• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very brief, photoless WW Toronto con report - Day 1

36 posts in this topic

ERIN GRAY IS IN TORONTO???? I had such a crush on her as a kid.....i might havta talk the wife into going this afternoon...

Gil Gerard had a few people talking to him, but seriously - I didn't see a single person talking to Erin. She was killing time talking on her cell. Both Gil and Erin packed up and left around 6pm last night.

ERIN GRAY IS IN TORONTO???? I had such a crush on her as a kid.....i might havta talk the wife into going this afternoon...

Gil Gerard had a few people talking to him, but seriously - I didn't see a single person talking to Erin. She was killing time talking on her cell. Both Gil and Erin packed up and left around 6pm last night.

I don't have any idea who those people are. :shrug:

Met Joe, Bill and Bradley for dinner last night. What a great bunch of guys.

Ran into the Wizard folks at the hotel and they seemed really eager for me to come down and check out the show so I may come down late this afternoon and look around.

Met Joe, Bill and Bradley for dinner last night. What a great bunch of guys.

Ran into the Wizard folks at the hotel and they seemed really eager for me to come down and check out the show so I may come down late this afternoon and look around.

Se ya down there Kev as soon as I finish working. :grin:

find any HTD 35 cent variants?

I was there on Friday, and couldn't find any Harry. Was hoping the gent I met at the last Toronto show (who we spoke about via PM) would be there, but he wasn't. He isn't a dealer, but from what he has told me, he does on the odd occasion exhibit at local comic conventions.

Great to have Wizard World in cahoot with Paradise staging the best con in Toronto in ages.

My office is a few minutes walk from the Direct Energy Centre, which is in the Canadian National Exhibition ground, spitting distance from the lake. Nice that it's by the water, but on the other hand, it's a fair distance from the downtown hotels, restaurants, pubs, etc. There's really nothing to do around the convention centre at this time of year.

The show opened today at noon, and I arrived closer to 12:30. I had purchased an advance 3-day pass, but even if I hadn't, I wouldn't have had to wait in line. There lines were nonexistent. In fact, attendance throughout the afternoon was really sparse. On the one hand, it was great for the collectors who were there, because you didn't have to fight to get at the long boxes, and the dealers had plenty of time to chat. On the other hand, I felt bad for the dealers - and especially for the "celebs" like Gil Gerard, Erin Gray, Ernie Hudson and The Iron Sheik, who spent most of the afternoon staring into space and talking on their cell phones.

I said to a few dealers that I thought it might pick up after 5pm when people got off work, but actually there were even fewer people. By 6:30 when I left, you could have shot a cannon through the place and not hit anyone.

I'm really hopeful that Saturday and Sunday are different and the crowds come out in force. I want this con to be a smash success so the US dealers come back again. As it was, the show floor was probably 30% comics - at least a dozen top-notch dealers.

Speaking of which, it was great to meet Bob Storms, Ted VanLiew, Stephen Ritter and Matt Nelson, the folks from Comiclink, Barry from Heritage, the CGC team, Harley (who's at every Toronto show), etc... and to meet a few more board people like DrWatson, Rob Allan, Sanj Mitra... and the usual Toronto con suspects like Roy, Jim (cgcworld), bruno_s4, eccomics, etc.

Everyone was down to earth, easy-going, and a pleasure to talk to. I had especially good conversations with Ted, Stephen and Matt.

I'm heading back to the show tomorrow afternoon and will take some shots. But in the meantime, if anyone else wants to add their 12 cents worth, or add some photos to this thread, feel free.

How 'bout some pics? :baiting::devil:

How 'bout some pics? :baiting::devil:

Use your imagination:

People in costumes, Roy, "B" grade celebs, racks of expensive GA books, Roy, long boxes of $1 books, Roy...

Now I really need more pics. I don't remember any of this.

:popcorn: