• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action comics 1-24 bound volume

76 posts in this topic

What's more common, Action #1 or New Mutants #98?

I don't know but it's safe to guess that you can tally up the total existing copies of Action 1 in all grades, then adds five zeroes and you'll have the total number of New Mutants 98s in 9.8 condition or better.

will be offered in the next heritage auction hm

This is exciting.

(thumbs u

I wonder what the over/under is on the number of copies that will come to the market in the next 12 months.

lol

will be offered in the next heritage auction hm

This is exciting.

(thumbs u

I wonder what the over/under is on the number of copies that will come to the market in the next 12 months.

lol

I don't think there's really enough copies of the big 2 books to overwhelm demand unless other factors weigh in (economy, world war, zombie apocalypse, etc)

The Overstreet guide is a big factor. It's kept prices down on the big two books for years by listing values below market. If that continues it will have some effect because there will always be some percentage of people who believe it's accurate.

Heritage also sold the same Superman 1-12 bound volume three separate times--once last month, once a year ago, and once two years ago. Two years ago it went for $35K, then $31K, then $31K again. The Superman #1 looks very attractive in the Heritage scans, somewhere from 6.0 to 8.0 if not for the binding and trimming.

this is the volume that was put together by a comic collector in the late 60s & early 70s in NYC. Every once in a while he would advertise them for sale and he had a really hard time unloading them until I think after his disgust with every conversation leading to "oh man.. why did you do that"

in the early 70s when he did it, it wasn't always looked down upon..!!

anyway.. he finally sold them to Fishler

now the guy would be getting more money & more interest.. but they'd still be asking him that question.......

I don't think there's really enough copies of the big 2 books to overwhelm demand unless other factors weigh in (economy, world war, zombie apocalypse, etc)

The Overstreet guide is a big factor. It's kept prices down on the big two books for years by listing values below market. If that continues it will have some effect because there will always be some percentage of people who believe it's accurate.

Agreed.

I think this volume has the ability to break $100K.

This will be interesting to watch.

Agreed.

I think this volume has the ability to break $100K.

This will be interesting to watch.

Agreed fun to watch! Im thinking 100 grand is a low estimate (shrug)

When I was collecting Tin Tin back in the early mid 90's it seemed to me that the bound volumes of the magazines were more valuable than the individual issues. That said those bound volumes were bound intentionally by the publisher to sell in that format.

For the North American collector it is all about the individuall issues. So here's a question - would it be better to own the bound volume for 100K or 100K worth of individual issues. Sure you would not have the #1, but for 100K you could have a nice 2, 3, 7, 10, 13 - heck maybe all of them but the #1. Maybe it would be better both for short term liquidity and long term investment just to buy the individual issues.

Finally, what do you think the possibilty of unbinding the issues and selling a nice restored group?

Considering that a restored copy of 1 has already passed 100K I would consider that a bargain purchase to get 1-24 for that price.

I saw this back in the 90s and nearly bought it but heard so many people talk it down they convinced me it wasn't worth more a good copy of 1 by itself. So when it came up for auction I placed a proxy bid about that and got blown away by about 2x. Later kicked myself for letting other people talk me out of it. (same year I got talked into some stuff I was told were much better "investments"; but they're still not worth more than I paid) Moral: make more decisions based on what you like and less decisions based on what others tell you that you're supposed to like or not like.

Considering that a restored copy of 1 has already passed 100K I would consider that a bargain purchase to get 1-24 for that price.

I saw this back in the 90s and nearly bought it but heard so many people talk it down they convinced me it wasn't worth more a good copy of 1 by itself. So when it came up for auction I placed a proxy bid about that and got blown away by about 2x. Later kicked myself for letting other people talk me out of it. (same year I got talked into some stuff I was told were much better "investments"; but they're still not worth more than I paid) Moral: make more decisions based on what you like and less decisions based on what others tell you that you're supposed to like or not like.

And even if you lose money with that approach, as I've done many times, you still have something you like

:)

At least you still have the Bob Kane file copies

At least you still have the Bob Kane file copies

At the time I got those I was advised they'd be much more valuable if I restored them as individual issues, using coverless copies and the covers from the Kane volume. I got the coverless copies, and did the math to find they were probably correct. But it still seemed to me like they should be worth more as they were, even if that wasn't the conventional wisdom at the time.

If the Action 1-24 were owned by Siegel or Shuster I'd say keep them in the volume. But as they are I could be convinced either way to leave them in or take them out as separate books. Clearly they're not worth as much as if they'd never been trimmed, but my gut tells me these are all rare books and it's a cool set so I think lots of people would think they're worth a lot more than an untrimmed 1 by itself.