• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Marvel Coppers?

306 posts in this topic

I really think there are more non Marvel keys in the copper age

Hello Grendel,Albedo,Miracleman,TMNT,CROW! :headbang:

Totally agree!

1) Dark Horse Presents 1 (1st Concrete) MEGATON #3 (1st Savage Dragon)

2) Dark Horse Presents 10 (1st Masque/Mask)

3) Dark Horse Presents 24 (1st Aliens in comics)

4) Destroyer Duck 1 (1st Groo)

5) Starslayer 2 (1st Rocketeer)

6) Starslayer 3 (2nd Rocketeer)

7) Starslayer 5 (2nd Groo)

8) Caliber Presents 1 (1st Crow)

The list would go on and on when it comes to fantastic Copper Age independents.

FIFY... (thumbs u

I really think there are more non Marvel keys in the copper age

Hello Grendel,Albedo,Miracleman,TMNT,CROW! :headbang:

Totally agree!

1) Dark Horse Presents 1 (1st Concrete) MEGATON #3 (1st Savage Dragon)

2) Dark Horse Presents 10 (1st Masque/Mask)

3) Dark Horse Presents 24 (1st Aliens in comics)

4) Destroyer Duck 1 (1st Groo)

5) Starslayer 2 (1st Rocketeer)

6) Starslayer 3 (2nd Rocketeer)

7) Starslayer 5 (2nd Groo)

8) Caliber Presents 1 (1st Crow)

The list would go on and on when it comes to fantastic Copper Age independents.

FIFY... (thumbs u

FIFY... (shrug) Don't you mean FTFY Fixed That For Ya.

I like these...only in CGC 9.8 though:

1. ASM #300 (1st Venom)

2. New Mutants #98 (1st Deadpool, 1st Domino, 1st Gideon)

3. X-Men #266 (1st Gambit)

4. New Mutants #87 (1st full Cable)

5. Iron Man #282 (1st full War Machine - movie hype, I think this book was underrated before it took off due to IM2 so I'm happy to see it HOT)

6. X-Factor #6 (1st full Apocalypse - I see this book sell for much more of a premium than #5, great cover appearance)

7. ASM #238 (1st Hobgoblin)

8. Avengers #196 (1st full Taskmaster - cool character, great cover)

9. GI Joe #1 (huge following, gone very cold since movie, I think will remain a $100+ book)

10. Wolverine LS #1 (not rare but sooo popular)

hm. Avengers Annual #10 (1st Rogue - borderline BA book)

hm. Transformers #1 (just nostalgic for this one)

hm. Darkhawk #1 (1st Darkhawk - very nostalgic for this one!)

I am going to add a few more books to debate on.

Marvel Graphic Novel #1 (Death of Captain Marvel)

Marvel Graphic Novel #4 (1st New Mutants)

Marvel Graphic Novel #5 (X-men Story)

Avengers Annual #10 (1st Rogue)

New Mutants Annual #2 (1st Psylocke)

Incredible Hulk #340 (Hulk vs Wolverine)

Thor #412 (1st New Warriors)

Thor # 337 (1st Beta Ray Bill)

Amazing Spider-man #360 (1st Carnage)

X-men #4 (1st Omega Red)

Wolverine #1

Avengers #263 (1st X-Factor)

I am going to add a few more books to debate on.

Marvel Graphic Novel #1 (Death of Captain Marvel)

Marvel Graphic Novel #4 (1st New Mutants)

Marvel Graphic Novel #5 (X-men Story)

Avengers Annual #10 (1st Rogue)

New Mutants Annual #2 (1st Psylocke)

Incredible Hulk #340 (Hulk vs Wolverine)

Thor # 337 (1st Beta Ray Bill)

Amazing Spider-man #360 (1st Carnage)

X-men #4 (1st Omega Red)

Wolverine #1

Avengers #263 (1st X-Factor)

I have to agree Michael. There are some great books there. I certainly do cherish my MGN 5 CGC SS 9.6, as "God Loves, Man Kills" was an amazing story.

ASM 361 has consistant demand compared to the 360.

ASM 298 first McFarlane in the run, also 265 is first Silver Sable

Punisher Limited #1 has constant demand also.

If you just want a cool book that is nearly impossible to find in high grade go after the McFarlane Hulk 345 as its the most valuable of the Hulk McFarlane run.

Since we are talking Marvels you have to look at the GI Joe keys, like 21 first Storm Shadow.

Since we are talking Marvels you have to look at the GI Joe keys, like 21 first Storm Shadow.

OOH, yeh! Forgot that one. Was a 4-figure book just months ago. Still a high value CA book.

Just wondering which issues would be in the conversation of the top 10 Marvel copper/modern books?

any help?

Sure...but first you have to define what you mean by "Top 10."

Do you mean in importance?

Do you mean in value?

Do you mean in influence?

For all of the above, it's hard to argue against Amazing Spiderman #300. It's the clear winner of all Marvels from the last 25+ years.

The rest of the list is debatable.

Well....?

If you guys aren't reading the current Nova title (or other Realm of Kings stuff)...I could see how you might overlook Darkhawk 1. I'm dead serious when I say Darkhawk was/is a very under rated character from the copper age. He's finally getting some props in Nova teaming up with Black Bolt and Mr. Fantastic (and of course Nova!)

If you guys aren't reading the current Nova title (or other Realm of Kings stuff)...I could see how you might overlook Darkhawk 1. I'm dead serious when I say Darkhawk was/is a very under rated character from the copper age. He's finally getting some props in Nova teaming up with Black Bolt and Mr. Fantastic (and of course Nova!)

He would definately make my Top 10 UNDERRATED list. You are absolutely right about the Nova series.

But Im not sure what the Top 10 list in this thread is in reference to. Its never been clarified.

$$$ or significance to the MU?

Regardless, ASM #252, ASM #300 are on both lists.

Um...when's the Copper Age begin and end? Are we going with "begins w/ Secret Wars 1, ends with Youngblood 1"? Because if not, I see a notable lack of Daredevil 168. Is the first Miller run considered Bronze?

And yeah--I vote for Spiderman # 1 to be on there. Not valuable, but important on so many levels (shattered sales records; classic cover; started (or perfected what LOTDK 1 started) the multiple cover insanity; in giving McFarlane carte blanche on drawing and writing, was a harbinger of the creator-owned Image, etc.). Far more important than 1st Darkhawk, first Taskmaster, Wolverine 10 or Cap Annual 8.

Boo-Ya! Was just about to post this one. I mean, Wouldn't New Warriors rank higher than Darkhawk? New Warriors was one of the higher selling comics during that period. Plus Darkhawk eventually joined the team.

Boo-Ya! Was just about to post this one. I mean, Wouldn't New Warriors rank higher than Darkhawk? New Warriors was one of the higher selling comics during that period. Plus Darkhawk eventually joined the team.

I just finished The Imperial Guard limited series and I think that Darkhawk's legacy has only just begun.

Um...when's the Copper Age begin and end? Are we going with "begins w/ Secret Wars 1, ends with Youngblood 1"? Because if not, I see a notable lack of Daredevil 168. Is the first Miller run considered Bronze?

And yeah--I vote for Spiderman # 1 to be on there. Not valuable, but important on so many levels (shattered sales records; classic cover; started (or perfected what LOTDK 1 started) the multiple cover insanity; in giving McFarlane carte blanche on drawing and writing, was a harbinger of the creator-owned Image, etc.). Far more important than 1st Darkhawk, first Taskmaster, Wolverine 10 or Cap Annual 8.

wasn't miller's first daredevil work in peter parker? Does it count? (shrug)

Yeah--his Peter Parker books are definitively Bronze, but I think 168 (first Elektra) counts as a Marvel key, in whichever era it belongs. Important character, epic storyline, subject of two movies, etc.

Arguably X-Men 137/Daredevil 181 count as keys as well, since those two (surprise) major character deaths started the whole "grim and gritty" Copper Age trend that led to the popularity of the Punisher and to myriad deaths/rebirths of characters.

Yeah--his Peter Parker books are definitively Bronze, but I think 168 (first Elektra) counts as a Marvel key, in whichever era it belongs. Important character, epic storyline, subject of two movies, etc.

Even though Miller joined the title in DD 158, he takes over creative control of the title in DD 168.

So you get a double-bang for your buck in having DD 168 with the intro of Elektra ( :cloud9: ) and then Miller being the stand-alone writer.