• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mothers...The real THREAT to comic collections EVERYWHERE!

79 posts in this topic

I think most of us have a story like this.

My dad had tons of great comics from the early years of Batman and Superman.

He read them in a small room in the attic of his old house.

One day my Grandmother cleaned out the room taking stacks and stacks of them out to the fire. :o

I know the exact spot where she burned them, as I have asked them both about this story many many times.

Maybe I should put a shrine over the spot where they now rest as ashes. lol

Grandmother's too? :o What is with women and there hatred of all things comics?

Ummm... (shrug)doh!

We lived in an apartment building, with an incinerator. I don't remember what horrible thing I did to deserve having my treasures trashed, but since I'm not in jail, it couldn't have been that bad.

I never forgot, so I never once tossed anything out of my daughter's, I'd make her go over everything first and approve before we cleaned out her closets.

She's very neat though, and collects nothing (except shoes;)

One day my Grandmother cleaned out the room taking stacks and stacks of them out to the fire. :o

I know the exact spot where she burned them, as I have asked them both about this story many many times.

Ummm... (shrug)doh!

We lived in an apartment building, with an incinerator. I don't remember what horrible thing I did to deserve having my treasures trashed, but since I'm not in jail, it couldn't have been that bad.

I never forgot, so I never once tossed anything out of my daughter's, I'd make her go over everything first and approve before we cleaned out her closets.

I really don't understand why some women buy shoes all the time (shrug)

I'm a woman,but I don't buy shoes all the time b/c I find it stupid :screwy:

I rather buy comic books than shoes anyday :headbang:

Not me...

But my father's comics were either tossed or sold to a picker back in the day by his mother in law while he was away in the Korean War. My dad was born in 1930 and lived on a farm in Sequim Washington. A relative worked at a local store and so he received quite a few remaindered books as a kid. I'm sure he bought some as well, but every now and then I'll show him a GA book I've picked up and he'll tell me the story before I've read it. What a time to be a kid in the Golden age of comics.

8 years old in 1938 first supes....and the rest to come..

9 in 1939

10 in 1940

11 pre war ramp up

12 in 1942 (war time covers :cloud9:

13 war time

14 war time

15 in 1945 (war's end)

16 time for girls

17-20 goofing off and working, school, failing out..

21-23 1951-1953 Korean War time

24 on up to 80 this year....so far.....a full life of enjoyment.

Great times. Wish he'd been able to keep the comics though.

Ummm... (shrug)doh!

It kills me when my wife buys stuff and somehow thinks she's saving me money because she got it on sale, or only bought 1 instead of 3. She sometimes questions the comics...but if I question her.....:lol:.....and at least I can sell my comics down the road. Her shoes, purses, coats, etc all get donated to good when she tires of them. I'm in a mood right now....I'll never be able to retire to a life of traveling to comic cons and exotic drinks in faraway lands. :juggle:

Ummm... (shrug)doh!

It kills me when my wife buys stuff and somehow thinks she's saving me money because she got it on sale, or only bought 1 instead of 3. She sometimes questions the comics...but if I question her.....:lol:.....and at least I can sell my comics down the road. Her shoes, purses, coats, etc all get donated to good when she tires of them. I'm in a mood right now....I'll never be able to retire to a life of traveling to comic cons and exotic drinks in faraway lands. :juggle:

lol...both of you, didn't get my point...

I was TRYING to get this NON GENDER specific!

Some of us FEMALES, do like comics;)

(and my daughter is not stupid, thank you;) She likes, math, too;) Just different strokes.

I am going to look at this from a different angle, think about it, if the mothers didn`t throw out those comics during the 1940`s,50`s and 60`s, those comics wouldn`t be as rare and valuable as they are today, maybe the mothers of the 1990`s should have throw out some of that dreck like thier grandmothers did. ;)

My mother has always been supportive of my hobby. She would always come home with cool stuff for me if her and my dad went on a vacation or saw something cool at an antique shop. She's still under the impression that I religiously collect Star Wars memoribilia though even though I haven't for years (I stopped around the Phantom Menace when everything seemed to be so watered down and commericialized to the max). She seems to respect it I guess. I got a comic this Christmas! lol

Ummm... (shrug)doh!

That makes you quite collectable around here. :grin:

My father had all his 50's comics and hockey cards (save the baseball ones) thrown out by his mom so he knew enough not to throw stuff of mine as a kid. He remembers the trauma of it.

Ummm... (shrug)doh!

lol...both of you, didn't get my point...

I was TRYING to get this NON GENDER specific!

Some of us FEMALES, do like comics;)

(and my daughter is not stupid, thank you;) She likes, math, too;) Just different strokes.

lol

I got you loud and clear ;)

All of my childhood toys were garage saled away by my mother(GI Joes, Star Wars, toy guns, you name it) :mad: . She HATES to be reminded of it... :insane:

At least she got something for them...my mom put my original star wars stuff in a garbage bag on the curb on trash day back in the early nineties, it was already going for good money then...never got a cent for them. She hates to be reminded of it also.

Classic story of a mom who gave away her sons comics to the poor boy down the street. Pretty sure I lost a lionel train and hot wheels set that way too. I tried to grieve her about it, but there wasn't an AF15 in there, and the spideys that were there had been read about 10000 times. Probably less than a thousand dollars tops in the condition they were in, and I myself probably used 10,000 dollars worth of baseballs cards in my bicycle spokes.

Happened to my pops.. My dad collected comics when he was young I would say in the late 40's to 50's. He told me he had stacks of comics on top of each other (by the way he measured it, his arms were stretched out so I figure it was huge stacks). He had them all at his parents house. When he was older, he moved out of his parents house and got his own. At some point after he moved when he returned to his parents house, he asked his mom about his comic collection. His mom told him that she threw them away because they were kiddie.. My dad was upset that she did it. When I asked my dad what he had, he told me he had Plastic Man, Superman, Batman, etc.. I cried on the spot and dropped my mouth. I told him the potential values of comics in general. Boy he wished he kept a better eye on em now

My Dad threw out my prized X-men collection, because I liked to draw them

and he said I was single handily bringing SATAN into his house...

He caught me drawing Nightcrawler and literally beat my arse raw.

Religious Fanatics and Comics don't go well together, WHO KNEW???

To this day I can't stand dear old Dad, I wonder why???

:P

My Dad threw out my prized X-men collection, because I liked to draw them

and he said I was single handily bringing SATAN into his house...

He caught me drawing Nightcrawler and literally beat my arse raw.

Religious Fanatics and Comics don't go well together, WHO KNEW???

To this day I can't stand dear old Dad, I wonder why???

:P

:o ARE YOU KIDDING? YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING!? :o

That's insane!