• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action comics 1-24 bound volume

76 posts in this topic

nobody wants a frankenbook, but a nice book with minimal or moderate work done I feel more collectors are starting to warm up to.

I prefer frankenbooks...if you're gonna restore, I appreciate the skill required to make the book look as pristine as possible. I have trouble reconciling people who normally collect high grade yet would rather have a lower-grade unrestored or slightly-restored book over a book that's of an apparent high grade with more restoration.

the reason I collect, is because I like owning these historical early books, Actions, Tecs, Supes, Bats, etc. there is only one beginning and alot of stuff that came after is also very cool, but I love the history behind comics. so I like to feel that I have a completely original or "as close to" an original copy of a particular book. so for me, minimal work is what I would prefer no matter what the technical grade. a Frankenbook would be my very last option, and I would only be interested on one of the Uber keys.

Later kicked myself for letting other people talk me out of it. (same year I got talked into some stuff I was told were much better "investments"; but they're still not worth more than I paid) Moral: make more decisions based on what you like and less decisions based on what others tell you that you're supposed to like or not like.

ya know, I feel this happens alot in our hobby, I know I'm guilty of it. when I first came to these boards there was a STRONG anti-restoration feeling going on. to where people would make you feel like a degenerate if you owned a restored (even slightly) book. so I passed on so many good restored books. I wish I had listened to my own judgement at the time.

I do feel that the resto stigma is loosing up a bit, due to a few, (Roy, Gator to name a few) collectors showing us beautiful restored books that are more attainable to the average collector than their unrestored counterparts.

nobody wants a frankenbook, but a nice book with minimal or moderate work done I feel more collectors are starting to warm up to.

should be interesting to see how things changes over time.

I've been given a good swift kick in the azz via PM for being remiss in my mentioning of another board member who is also helping to destigmatize restored books through education and in depth discussions of the process.

Zeman (our very own Kenny).

:foryou:

the reason I collect, is because I like owning these historical early books, Actions, Tecs, Supes, Bats, etc. there is only one beginning and alot of stuff that came after is also very cool, but I love the history behind comics. so I like to feel that I have a completely original or "as close to" an original copy of a particular book. so for me, minimal work is what I would prefer no matter what the technical grade. a Frankenbook would be my very last option, and I would only be interested on one of the Uber keys.

Frankenbooks do that for me, bring me closer to the original book...I didn't buy books off the stands when I was a kid in VG, nor did the original owners of vintage books. You can barely even see well-done restoration even if you're skilled at detection, and the vast majority of collectors can't see it even if they try. Even more than all that, I just respect the art of restoration...it takes SO much care and skill, and the results can be so dramatic, that it seems magical when extensive resto takes a total beater and makes it look new again. :applause: The majority of restoration haters today have zero appreciation for the art and skill involved in restoration. :(

I've been given a good swift kick in the azz via PM for being remiss in my mentioning of another board member who is also helping to destigmatize restored books through education and in depth discussions of the process.

Zeman (our very own Kenny).

:foryou:

lol

That doesn't sound like Kenny, to go arse kicking via PM. Drunken rant PMs maybe. Arse kicking ones, no.

Frankenbooks do that for me, bring me closer to the original book...I didn't buy books off the stands when I was a kid in VG, nor did the original owners of vintage books. You can barely even see well-done restoration even if you're skilled at detection, and the vast majority of collectors can't see it even if they try. Even more than all that, I just respect the art of restoration...it takes SO much care and skill, and the results can be so dramatic, that it seems magical when extensive resto takes a total beater and makes it look new again. :applause: The majority of restoration haters today have zero appreciation for the art and skill involved in restoration. :(

the good resto people and the work they do is top notch, just to me, the more a book becomes "unoriginal" meaning, 50% from 1940 and the other 50% from 2010 in the form of pieces added, ct, etc. then at some point I may as well just buy reprints.

the more a book becomes "unoriginal" meaning, 50% from 1940 and the other 50% from 2010 in the form of pieces added, ct, etc.

That's an awfully extreme exaggeration. For 50% of a book to be added material, it'd have to be farther beyond 0.5 Poor than I usually ever see...you'd rather own the Poor, incomplete version of that same book? meh It's the same book with the same original materials that were originally there after pro restoration is done...it just has stuff added where it was already missing making it LOOK better.

Note that I'm not saying I'd choose restored over unrestored...but that I'd choose a frankenbook high grade book over a low-grade book, with the exception of high-cost books where the market is so volatile for restored books that it's too risky an investment.

the more a book becomes "unoriginal" meaning, 50% from 1940 and the other 50% from 2010 in the form of pieces added, ct, etc.

That's an awfully extreme exaggeration. For 50% of a book to be added material, it'd have to be farther beyond 0.5 Poor than I usually ever see...you'd rather own the Poor, incomplete version of that same book? meh It's the same book with the same original materials that were originally there after pro restoration is done...it just LOOKS better.

Note that I'm not saying I'd choose restored over unrestored...but that I'd choose a frankenbook high grade book over a low-grade book, with the exception of high-cost books where the market is so volatile for restored books that it's too risky an investment.

I was only referring to the cover in my 50/50 argument due to that is mostly where resto is performed. interiors are sometimes lightened, washed, etc. but the concentration of the work is usually on the covers since that is what we all worship. so yes, I have seen large pieces added, logos replaced, back cover ads replaced, cleaning, etc. done to the cover of a book, so at some point to me it has become so unoriginal that I'd rather not own it (uber keys excluded). and of course everything becomes about a price point. I have warmed over to slight and some forms of moderate resto. but do not care for the extensive frankenbooks, I'm not a slave to high grade, I don't need a pristine, perfect, pretty copy of a book just to "look at", if that were the case, I would just print out scan after scan of the MH books and place them in a mylar. lol

so, if you would prefer to buy the frankenbooks for their looks, at prices way more than I could buy pristine reprints of. go right ahead. there is a market for everyone. :devil:

the good resto people and the work they do is top notch, just to me, the more a book becomes "unoriginal" meaning, 50% from 1940 and the other 50% from 2010 in the form of pieces added, ct, etc. then at some point I may as well just buy reprints.

Alton, I'd venture to say that on a Slight Professional book 99%+ of the source material is original. On a Moderate Professional book it's somewhere in the 95-99% range and on an Extensive book it's likely in the 90-95% percent range from most the books I've seen.

Sure you will have rare or expensive books that have had a lot more paper added, but these are the exception and not the rule.

Now, knowing that, don't you find it strange that a book with 99% original source material costs a fraction of what an unrestored book costs?

Alton, I'd venture to say that on a Slight Professional book 99%+ of the source material is original. On a Moderate Professional book it's somewhere in the 95-99% range and on an Extensive book it's likely in the 90-95% percent range from most the books I've seen.

Sure you will have rare or expensive books that have had a lot more paper added, but these are the exception and not the rule.

are you talking about the entire book, or just the cover, I've seen books with more resto on the cover than what was originally there. again, only on Extensive books.

Now, knowing that, don't you find it strange that a book with 99% original source material costs a fraction of what an unrestored book costs?

yes, I find it strange, that's what I was trying to get to in my Original post, was that I feel other collectors can "talk you out of" a certain purchase just like Bluechip was referring to.

are you talking about the entire book, or just the cover, I've seen books with more resto on the cover than what was originally there. again, only on Extensive books.

If you're talking just the cover, then yes, 50% of the cover can be restored on an Extensive resto job.

That's still a small percentage of the entire book through.

I don't need a pristine, perfect, pretty copy of a book just to "look at", if that were the case, I would just print out scan after scan of the MH books and place them in a mylar. lol

I knew I was understating the general view of restoration by describing collectors as having "zero appreciation for the art and skill involved"...it's more than lacking appreciation, it's active disrespect, belittling, and contempt for the art. Quite hard to fathom. :(

My only restored book. I'm quite fond of it...

action47.jpg

very nice. here's my only one (so far that is) and I too am quite fond of it. love the fact that there has been NO cleaning.

Scan10003.jpg

If you're talking just the cover, then yes, 50% of the cover can be restored on an Extensive resto job.

That's still a small percentage of the entire book through.

totally agree. (thumbs u

I don't need a pristine, perfect, pretty copy of a book just to "look at", if that were the case, I would just print out scan after scan of the MH books and place them in a mylar. lol

I knew I was understating the general view of restoration by describing collectors as having "zero appreciation for the art and skill involved"...it's more than lacking appreciation, it's active disrespect, belittling, and contempt for the art. Quite hard to fathom. :(

buck up little camper. I have tons of "appreciation for the art and skill involved" heck, some of my best friends are resto pros.

very nice. here's my only one (so far that is) and I too am quite fond of it. love the fact that there has been NO cleaning.

Scan10003.jpg

So if you could do it cost-free, you'd prefer to have the color touch, pieces added, and re-glossing removed, along with any tear seals and reinforcement which didn't conservationally compromise this Action #10?

Scan10003.jpg

So if you could do it cost-free, you'd prefer to have the color touch, pieces added, and re-glossing removed, along with any tear seals and reinforcement which didn't conservationally compromise this Action #10?

there is no "re-glossing" on this particular book. and no, I'm fine with the way it is. I'm just in the camp of less work, rather than more work done. I mean a good cleaning would make this book look stellar, take out the dust shadow. but that would mean more work done. so I'm fine with just the way it is.