• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richard Joseph Giordano 1932-2010 R.I.P :-(

71 posts in this topic

In addition to his artwork, I really enjoyed reading his "Meanwhile" columns in the 1980s DCs. They were a well-written and interesting insider account of the comics business.

Ditto. I especially remember the one about his typical day, which involved getting up very early, actually inking pages on the train (I think), having a full day of meetings, and getting home kind of late.

Damn sad to hear, him and Mr. Layton where both going to be at ComiCONN on May 15th in CT. http://www.comiconn.com/guests.html still didn't change the guest list and I don't know if Mr. Layton will do this or any cons this year because I know some dummy will say or ask the wrong thing and set him off.

R.I.P. :sorry: and you will be missed.

My first impressions of Giordano were back in 1978, when my mom brought home 'Batman - In the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s'. The old Bonanza hardcover. Some of his covers and art were in that book. He was just such a talented artist.

As I was reading more and more DC hero stuff in the early 80s (which, in retrospect, was the TRUE end of the Silver Age... with Flash, Wonder Woman, Supes, Bats, etc in just great comics every month) sort of hovered the whole lineup like a puppet master. He'd jump in with a cover here, an inking job there, and of course, updates from 'The Desk of Giordano'.

He was Corporate DC at it's very best. I'll remember him in the same way I picture Julie Schwartz, Murphy Anderson, Curt Swan and Bob Kanigher. Total pros, whose talent made DC shine for decades on end.

With his passing, I think we have only Carmine Infantino and Joe Kubert left from that cadre of larger-than-life creators from a very special era in comics.

He'll really be missed.

Shep

I've been on the road and missed this thread.

What a giant in the industry.

Sorry to see you go.

RIP.