• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age for under $100

190 posts in this topic

Thought it would be fun to see the books others manage to find for under $100.

I bought this recently for $40...

ht23.jpg

...Well, it wasn't slabbed when I bought it in 1976, which in the grand scheme of things is relatively recent.

The fact you could hold on to a book that like for all those years is impressive [mind you its a beauty]. The temptation to cash it in must have been there overs the years.

Bought raw at the LCS for $65.

Had it graded and it came back a cgc9.2. Sold to purchase more Wonder Woman books.

DarkMysteries19cgc9.jpg

I still can't believe how nuts that is. You would think an LCS would have a copy of the OSPG laying around somewhere. Like paying $65 for a stack of fifteen c-notes.

Bought raw at the LCS for $65.

Had it graded and it came back a cgc9.2. Sold to purchase more Wonder Woman books.

DarkMysteries19cgc9.jpg

I still can't believe how nuts that is. You would think an LCS would have a copy of the OSPG laying around somewhere. Like paying $65 for a stack of fifteen c-notes.

:applause:

Batman2.jpg

And no, I'm not kidding :devil:

And you sold it to Metro instead of offering it to the bat lovers of the boards?????? :pullhair:

Um... ??? It's upstairs in my GA box (minus the slab--I cracked it as soon as it arrived). This one isn't getting sold.

ok, the metro scan puzzled me. They typically are not in the habit of selling books like this for under $100

Typically not, but I guess in this instance I got lucky. Here goes:

I was sick with a heckuva stomach bug leaving me laid up on the coach all day and night. I woke up late one evening, and being unable to fall back asleep, I decided to float around online. I sometimes will toy around to see what certain books will go for price-wise and having just started into collecting GA, I thought I'd go digging to learn about the market on Detective Comics and Batman--particularly the early ones.

Anyhow, as I was perusing through Metro's inventory, I noticed a VERY presentable copy of Batman 2 slabbed in 1.5 Universal...and it was priced at $100. This didn't seem right so I looked around to see if there were some sort of Canadian variant or some other editions floating out there that this could be confused with--nope, this was legit.

Needless to say, I promptly BIN'd that puppy. The next day, I received an email confirmation of my order and then shortly after, another email stating the book shipped. After a week from the time I BIN'd it, the book arrived-- :banana:

cool...well done and kudos to metro for honoring the price, which I can only assume was an error (a $900 error I suspect) (thumbs u

Look what you did to GPA on this book. lol

gpa.jpg

Finally got this one... been on my wantlist for years, just never found a decent looking one... The Origin of Rip Kirby, by Alex Raymond (and when I say "by", I mean cover to cover, no ads... even the back cover is part of the story :grin: ) ...and, as you can see by its appearance in this thread, it was CHEAP!!!!

Feature Book 51

FeatureBook51RipKirby.jpg