• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Quarterly - Looking for an Anti-Moderns Article

92 posts in this topic

Maybe JC needs a regular editorial column. You know, Andy Rooney style. hm

It has my vote. Although, we'd need to balance with a column that is all sweetness and light. hm

I'll do it.

;)

I am sure Mike (Monkeyman) can find you a spot. (thumbs u

Awesome!

Though, to be fair, I am a bit shy with the words....

:grin:

I've read all of those Batman stories listed, and I'd still put Hush in that pantheon--as I would add Year One, Year Three, "One Bullet Too Many" (Batman 217) and one of your own favorites, "Trash" (Detective 613, was it?)

Yes indeed...one of the single best Batman stories I have ever read, Detective #613 "Trash".

:cloud9:

(Just goes to show, you really can't lie on the 'net...at least not for long...people have LONGGG memories...and search functions! You never know who's paying attention. lol )

Year 2 was good, but Mike Barr had a really tough time with the plotting...he was trying WAY too hard to do what Miller had done a couple months before in Year 1, instead of doing something completely different. Not bad. But not great.

Year 3 was GOOD, but I really felt the only purpose for it was to retroactively introduce Tim Drake into the Batman mythos (which was unnecessary)...who then became the central character in Lonely Place (and rightfully so.) Year 3, with its focus on Zucco and the killing of the mob bosses, didn't advance the characters in any significant way.

Continuity wise, Tim Drake has been "around" as long as Dickie Grayson, which I felt was a bit of a cheap stunt.

Hush accomplished what both Batman 400 and Knightfall attempted and failed miserably at--artwork aside, it created a scenario where Batman had to face nearly all of his rogue's gallery at once, while showcasing the "detective" aspect of the character as he tries to uncover both the "who" and "why" of Hush and the Riddler. It was a great story for longtime fans.

Ehhhh. I'm gonna have to disagree. But that's cool, everyone takes their own experience from it. I thought Hush, which I read in close to one sitting, was contrived (like much of Jeph Loeb's wildly overrated work) and forced.

Maybe JC needs a regular editorial column. You know, Andy Rooney style. hm

It has my vote. Although, we'd need to balance with a column that is all sweetness and light. hm

I'll do it.

;)

I am sure Mike (Monkeyman) can find you a spot. (thumbs u

Awesome!

Though, to be fair, I am a bit shy with the words....

:grin:

:roflmao:

I thought Hush, which I read in close to one sitting, was contrived (like much of Jeph Loeb's wildly overrated work) and forced.

My sentiment exactly, stated with more precision than I could have done.

Ehhhh. I'm gonna have to disagree. But that's cool, everyone takes their own experience from it. I thought Hush, which I read in close to one sitting, was contrived (like much of Jeph Loeb's wildly overrated work) and forced.

I'd have to agree. I read it in one sitting too and it felt like a mess. Take out #612 and #614 and it was basically a really weak story, especially towards the end.

And the trouble with Hush for me was that we did have The Long Halloween to compare it to. And it simply didn't match up.

Marvel and D.C. may think us "adult fanboys" don't want to read new ideas/concepts, but I think they are wrong.

You might be correct, but the sheer lack of movement is quite scary.

For example, I finally got a cheap Gold copy (with embedded DLC) of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 to play through with the kids - I was amazed that ALL of the characters seemed to be from the SA/BA, and all the villains so far are also SA/BA mainstays, with a few retcons like the revived Bucky.

That's pretty sad and should illustrate how long Marvel has been coasting on Stan, Jack and Steve's work.

It is pretty sad, but I guess thats why D.C. has Vertigo and Marvel has Icon.

I'm thinking you missed my point JC because I was actually validating your argument. Sheesh. doh!

Nope, you're saying they "ran out of new ideas", while I'm stating that there are plenty of new ideas/characters/concepts to be tried, only that the "adult fanboy" audience doesn't want to read them.

Yet the same fanboys are happy to pick up new stuff/titles/characters being produced by Image, Darkhorse, IDW, Dynamite, etc. Sure, not necessarily in huge numbers, true.

Sure, not necessarily in huge numbers, true.

My point exactly. Thanks, :applause:

So your point is that although modern comics have much greater variety than ever before, closed minded super hero fanboys refuse to read anything outside the big two shared universes. And you drive this point home by... strictly reading big two shared universe stuff.

I'm thinking you missed my point JC because I was actually validating your argument. Sheesh. doh!

Nope, you're saying they "ran out of new ideas", while I'm stating that there are plenty of new ideas/characters/concepts to be tried, only that the "adult fanboy" audience doesn't want to read them.

Yet the same fanboys are happy to pick up new stuff/titles/characters being produced by Image, Darkhorse, IDW, Dynamite, etc. Sure, not necessarily in huge numbers, true.

With one big exception being trade paperbacks - if you look at the monthly numbers for those, non-mainstream titles (including DC/Vertigo) pretty much always dominate the top of the sales charts.

I think a majority of the people still think of the early 1990`s as modern such as that Image dreck, folks it has gotten better since then.

Go to htmlcomics.com and try a few new series and you might be surprised at how moderns have improved since the early 1990`s,also if you go back and read some of the so called classics like I have in the Omni`s/Archives/TPB`s, you will find a lot of the so called classics are very dated and you will be bitterly disappointed, I am surprised how we have put them so high up on the pedestal(most be the nostalgic covers of our youth), unlike classic movies/music,most classic comics are one thing that do not age well after reading them 20 to 30 years later.Try a few new moderns and you might like what you find and it doesn`t have to be marvel/dc superheroes.In other words if your an adult and haven`t read a modern in a few years maybe you should try something other then the latest issue of Batman or Spider-man to find out what the modern comics scene is about. (thumbs u

Maybe you should do an article on comics in Japan vs North America, since Japanese comics/cartoons are slowly taking over here it seems. Cost and acceptance would be two good topics to cover.

Bruce

This sounds interesting. If anyone feels they can write on this topic please send me a PM.

Mike