• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few observations about Megacon. More of a market report.

58 posts in this topic

I had a boy about 11 years old buy a low grade Hulk #181. He was already short on cash, and I could tell he really wanted it. It would have been an easy sale at full price on ebay or at any show. I made eye contact with his mom and I could see it in her eyes that she really wanted to buy it for him, but wanted to be a good mother and not spoil the kid. I decided to cut the price in half, and I think it made the day for all three of us. He was really excited, and she was really appreciative.

Good for you. :applause::applause::applause:

You're a gentleman and a scholar. Solid move.

Thanks guys. I didn't lose or make money on it, hopefully I made a customer for life, and the mom wasn't bad looking either. It was a can't lose situation with a result that felt better than making a few bucks.

I swear I heard Richie telling everybody about the kid who came to his booth looking to flip his newly aquired 181, for some pogs and Chucky Cheese prize tickets.

:P

Seriously though, it was not only a nice gesture on your part as you no doubt made that kids week, it's the kind of thing that is refreshing to hear about even if you are not a comic fan.

Nice report.

I had a boy about 11 years old buy a low grade Hulk #181. He was already short on cash, and I could tell he really wanted it. It would have been an easy sale at full price on ebay or at any show. I made eye contact with his mom and I could see it in her eyes that she really wanted to buy it for him, but wanted to be a good mother and not spoil the kid. I decided to cut the price in half, and I think it made the day for all three of us. He was really excited, and she was really appreciative.

(thumbs u :applause:

The coolest thing I noticed was the number of sales of older books to kids between 11 and 17. Several VFish SA books were sold to teen agers shopping on their own, and several sales of multiple books were sold to father and sons.

\.

the red head brothers... the younger of the 2 bought 6 silver age DC 12c from me (and like mike, I felt "happy" to discount to him)... he even knew that action 340 was parasites first appearance!

Well, I'm a little embarrassed now. I didn't intend to make a "hey, look at me" post.

I really did come away from the whole con feeling pretty good about the hobby, and seeing younger people appreciating vintage books and wanting to collect them is great. The hobby could surely die off with in a couple of generations if we don't try to cultivate these younger collectors.

The movies, cartoons, and games certainly get the kids' interests. An interest that may compel them to wonder about the history of these characters. That is obviously going to lead them to the comic books. It would be good to see them buy older books that may actually retain some value instead of the latest hot variant cover. That way they're not set up to be disapointed with the hobby when a few weeks later they're collection has no value.

Most people wouldn't get in to comics if they didn't love and appreciate the characters, stories, and art, but I think one of the key components to making long time collectors, that will evolve in to more and more serious collectors, is retention of value.

The coolest thing I noticed was the number of sales of older books to kids between 11 and 17. Several VFish SA books were sold to teen agers shopping on their own, and several sales of multiple books were sold to father and sons.

\.

the red head brothers... the younger of the 2 bought 6 silver age DC 12c from me (and like mike, I felt "happy" to discount to him)... he even knew that action 340 was parasites first appearance!

Richard had mentioned that a younger collector purchased some nice ECs.

That kid will never forget you, I can guarantee that. When I was 11/12, my LCS got in a Life With Archie #2. They wanted a lot of it (well, at the time I thought it was a lot for a comic!), but they cut the price in half since they could tell I wanted it. I've been a loyal customer of theirs ever since. That kid will probably find you again at a future con, and he more than likely will remember the awesome deal you gave him. :headbang: You rock!

Well, I'm a little embarrassed now. I didn't intend to make a "hey, look at me" post.

I really did come away from the whole con feeling pretty good about the hobby, and seeing younger people appreciating vintage books and wanting to collect them is great. The hobby could surely die off with in a couple of generations if we don't try to cultivate these younger collectors.

The movies, cartoons, and games certainly get the kids' interests. An interest that may compel them to wonder about the history of these characters. That is obviously going to lead them to the comic books. It would be good to see them buy older books that may actually retain some value instead of the latest hot variant cover. That way they're not set up to be disapointed with the hobby when a few weeks later they're collection has no value.

Most people wouldn't get in to comics if they didn't love and appreciate the characters, stories, and art, but I think one of the key components to making long time collectors, that will evolve in to more and more serious collectors, is retention of value.

I don't think anyone thought you were posting a "I'm wonderful" type of post. It is obvious that you love the hobby and you were happy to see young kids getting into the hobby. Cutting them a good deal on a grail is wonderful and they won't forget.

Great report Mike, on all accounts. Hearing that younger guys are buying books is basically the best kind of news that can come from any sales report.

I bought one book for my collection during the entire show. TOS #82, from the MCMiles collection.

Those two were very intelligent when it came to comics. They certainly knew their stuff.

You've single handedly caused a downward blip in OSPG. You should be ashamed!

:baiting:

Sincerely, this is terrific news that kids are buying, and buying smart.

Thanks for the well rounded report from a dealer's POV.

:golfclap:

The biggest surprise to me were the sales of titles like Punisher, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Iron Man and other Copper Age that weren't just key issues or Spider-Man and X-men. In fact the Punisher outsold Spidey, Wolverine, and the X-men at this show. A fluke I'm sure, but still interesting.

That is interesting Mike. Certainly, back in the 90s when I had comic shops, Punisher always sold well. Hadn't considered it as still being appealing to collectors, other than ASM 129 of course.

When you say the copper issues, and Punisher, sold well do you mean from your dollar and cheaper inventory? Or did they actually sell for some relationship to guide?

(worship) Too cool!

Glad to hear about all of the younger collectors. Same thing was happening at ECCC, nice to hear it wasn't just the west coast. A good sign our hobby will march on, especially with guys like you helping younger collectors out. Wow.

\.

I just reread that book last week lol