot easier than scheduling conventions/logistics with different producers.

Wizard World was a big failure,traffic is hell even without a con involved,less hotel space.etc.,etc. (shrug)

Hmmm... are you saying that Wizard World Anaheim is an attempt to supplant San Diego as the preeminent Comic convention? I hadn't considered that angle but it makes sense. (It's obvious, but I hadn't considered it as a move that would break San Diego's back.)

The date of the Anaheim convention then becomes crucial in the coming years. Right now, it's in April before the summer movie season.

A nationwide chain of Wizard Conventions would also make it easier to lock in guests or publishers/companies for both coasts. (Movies and television seasons happen all year around and not just in the summer... )

From a corporate perspective, dealing with one company is a lot easier than scheduling conventions/logistics with different producers.

This is my thinking sckao,and having Disney backing the whole thing.Just sayin'

Wizard World was a big failure,traffic is hell even without a con involved,less hotel space.etc.,etc. (shrug)

I'd have the same concerns with Anaheim. Too many hotels booked up by Disneyland tourists(we are talking July, after all), and nowhere to park outside of the Convention Center.

WWLA didn't work because the programming was sorely lacking. I attended, had no problem with traffic, and felt like I was done after walking the convention floor for 45 minutes.

I am a big Disney Park fanatic. I've been to Disneyland Paris over a 100 times, owner of Disney Vacation Club points, visited WDW 6 times and planning a next trip. I still need to get to Anaheim, but if the con moves to Anaheim, I will make sure I can combine a Con/Disney trip. (been way to long since I've been to the con, but as I was born in the wrong country it hasn't been easy to return for repeat visits)

http://www.disneymouselinks.com/disneyland-when-to-visit.aspx

The Disneyland Resort has two seasons, on season, and off-season. On season is considered summer starting in late June and ending Labor Day, Christmas (a two week period beginning the week before Christmas, ending New Years Day), and Spring Break. Off-season is every other time of year.

Wizard World Anaheim is currently Off-Season for Disneyland... which would be perfect for them.

Off Peak Season - Least Crowded

January Through Late February (Presidents' Day)

April Through the Week Before Memorial Day

Mid-September (After Labor Day) Through Mid-October (Columbus Day)

After Thanksgiving Through The Week Before Christmas

Average Attendence

Late February Through the Week Before Easter

Sundays except for Summer and Holiday Weekends

After Memorial Day Till Schools are out for Summer

After Columbus Day through Thanksgiving

Peak Season - Most Crowded

Saturdays

3 day Holiday Weeks

Week Before and After Easter

Summer (Schools are out) through Labor Day

Thanksgiving Weekend