• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ranking the Dealers

238 posts in this topic

Brian, if you would accept my own input on forthcoming lists, I would suggest basing online communication as a pillar of customer service. One of the more positive experiences I've had for instance has been with Doug Sulipa. If I email him with a request, he responds the same day, with all the pertinent details to expedite an order.

I have purchased extensively from Doug because of his sensibility and approach towards responding to inquiries in a timely basis. While I appreciate your opinion on his need to rehaul his Website (and using this as part of your ranking criteria), his communication form is a model for positive consumer experience that most dealers on that list should aspire to replicate. And quite frankly, there are a few on the list whose sites, although seeming more user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing than Doug's, act only as a mirage to a consumer model and online presence badly in need of rehaul based on my experience with not responding at all to inquiries coming in through any online channels they've built.

I agree that Andy Colman deserves to be on the list of best dealers. But I can't abide by those of you who insist on misspelling his last name. :insane:

Seriously though, Andy is a great dude, honest, a solid grader, and has a pretty broad inventory.

I wasn't going to say anything (as everybody has been very kind with their words) but Scott is correct here - no "e". :hi:

www.goldustcomics.com is the BOMB ....tight grading and fast shipping...great inventory.GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Brian, if you would accept my own input on forthcoming lists, I would suggest basing online communication as a pillar of customer service. One of the more positive experiences I've had for instance has been with Doug Sulipa. If I email him with a request, he responds the same day, with all the pertinent details to expedite an order.

I have purchased extensively from Doug because of his sensibility and approach towards responding to inquiries in a timely basis. While I appreciate your opinion on his need to rehaul his Website (and using this as part of your ranking criteria), his communication form is a model for positive consumer experience that most dealers on that list should aspire to replicate. And quite frankly, there are a few on the list whose sites, although seeming more user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing than Doug's, act only as a mirage to a consumer model and online presence badly in need of rehaul based on my experience with not responding at all to inquiries coming in through any online channels they've built.

The flip side to that is, if the website is designed well and very user friendly, then the need for much communication is diminished. Which, in my experience, is the model most online shoppers look for. They'd, and I'd, just as soon move on if the item they/I want is not easily found, seen, priced and described.

What about Ted from Superworld?

I met up with him in Boston last year and after many (very pleasant) talks he brought a wack of ASM's that I needed to the show and we worked out some really good prices on the lot.

Looking forward to seeing him in Toronto at the end of the month as he is a great guy with a deep inventory.

Thumbs up to Comiclink for me. No problems in paying and shipping on my 4 seperate multiple auction wins. Very open communications and they are okay if you need an extra week or two to pay as long as you stay in touch. Also, they offer GREAT BOMB PROOF shipping procedures to Canada and prices that CGC could learn from.

Ted should make the list. I've been really hard on Ted on this board over the years because of his loose grading. But I have to give him credit where credit is due. I recently gave him another shot based on a recomendation from a buddy who said he had cleaned up his act regarding grading. He really has judging from the last dozen or so books I bought from him. If he keeps grading well, I'll keep buying. He's always had a rep as being a great guy, hopefully he can add great grader to that too.

I would guess that Ted is probably just outside Brian's Top 10 list. In my experiences, his grading from Bronze up has always been very good. The older the book is, the looser the grades seem to get. But, I haven't bought online from him in awhile. And, all that said, he'll take returns without hassel and he is supremely easy to deal with.

I always, always make it a point to stop by his booth at shows. He always has great books, and he's one of the most pleasant and nice guys you'll run across. He has gone above and beyond for me more than once.

My very first experience with him was at B'more 2002 Con. I was just getting back into the hobby at that time and B'more was my first big con in many years. My collecting was all over the map, but I was mostly looking for Steranko books (Fury's, Caps, the 3 Xmen books). I went to Ted's booth and told him what I was looking for. Looked at a few of his books (probably bought one, I don't recall). Later on in the show, he sees me again and says "Hey, I found one of your books". He takes me over to another guys booth and shows me a sweet Xmen #49. I still have the book.

In my experience:

Harley: seems overpriced, therefore have never bought from him.

Brent: Never bought but like his board presence

Pedigree: Bad rep = no buy

Chuck: Can sometimes get a surprise accurate grade, but when buying a bunch of "NM" hole fillers for Flash 2nd series, I only considered 1 of about 20 or so keepers. Don't visit his sight anymore.

Sulipa: As mentioned earlier, his site sucks but when I send him a wantlist he responds and his grading has been exquisite in all my dealings with him. I rank him in my top 5.

Comiclink: Love their auctions, but hate the way 90% of the private listings are overvalued by the sellers. Wish they had some sort of policing policy in regards to the last.

Storms: Never had a problem with him. He grades very well and has accepted every single one of my offers on his books(and I've purchased a few). Has been nothing but pleasant.

Heritage: Like 'em. But I do not buy raw books from them anymore...for the important reason...overgrade.

Ritter: A great guy with great prices and a willingness to work out deals. Top 5.

Metro: Overpriced with the added bonus of being overgraders. Many a book has been returned for .5 to 2 points difference in grades.

Other thoughts:

Superworld: Ted is great and when he F's up he fixes the problem.

My number 1 dealer when seen as a whole is the CGC boards...most long-time members are great guys and grade conservatively. Is it because they fear board word-of-mouth? Not sure, but between Foolkiller, Namsgr, JJ, and various other boardies I have bought from, our group is the best. Good deals abound(if your fast enough and can devote 24 hours a day to watching).

I actually like Doug's site, and I believe it is probably the only way you can list "everything". If I am looking for a portfolio or Harvey comic, Atlas, Horror or a paperback Magazine etc. all the main heading's are there then you hammer through the rest, really quite quick.

Doug's site is like comparing apples to oranges, no other dealer carries the selection of item's Doug has. I have done numerous deals with Doug and from start to finish every transaction has been flawless. Busy guy, but never to busy to take a call if you have a question and even after all these years is very enthusiastic.

It may seem that I am waxing on here but about six years ago , my collecting "wants" and my collecting "budget" were at a Mexican standoff. I was doing a deal with Doug and asked him if he "trades" he replied with what type of items he is looking for and I sent my first batch of trades in for credit. I have done about 80 trades since and have never looked back. So for my two cents Doug is the #1 dealer on my list , he may not have the Metropolis "stock" but for the true comic enthusiast his accurate grading and variety of items and customer service more then equals the field.

(thumbs u

I'll rank 5 to 1 later this afternoon.

I would not agree w/ H. Yee at #1. He is in last place to me. This could be another thread. He sold me a FF 48 8.0 RAW and said it was not restored. I had it CGC, guess what it came back as? A 7.5 restored mod. He never tried to make it up or offer any refund. I will never buy from him nor reccommend him. This was my experience from him at the SF WonderCon.

That surely does not sound like Harley? did you ever give him the opportunity to rectify the situation?

Because the Harley I know will give you the shirt off his back to make things right. :sumo:(sumo reminds me of Harley) Or are you just a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed that did'nt tell him there was a problem and just decided to talk on a messgeboard? (shrug)

I actually like Doug's site, and I believe it is probably the only way you can list "everything". If I am looking for a portfolio or Harvey comic, Atlas, Horror or a paperback Magazine etc. all the main heading's are there then you hammer through the rest, really quite quick.

Doug's site is like comparing apples to oranges, no other dealer carries the selection of item's Doug has. I have done numerous deals with Doug and from start to finish every transaction has been flawless. Busy guy, but never to busy to take a call if you have a question and even after all these years is very enthusiastic.

It may seem that I am waxing on here but about six years ago , my collecting "wants" and my collecting "budget" were at a Mexican standoff. I was doing a deal with Doug and asked him if he "trades" he replied with what type of items he is looking for and I sent my first batch of trades in for credit. I have done about 80 trades since and have never looked back. So for my two cents Doug is the #1 dealer on my list , he may not have the Metropolis "stock" but for the true comic enthusiast his accurate grading and variety of items and customer service more then equals the field.

(thumbs u

:applause:

I would have to say that the best dealers I have dealt with are Bob Storms and Ritter. Bob is a collectors dealer IMO. As he genuinely works with his regulars, and gets to know them. After you have met him and conversed he is more of a friend than a dealer.

Ritter is another story. My FIRST dealing with him was a single book on his site, nothing expensive at all. But I had questions... Which all were answered, and the same day. After that I decided to email Stephen with a MUCH larger order. I sent him an offer, which he accepted. I asked him to bring the books to a convention I was attending, which he gladly did. As soon as I arrived to his booth he handed over my stack of books, and we had a nice conversation. Ever since I have made it a point to check his site daily, and always stop by his booth. And his raw grading is very tight as well. I bought a nice mid-grade Northland Detective as a 7.5 and CGC gave it that 7.5. Cant ask for much more than that.

Ritter and Storms get my vote for two of the best in the hobby (thumbs u

I would not agree w/ H. Yee at #1. He is in last place to me. This could be another thread. He sold me a FF 48 8.0 RAW and said it was not restored. I had it CGC, guess what it came back as? A 7.5 restored mod. He never tried to make it up or offer any refund. I will never buy from him nor reccommend him. This was my experience from him at the SF WonderCon.

That surely does not sound like Harley? did you ever give him the opportunity to rectify the situation?

Because the Harley I know will give you the shirt off his back to make things right. :sumo:(sumo reminds me of Harley) Or are you just a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed that did'nt tell him there was a problem and just decided to talk on a messgeboard? (shrug)

I called him several times and saw him again in person at SDCC. When I do Wonderson and SDCC, I skip his booth.

I called him several times and saw him again in person at SDCC. When I do Wondercon and SDCC, I skip his booth.

Chuck Rozanski (Mile High Comics)

Pros: Chuck’s website offers an incredible amount of material in both vintage and new material. He is an incredible voracious buyer and appears at shows both large and small buying huge bulk volume. In addition, Chuck is an incredible supplier to much of the world who buy back issues, trades and new books. His sales and codeword sales do, from time to time, bring bargains and reasonable buys. At shows, he can make some dealers’ shows by buying out their inventory and preventing them from disaster. Based on sheer volume alone, Chuck’s presence in the marketplace makes him a dealer that you absolutely have to acknowledge.

Cons: The grading at Mile High Comics is often inaccurate and sometimes deplorable, so for high end vintage, they really can’t be considered an option. In addition, I think their customer service is often dismissive and unfriendly. While Chuck himself is a pretty decent guy when you see him at shows, his staff isn’t really all that great. In addition, Chuck is a bit of an egomaniac and narcissist – obviously evident from his emails etc.

Overall: Chuck is an important factor in the hobby, and if you are looking to fill your run then Mile High has to be one of the options.

Foolkiller, I've really enjoyed going through your rankings and all the discussions in response. (thumbs u

On the most controversial one, Mile High, I don't see anything in your description that recommends them other than volume. I guess I'm surprised that volume alone would earn someone a positive review, let alone placement on a Top Ten list. Throw in the cons you mention, plus some you didn't (pricing, lack of scans), and I'm even more surprised.

He DID mention pricing.

Chuck and LoneStar are pretty close in terms of filling in holes for comic sets you just want to complete. (I.E. I used Chuck when he was having his sale to complete a massive amount of comic book limited series which I could then bundle together as a comic lot.)