• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can I do to help improve the boards?

221 posts in this topic

I also know that I am guilty of saying nothing when I've seen newbs pushed around, which is not cool. I should do something about that.

Changing this one behavior would change the entire tone of the boards.

Come on people. I can't take on all the bullies by myself. Well, I've shown that I'm willing and able, but I shouldn't have to.

:sumo:

no love for the ancient form of haiku?

no love...no love at all....i was really bad at poetry in school...i'm not verbally creative like majority of people on here

Sean's no good at it either, but you don't see him quitting.

Come onnnnnnnnnnnn.

Dooooooooo ittttttttt.

its 5,7,5 right?

(nods)

but there's more to the form than just that.

enlighten me

oh, i'm no expert, but there's a simplicity to the theme. at most, two thoughts given, the second thought carrying over from lines two to three. often contrasting two things found in nature, or one from nature compared to a principle.

i'll go wikki some stuff.

Maybe if we knew what each other did for a living, we'd talk more. Too bad there's no "what's your day job" type threads on here... :insane:

-Rob-

funny, i thought that was just a BSD contest.

I also know that I am guilty of saying nothing when I've seen newbs pushed around, which is not cool. I should do something about that.

Come on people. I can't take on all the bullies by myself. Well, I've shown that I'm willing and able, but I shouldn't have to.

No, see, Roy. You ARE bullied. There's a subtle difference.

It sounds like this board is like most others on the internet. You start with a small, closely bonded group with a lot of commonalities. You get more popular and more people join and the bonds are watered down and eventually lost. The end run is all the oldies get fed up and leave to form a new smaller cozier community. This almost inevitably fails. The original boards keeps moving forward.

My biggest issue with the board are the cliques. I've got no idea who is buddies with whom and who hates each other and it amazes me how often the 'outsiders' are summarily ignored when they try to contribute.

It goes in circles. About once every year or two we get a thread started about how bad the boards have become...then things plateau for a while only to follow history.

It's the way of life.

General apologist and grand Vizier of relativistic dogma < Bully taker-oner

It sounds like this board is like most others on the internet. You start with a small, closely bonded group with a lot of commonalities. You get more popular and more people join and the bonds are watered down and eventually lost. The end run is all the oldies get fed up and leave to form a new smaller cozier community. This almost inevitably fails. The original boards keeps moving forward.

My biggest issue with the board are the cliques. I've got no idea who is buddies with whom and who hates each other and it amazes me how often the 'outsiders' are summarily ignored when they try to contribute.

It goes in circles. About once every year or two we get a thread started about how bad the boards have become...then things plateau for a while only to follow history.

It's the way of life.

It's the way of life.

vader-fail1.jpg

I know. I'm a wimp sometimes. Tell the red head buckeye to stop kicking sand in my face!

:cry:

It's the way of life.

:gossip:

General apologist and grand Vizier of relativistic dogma < Bully taker-oner

:roflmao:

I know. I'm a wimp sometimes. Tell the red head buckeye to stop kicking sand in my face!

Dry up and blow away, skinny.

:gossip: I think he's sweet on you.