• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #29 CGC 9.6 Blue?

85 posts in this topic

I know matt nelson has been pressing for years and years...heck, even cgc (or some affiliation) offered a pressing service back during the "old label" days, didn't they (shrug)

Business wasn't booming back then like it is now...it wasn't on the radar then like it is now. The best thing about those days is there were NEVER any pressing threads around here full of righteous indignation and moral outrage...you could actually talk about it in a purely objective way and people would talk back to you in a similar vein. :cloud9:

:grin: no more "old label goodness"

I believe when people use that term around here, they're most often referring to it being a book that is most likely unpressed, although certainly several attributes of the marketplace and CGC's grading from that period of time are falling under the umbrella of the old label being desirable.

that is my understanding as well :)

Any speculation on hammer price if that 9.6 29 went to auction?

$500k

I value this book in my opinion to be worth

750K - 1 Mil.

Would it reach that in an auction? Probably not (at this immediate time). But in my opinion it should. It's a wonder.

You're quite adept at spending other people's money! meh:foryou:

The book was offered to me at $60k -- I believe that was triple guide at the time. The scan does not do justice to the book -- it looked newstand fresh and had what I consider to be white pages. I think it's safe to say the book would go for more than 100k but I'm not sure whether it would go for much more than that.

Considering what mid grade copies bring, I would venture a guess there are enough big money pre-Robin Tec freaks out there to drive the price well north of $100k, though I think the predictions of $500k+ are a bit optimistic.

I would think it would sell for somewhere between $130k-$160k.

I believe when people use that term around here, they're most often referring to it being a book that is most likely unpressed, although certainly several attributes of the marketplace and CGC's grading from that period of time are falling under the umbrella of the old label being desirable.

could be...but I know matt nelson has been pressing for years and years...heck, even cgc (or some affiliation) offered a pressing service back during the "old label" days, didn't they (shrug)

Pressing was not common before 2004. Nelson did press books back then but that wasn't even 1/10 of his business. Now it's probably 90%.

Regarding pq bumps, after Borock left, the old label pq bumps went bye byes.

could be...but I know matt nelson has been pressing for years and years...heck, even cgc (or some affiliation) offered a pressing service back during the "old label" days, didn't they (shrug)

Pressing was not common before 2004. Nelson did press books back then but that wasn't even 1/10 of his business. Now it's probably 90%.

the tell tale of course, is just look at the book and see if you can visually see the imperfections that press out so easily (thumbs u

the tell tale of course, is just look at the book and see if you can visually see the imperfections that press out so easily (thumbs u

I'm sure I read on these boards that pressing was evil :baiting:

I'm sure I read on these boards that pressing was evil :baiting:

hm

Here ya go...

Thanks for adding the pic! I am a little disappointed it does not have WHITE PAGES though (shrug)

lol

it's old label, and I'm almost certain it would get a PQ bump if re-submitted..
I don't think to be true at all... the last 5 "old label" books that I have sent in for regrading, have all hit the same grade and same pq... that is just a myth about pq bump (thumbs u

They are currently really tough on PQ again. Many of my resubs are coming back the same or lower PQ.

Here ya go...

Thanks for adding the pic! I am a little disappointed it does not have WHITE PAGES though (shrug)

lol

it's old label, and I'm almost certain it would get a PQ bump if re-submitted..
I don't think to be true at all... the last 5 "old label" books that I have sent in for regrading, have all hit the same grade and same pq... that is just a myth about pq bump (thumbs u

Not a myth from my experience when it comes to getting rid of the dreaded "cream" designation.

in fact, there have been multiple examples of old label books getting "worse" pq designations.....

I`ve been meaning to ask you to stop storing your slabbed books in your unairconditioned Florida attic.

$500k

750K - 1 Mil.

Would it reach that in an auction? Probably not (at this immediate time). But in my opinion it should. It's a wonder.

Yup, there`s a lot of guys on these boards who are "big spenders" when they know it`s a book they`ll never have any chance at. Those are then the same guys who want to buy a $15 book from you and try to nickel and dime you to death.

$500k

750K - 1 Mil.

Yup, there`s a lot of guys on these boards who are "big spenders" when they know it`s a book they`ll never have any chance at. Those are then the same guys who want to buy a $15 book from you and try to nickel and dime you to death.

(tsk)

Here is a little history on the Detective Comics #29 Allentown copy.

I first saw the Detective Comics #29 Allentown copy at the San Diego show when Joe Vereneault had it. Joe sold it later that year.

In the late 1990's I was able to get the book in a trade. I traded my Sensation Comics Mile High run (56 issues) for the All Flash Mile High run, 4 Action Comic Mile Highs, the Detective Comics #29 Allentown copy and some cash (that I later spent with Pat Kochanek, purchasing the Adventure Comics #42 & #79 Mile High copies).

I owned the Detective Comics #29 Allentown copy for about 2 years. CGC was new and the More Fun Mile High run had just been certified. I traded the Detective Comics #29 Allentown copy for the More Fun Mile High run. The dealer I traded the Detective Comics #29 Allentown copy to sold it to Eric Roberts.

West

I know only about the Allentown Cap 1 and this Tec 29 being graded, and both 9.6

I think it's a safe bet to give the Tec 27 the same grade

Both the Allentown Tec 26 and 28 were graded 9.0, but yes, the 27 is reported to be nicer.

The tec 38 is a 9.4

The Allentown chapter of the Comic Pedigree book has a list of the top 10 books from the collection and a list of some notable sales. Here is the top 10 list from CGC and 1987 records.

http://comicbookpedigrees.com/images4book/pedi_allen_sm.pdf

1 ..........Detective #27 NM

2 ..........Captain America #1 CGC 9.6

3 ..........Detective #38 CGC 9.4

4 ..........Marvel #1 VF/NM w/ tear

5 ..........Batman #1 NM w/ split

6 ..........Detective #29 CGC 9.6

7 ..........Detective #33 CGC 9.0

8 ..........Detective #31 VF

9 ..........Captain America #2 VF/NM

10 ........Detective #28 VF

11 ........Mystery Men #1 NM/M