• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many collectors in the U.S.?

53 posts in this topic

What's the current estimated number of comic book collectors in the U.S.?

How about number of stores?

What was the estimated number of stores and collectors back in 1992-1993, before the crash?

How many collectors in the U.S.?

Well lets start a count shall we...

1 :hi:

my ESTIMATED count is 3,456,786

What was the estimated number of stores and collectors back in 1992-1993, before the crash?

ESTIMATED, it was 1,534,567,978

again, these are purely ESTIMATED answers. lol

ESTIMATED, it was 1,534,567,978

Did that number include Paul's House of Comics and Fried Chicken in Escondido, California?

ESTIMATED, it was 1,534,567,979

Did that number include Paul's House of Comics and Fried Chicken in Escondido, California?

it will now.

I'd imagine Diamond could provide account 3's for stores. Maybe 2000 full time shops is my guess Back issue collectors or people reading new comics? New comics maybe 200,000 consistent reader/collectors I'm calling someone who buys new comics at least a few times a year as in the count. 1990's who really knows besides there were probably tens of thousands of stores.

Let's see. hmmm....

In the 1990's, there were 7 comic books specialty stores in the Cleveland area. Now there are 6 I believe. In Ohio at that time, there were maybe 45-50. Now maybe 25-30.

So, taking that as a starting point, I would say that now, there are maybe in the neighborhood of 2000 or so comic book stores, or stores that sell comics, cards and old toys together.

Back in the 90's, maybe there were 4500 or so.

Do Ebay stores count? Do investors count? Do flippers count? Does an LCS store owner count?

As to collectors, there were probably 500 thousand in the 90's and now maybe 250-300 thousand.

Just guessing.

It all goes back to what constitutes a "comic book collector". That has been discussed on other threads and there is no consensus here on this forum, for a diffinition.

As silly as it sounds, I believe a case could be made that someone who only collects slabbed books, is not a comic book collector. He/she is a comic book cover collector. Or an investor. Or a business man. Or a flipper. Or ........