• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action comics 1-24 bound volume

76 posts in this topic

Considering that a restored copy of 1 has already passed 100K I would consider that a bargain purchase to get 1-24 for that price.

I saw this back in the 90s and nearly bought it but heard so many people talk it down they convinced me it wasn't worth more a good copy of 1 by itself. So when it came up for auction I placed a proxy bid about that and got blown away by about 2x. Later kicked myself for letting other people talk me out of it. (same year I got talked into some stuff I was told were much better "investments"; but they're still not worth more than I paid) Moral: make more decisions based on what you like and less decisions based on what others tell you that you're supposed to like or not like.

At least you still have the Bob Kane file copies

At the time I got those I was advised they'd be much more valuable if I restored them as individual issues, using coverless copies and the covers from the Kane volume. I got the coverless copies, and did the math to find they were probably correct. But it still seemed to me like they should be worth more as they were, even if that wasn't the conventional wisdom at the time.

If the Action 1-24 were owned by Siegel or Shuster I'd say keep them in the volume. But as they are I could be convinced either way to leave them in or take them out as separate books. Clearly they're not worth as much as if they'd never been trimmed, but my gut tells me these are all rare books and it's a cool set so I think lots of people would think they're worth a lot more than an untrimmed 1 by itself.

Thank god you did not listen to them! I feel they are far more valuable as they are.

Cannot believe you own the Bob Kane file copies....... :cloud9:

Later kicked myself for letting other people talk me out of it. (same year I got talked into some stuff I was told were much better "investments"; but they're still not worth more than I paid) Moral: make more decisions based on what you like and less decisions based on what others tell you that you're supposed to like or not like.

ya know, I feel this happens alot in our hobby, I know I'm guilty of it. when I first came to these boards there was a STRONG anti-restoration feeling going on. to where people would make you feel like a degenerate if you owned a restored (even slightly) book. so I passed on so many good restored books. I wish I had listened to my own judgement at the time.

I do feel that the resto stigma is loosing up a bit, due to a few, (Roy, Gator to name a few) collectors showing us beautiful restored books that are more attainable to the average collector than their unrestored counterparts.

nobody wants a frankenbook, but a nice book with minimal or moderate work done I feel more collectors are starting to warm up to.

should be interesting to see how things changes over time.

nobody wants a frankenbook, but a nice book with minimal or moderate work done I feel more collectors are starting to warm up to.

I prefer frankenbooks...if you're gonna restore, I appreciate the skill required to make the book look as pristine as possible. I have trouble reconciling people who normally collect high grade yet would rather have a lower-grade unrestored or slightly-restored book over a book that's of an apparent high grade with more restoration.

this is the volume that was put together by a comic collector in the late 60s & early 70s in NYC. Every once in a while he would advertise them for sale and he had a really hard time unloading them until I think after his disgust with every conversation leading to "oh man.. why did you do that"

in the early 70s when he did it, it wasn't always looked down upon..!!

anyway.. he finally sold them to Fishler

now the guy would be getting more money & more interest.. but they'd still be asking him that question.......

(thumbs u

Later kicked myself for letting other people talk me out of it. (same year I got talked into some stuff I was told were much better "investments"; but they're still not worth more than I paid) Moral: make more decisions based on what you like and less decisions based on what others tell you that you're supposed to like or not like.

ya know, I feel this happens alot in our hobby, I know I'm guilty of it. when I first came to these boards there was a STRONG anti-restoration feeling going on. to where people would make you feel like a degenerate if you owned a restored (even slightly) book. so I passed on so many good restored books. I wish I had listened to my own judgement at the time.

I do feel that the resto stigma is loosing up a bit, due to a few, (Roy, Gator to name a few) collectors showing us beautiful restored books that are more attainable to the average collector than their unrestored counterparts.

(thumbs u

When I was collecting Tin Tin back in the early mid 90's it seemed to me that the bound volumes of the magazines were more valuable than the individual issues. That said those bound volumes were bound intentionally by the publisher to sell in that format.

For the North American collector it is all about the individuall issues. So here's a question - would it be better to own the bound volume for 100K or 100K worth of individual issues. Sure you would not have the #1, but for 100K you could have a nice 2, 3, 7, 10, 13 - heck maybe all of them but the #1. Maybe it would be better both for short term liquidity and long term investment just to buy the individual issues.

Finally, what do you think the possibilty of unbinding the issues and selling a nice restored group?

a nice 2, 3, 7, 10 and 13 is closer to 150K (Thumbs u

When I was collecting Tin Tin back in the early mid 90's it seemed to me that the bound volumes of the magazines were more valuable than the individual issues. That said those bound volumes were bound intentionally by the publisher to sell in that format.

For the North American collector it is all about the individuall issues. So here's a question - would it be better to own the bound volume for 100K or 100K worth of individual issues. Sure you would not have the #1, but for 100K you could have a nice 2, 3, 7, 10, 13 - heck maybe all of them but the #1. Maybe it would be better both for short term liquidity and long term investment just to buy the individual issues.

Finally, what do you think the possibilty of unbinding the issues and selling a nice restored group?

Yeah, I didn't really do the math. I just figured the #1 alone would cause the set to break the $100K mark, but throw in the other tough issues and you have the makings of a $150K auction.

I have seen so many people pass over a restored book that the book would sell for less than what it was worth before it was restored. It's illogical to me. If a book was a 2.0 or a 3.0 before resto, then it should be worth at least that after it's restored acc. to my logic tree.

It'll be interesting to watch what happens to restored books as these big keys break the $1MIL barrier.

In this group 2,3,7,10,13 approximately what range in grade of resto Gator?

I have seen so many people pass over a restored book that the book would sell for less than what it was worth before it was restored. It's illogical to me. If a book was a 2.0 or a 3.0 before resto, then it should be worth at least that after it's restored acc. to my logic tree.

It'll be interesting to watch what happens to restored books as these big keys break the $1MIL barrier.

I agree here...I've passed up a few times on grails because of the resto doh! Collectors will be settling for nice resto copies, and so am I.

I was thinking 5.0 blue would run 150K easy (thumbs u

I agree easily 150K for 5.0 blue label. Anyone has this group in blue label...I'm buying.

I agree easily 150K for 5.0 blue label. Anyone has this group in blue label...I'm buying.

me too!

Gator are these books trimmed (as most bound volumes are)?

I'd think that restoration on these books (if unbound and restored) would put them all into an Extensive purple holder.

I think bound copies are really nice for what they are. The only problem being they sometimes have tanning edges due to exposure they wouldn't otherwise get as individual copies.

Compared to unbinding and then looking at a torn to mess spine plus the trimming on all three sides, I say keep it boung. Theres a certain amount of WOW factor that even a non collecto(let alone a collector) could appreciate with a bound copy that beat up individual copies won't ever have.

I like that logic tree (thumbs u

Gator are these books trimmed (as most bound volumes are)?

I'd think that restoration on these books (if unbound and restored) would put them all into an Extensive purple holder.

they are trimmed according to the description (thumbs u

It's logical because a restored book is an unknown quantity to a buyer because we don't exactly know what grade that book was prior to restoration. If CGC noted an estimated pre-restoration grade on the label, then we'd have a way to assign a baseline market value to a restored book. Lacking that, they just seem like a big, unknown risk that few are willing to take. :blush:

Considering that a restored copy of 1 has already passed 100K I would consider that a bargain purchase to get 1-24 for that price.

I saw this back in the 90s and nearly bought it but heard so many people talk it down they convinced me it wasn't worth more a good copy of 1 by itself. So when it came up for auction I placed a proxy bid about that and got blown away by about 2x. Later kicked myself for letting other people talk me out of it. (same year I got talked into some stuff I was told were much better "investments"; but they're still not worth more than I paid) Moral: make more decisions based on what you like and less decisions based on what others tell you that you're supposed to like or not like.

And even if you lose money with that approach, as I've done many times, you still have something you like

:)

you just need to like better stuff then my friend lol:P:baiting: