• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Quarterly - Looking for an Anti-Moderns Article

92 posts in this topic

For the next issue of Comic Book Quarterly (the newsletter of the Comic Book Collecting Association), we will have four short articles pro and con moderns. So far I have two writers who will make the case for moderns and one writing against them due to price. I am looking for someone to write roughly 800 words (1 page) arguing that the content of moderns is inferior to that of older ages. If you would like to argue this point please send me a PM.

Thanks,

Mike

Paging JC.....

PAGING JC....

Your soap box has been waxed and is waiting....

Paging Joe Collector, Joe Collector to the on-deck circle . . .

:foryou:

Great minds....

The most obvious problem is the 800 word limit. :insane:

You should do it! I've been a professional manuscript editor for the past 15 years, and I share your point of view. So if you have trouble keeping it within the word count, I'd be happy to help!

lol zinger

Seriously, that's not a lot of space, especially if you typically have A LOT to say on the subject...

And the general commitment to actually do anything of substance around here.

lol zinger

Seriously, that's not a lot of space, especially if you typically have A LOT to say on the subject...

No joke, and you could probably write 800 pages on the significant problems introduced since adults took over the new comic readership and kicked the children and younger kids to the curb.

A younger, and constantly revolving/refreshing, readership wants new characters, fresh ideas and innovative storytelling, while adults just want "the characters they grew up with" i.e. "the same, but a bit different", which is why Marvel and DC have been stagnant for well over a decade, producing revamps, retcons and rehashes, and without a single major character introduction since the early-90's.

It's quite telling that their "major success" during that time was introducing Ultimate Spider-man and the launching of the "Ultimate" revamps of their existing SA/BA Universe. The same stuff, only a bit different...

That's a book in itself.

Single major character intro? Try Y: The Last Man, Jack (from Fables), Agent Graves (100 Bullets). Vertigo counts, and are some of the best written comics of the last 40 years.

In the Superhero canon--hard to say, as I don't read Moderns enough to know. But I'd say Hush (from Batman) is a fairly major character intro--at least as important as Bane was in the 90s.

And Batman: Hush was one of the top 5 Batman stories ever. Period.

For Marvel? No clue. But then, I couldn't name more than a handful of "major character intros" from Marvel in the 90s either. Gambit? Cable? Deadpool? Then what? The New Warriors? And they were all from 1990 alone. Seriously, were there any major Marvel character intros from 1991-1999?

Single major character intro?

I guess you missed this part:

"why Marvel and DC have been stagnant for well over a decade"

I'm not talking about indies and character-owned niche properties, as those resemble novels and new characters and concepts are always coming out of new fiction. I'm referring to the majors, Marvel and DC's mainstream titles and their total lack of major new characters or concepts.

And please, Hush is a MAJOR COMIC BOOK CHARACTER. Is that actually the best you can do, Hush? :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: