• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM AWARDS 2004

223 posts in this topic

You just made a BIG mistake Ian! The wheels are now in motion again!! sumo.giftongue.gif

How did you get ten stars while we've all had ours removed ???

I'm the biggest of the BSDs on this board. I think Joanna has 10 too, but that's it! acclaim.gif

I like Fawlty,,, never heard of the others...

"Agony" was the greatest British comedy series of all time. 1979, 1980, 1981, and then one series in 1995. Starred Maureen Lipman. Imagine Will And Grace twenty years earlier, with Fawlty Towers style scripting.

"Up Pompeii" was Frankie Howard as poor hard-done-by slave Lurchio set in Ancient Rome - utterly priceless.

Fawlty Towers is known to everybody.

I would have listed Agony first, but I figured most of you would have never heard of it. If you ever get to see it you're in for a real treat.

"Agony" was the greatest British comedy series of all time. 1979, 1980, 1981, and then one series in 1995. Starred Maureen Lipman. Imagine Will And Grace twenty years earlier, with Fawlty Towers style scripting.

Is it on DVD?

Is it on DVD?

Agony was passable, and is mainly notable as the first British sitcom to feature non-stereotypical gay characters. I'm afraid that I'll have to disagree with Ian here - the series was likeable and reasonably well-acted but has never been considered by anyone to be that funny. It certainly is nowhere near Fawlty Towers standard in terms of -script or direction. At all. Period.

As for Up Pompeii - that was a showcase for camp icon Frankie Howerd and his music-hall catchphrases. Culturally speaking Howerd has a place in most Englishmans' hearts as a loveable buffoon. But the humour would never travel, and it's dated impossibly badly. Sorry Ian!

I'd agree with a lot of the choices, especially Black Adder, Fawlty (obviously), Fast Show etc. I'd recommend Father Ted (surreal Irish sitcom whose writers were in thrall to Seinfeld and Python) and Little Britain, which IMO is a little like the Fast Show, only stranger, more sinister, and funnier. Seriously.

And whoever mentioned "anything with Steve Coogan" is more or less correct.

And yeah, the Office was excellent. Expect a substandard U.S. remake.

Anybody like Steptoe and Son, Porridge or Yes Minister?

Has anyone seen a show called "Bo Selecta" it's halerious. I think it would only be funny to the british though, because it mainly pokes fun at British celeb's.

Bo Selecta was quite brilliant but was the sort of show you felt ashamed to watch. At times I could not believe what that Avid Merrion bloke was getting away with. Hilarious and horrible in turn, that show made [!@#%^&^] and its' ilk seem very tame by comparison.

It is available on DVD. If you've got a Multi -Region DVD player, go to Play.Com.

Agony was passable, and is mainly notable as the first British sitcom to feature non-stereotypical gay characters. I'm afraid that I'll have to disagree with Ian here - the series was likeable and reasonably well-acted but has never been considered by anyone to be that funny.

Oh NO Andy. When did you last see it ???

The most compulsive character was the Jewish Mother, played by Maria Charles. If you've ever seen Everybody Loves Raymond, think Doris Roberts with TEN times more attitude. She was my Mother and my Grandmother rolled into one. The circumcision episode stands out as one of the greatest pieces of british comedy ever committed to screen.

Andy, you are SO wrong here, and the gay characters were such a tiny part of it. I only mentioned Will And Grace because of the hotch-potch of different characters in the series, from the repressed conservative husband to the wig-wearing DJ, all topped off by the angst-ridden Mother Bea Fisher.

I treasure all twenty seven episodes.

Tragic that it's never been on DVD,

It's the TV equivalent of Justice League Of America 21 and 22 for me.

Looking for Buzzy #70. Will pay more than Ian Levine and less hassle too. Then I will tear it up and post the pics on the forum!

When you do, can I have the pieces so that I can tape them together ????

I dunno. You might think it was overgraded.

Agony was passable, and is mainly notable as the first British sitcom to feature non-stereotypical gay characters. I'm afraid that I'll have to disagree with Ian here - the series was likeable and reasonably well-acted but has never been considered by anyone to be that funny.

Oh NO Andy. When did you last see it ???

The most compulsive character was the Jewish Mother, played by Maria Charles. If you've ever seen Everybody Loves Raymond, think Doris Roberts with TEN times more attitude. She was my Mother and my Grandmother rolled into one. The circumcision episode stands out as one of the greatest pieces of british comedy ever committed to screen.

Andy, you are SO wrong here, and the gay characters were such a tiny part of it. I only mentioned Will And Grace because of the hotch-potch of different characters in the series, from the repressed conservative husband to the wig-wearing DJ, all topped off by the angst-ridden Mother Bea Fisher.

I treasure all twenty seven episodes.

Tragic that it's never been on DVD,

It's the TV equivalent of Justice League Of America 21 and 22 for me.

We'll agree to disagree here. I have a feeling it has a great deal of sentimental value to you. And yes, I look back on that show with fond memories but I never found it that funny - still, other shows that I never expected to travel (like Are You Being Served) have done. It's up to you to get copies out of that show to our American friends so that they can see for themselves.

We spell "crisco" and you spell "chrisco", and I wonder if you know what it used to be used for ???

This is an EXCELLENT start Ian, very good. You'll get to be person_without_enough_empathyy just like the rest of us in no time!