• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody ever go back???

54 posts in this topic

I went down that path 7 years ago---sold off a Cap 3 and Marvel Mystery 9 to buy high end FFs...I don't own any of those FFs in high grade anymore...I was lucky to get the Marvel 9 back :grin: I still own SA runs, but I won't sacrifice like that again...SA too easy to get back..

I still actively collect SA books, but most of my focus is pre-1964 books.

I probably would not consider trading GA for SA, unless it was a non-key GA for a key SA, but it would have to be on a case-by-case basis. I'd have to want the SA book a lot, and not be very attached to the GA book. hm

I went down that path 7 years ago---sold off a Cap 3 and Marvel Mystery 9 to buy high end FFs...I don't own any of those FFs in high grade anymore...I was lucky to get the Marvel 9 back :grin: I still own SA runs, but I won't sacrifice like that again...SA too easy to get back..

And Marvel 9 - scarce as all get out!

Nice on getting it back! (thumbs u

I collect what I like and what I find interesting. Right now, it's GA and a small amount of SA and BA. I also buy and read moderns. I wouldn't, however, give up by GA books for books from another era. Anything from 1961 to present is too easy to find compared to the older stuff.

I love all comics but can only afford a few. I would happily collect SA and GA, but not one at the exclusion of the other.

What I was wondering was does anyone ever "switch sides" and go back to collecting those other eras once they make the leap to GA?

You might get some side-switchers if you posted in one of the other forums...asking that question here is like going to a nursing home in search of people who have switched from Old Spice over to Axe. :baiting:

I went back...and forth. From around 2000-2005 I sold almost all my HG Silver and Bronze to buy gold. Nowadays, I'll buy Gold, Silver, or Bronze as the mood fits. I limit my Gold to Schomburg and LB Cole covers, and while the Cole books have softened over the last 5 years, Schomburg Timely's have not.

It seems you can hardly touch a WWII Timely for less than $600-700 for a VG copy these days. In the early Manning and Heritage auctions, you could pick up nice mid-grade copies (4.0 - 6.0) for under $500. And while I love Cole's work, there just aren't that many to collect so opportunities to add to the collection don't present themselves too often.

However, while I have no problem selling a SA or BA book as I know it can be easily replaced, it's much harder for me to let go of a nice GA book.

And Marvel 9 - scarce as all get out!

Nice on getting it back! (thumbs u

yup, took 4 years to re-aquire a copy...

Yup. I got hooked on GA a half dozen years back when I put together a Superman run, 2-150, and have been pecking away at GA books ever since....but I sold off my Silver Age stuff for the cash even before then when reprints became readily available.

A while back I stumbled into a deal here on the Boards for a nice stack of 60's Fantastic Four...and made the mistake of reading them. Now, lo and behold, I'm in the process of putting together a reader collection of SA Marvels (and the odd DC title, too)

Turns out that I need the comics themselves after all. Anyone out there have low grade but complete Brave and Bold 2, 4, & 16? My Greatest Adventure 80, 83? Early hero TOS or TTA?

Cheap Nedor/MLJ/Timely/DC/Fawcett Gold? Precode horror?

Etc, etc.

Let's face it, I'm hooked on anything 1933-1973.

That's a lot like what happened with me....VG copies of FF 14 and 20 reactivated me. At the time it was strictly GA Bat books, mostly Joker covers. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm more of a Gold guy as well but it depends on what you compare.

AF 15 vs Action 1 I'd take the Action 1.

But price for price I'm not so sure. 3.0 fugly Action 1 vs a 9.4 AF 15?

Even an the low end. How about a VG Superman 53 vs a 6.0 Avengers 4?

I just think there are more "pulse increasing" books in the GA vs SA. Yeah I like seeing a Hulk 1 but when I see an All American 61, it stops me cold. And I could keep going. I think the rarity makes it for me.

I had to buy an extra Superman 53 and a replacement Avengers 4 recently. I like both but I would probably pay more for Golden Age. I went back to complete my Spiderman 1-129 collection and stopped a few issues short of my goal. The price of ASM 1 and 2 was a little too high in any grade. I still need a lot of All American, All Star and Action comics and don't have the funds to complete Marvel/Timely runs. And there are a lot of Matt Baker covers that I still need.

bb

You can do both and. I'm new to the Golden Age, having only about 40 books in my collection. But many of these, regardless of rarity, are cheaper than early Silver Age Marvels. Likewise, I have a healthy respect for some Bronze runs. But it all points to schizophrenia.

Last month alone I was forced to choose from among a) a CGC fine Hulk (one of the first six) vs. b) 4 CGC VG Supermans from the early 1950s vs. c) one raw 5.0 Schomburg war cover Nedor.

At level you can't make a bad choice. Now, for $3,000+ I'd always choose the Golden Age book over the 9.6 or 9.8 Bronze mega-key, but I've not at the level of spending yet, so it's moot.

But yeah--CGC 6.0 Wonder Woman # 8 vs. 7.0 X-Men # 2--it's a hard call. Depends on the day.

I would venture to say that most Golden Age collectors started off collecting Silver, Bronze, etc. comics until their eyes were opened to the light of the Golden Age. What I was wondering was does anyone ever "switch sides" and go back to collecting those other eras once they make the leap to GA?

I'll pick up a Silver Age book every now and then, but I sold off most of my Silver and Bronze books to buy GA. Would you ever consider selling off your GA books to rebuild your Silver or Bronze collection?

— Rick

love my g.a., but spidey is now, and will forever be, at the core of the whole passion/hobby for me.

I would venture to say that most Golden Age collectors started off collecting Silver, Bronze, etc. comics until their eyes were opened to the light of the Golden Age. What I was wondering was does anyone ever "switch sides" and go back to collecting those other eras once they make the leap to GA?

I'll pick up a Silver Age book every now and then, but I sold off most of my Silver and Bronze books to buy GA. Would you ever consider selling off your GA books to rebuild your Silver or Bronze collection?

— Rick

love my g.a., but spidey is now, and will forever be, at the core of the whole passion/hobby for me.

That's exactly how I feel. While my main focus has been on GA for the last few years, I have an "itch" that needs to be scratched. I sold off my ASM books that I bought off the stands, including #1 - up many years ago to help pay for the kids' college tuition. Although I know that I will probably never be able to afford another #1 (after all, the first one I bought only cost 12 cents), I have always loved the Ditko issues and I think I'm going to try and put together a small run of those issues. I may sell some other SA books in order to fund the ASM collection, but I don't think there's any way I could sell my GA books for Spider-Man.

— Rick

Add me to this list as well...Spider-Man has always been my "grail" title.

I have been buying back many SA Spidey's & FF's lately, but they cannot compare with GA books...because of the rarity factor, historical factor, and the uniqueness of them...especially Centaurs..

I will complete a collection of every pre-1965 Marvel Super-hero book in the next couple of years. I just hope this time I don't get the urge to sell them. It's a difficult task.

At the same time i will also still purchase GA, and whatever i do, I will enjoy very much the act of hunting them down. :grin:

Short answer, no,

I love all comics, in all grades, but when I see label chasers going after the same Spidey books, in 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, I just get well, bored, of looking at them,

Give me a 1930's books with Granpa playing in the dirt any day, now to me that's rare, and different to look,at IMHO

B

Short answer, no,

I love all comics, in all grades, but when I see label chasers going after the same Spidey books, in 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, I just get well, bored, of looking at them,

Give me a 1930's books with Granpa playing in the dirt any day, now to me that's rare, and different to look,at IMHO

B

meh

— Rick

That's exactly how I feel. While my main focus has been on GA for the last few years, I have an "itch" that needs to be scratched. I sold off my ASM books that I bought off the stands, including #1 - up many years ago to help pay for the kids' college tuition. Although I know that I will probably never be able to afford another #1 (after all, the first one I bought only cost 12 cents), I have always loved the Ditko issues and I think I'm going to try and put together a small run of those issues. I may sell some other SA books in order to fund the ASM collection, but I don't think there's any way I could sell my GA books for Spider-Man.

— Rick

i once had all the marvel silver runs thru 12/69. most of the books are gone now, BUT i still have the spidey run thru 400, along with every s.a. appearance he made outside his own title, and the sarge thru 120, i think, whenever it became all reprints. that stuff will be the last to go if/when i ever get out of our great hobby.

funny, when I converted from SA to GA in the early 1990's, I had completed the DC and Marvel Silver age through 1967 (or maybe it 69).... however, I had no problem selling them, and selling them fast to fund GA purchases...

while SA will always hold a special place in my heart, the ease of replacing versus limited opps to pick up certain GA books, made it a no brainer for me..

naturally, if I had parkers' ability to keep everything I collect, maybe I would view differently, but I have to recycle :cry: