• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storing Comics in Warm Temperatures?

80 posts in this topic

This video is nice and all, however it only speaks about DIRECT SUNLIGHT AND MOISTURE. Both of which we all know is bad for paper products. It says nothing about various degrees of temperature and what is considered harmful. Is 100 degrees bad or is 60 degrees bad? The video says nothing in relationship to temperature as indicated in its title.

DIRECT SUNLIGHT AND MOISTURE. Both of which we all know is bad for paper products.

How do we know this? Because we've either seen it ourselves, because conservators tell us this, or both. You'd think we'd "all know" high temperature is bad for paper products as well for exactly those same reasons, yet still this thread continues purely out of egotistical argumentativeness...I'm slowly coming around to joining FFB in his disgust. :eyeroll:

outside of common sense, here is the reason heat (higher temperatures) is bad for comic books:

First, understand that paper's strength comes from the length of the fibers used to construct the paper (from pulp processing).

The shortest fibers are found in newsprint papers (also comic books) made from groundwood pulps; this pulp is made by the mechanical grinding of wood that is then made into paper without first purifying it chemically.

When matter gets hotter, its molecules get more energy and move faster. Excess heat can not only remove the natural moisture content of pulp (used to make paper), that can result in the drying out of paper, thus becoming less flexible, a term we call in comicbookdome as "brittleness", it can also "agitate" (make molecules move faster) the chemicals and inks used in comic book manufacturing, thus accelerating the natural chemical breakdown process in the book. This acceleration of the chemical breakdown in paper results in acids forming within the paper.

Research also shows that these acids continue to accumulate within paper as they attach themselves to paper through strong intermolecular bonds.

Fibers made of cellulose chains degrade when exposed to an acidic environment. This degrading of the chains results in weakening of the paper. (ie. it is bad!). and so on an so forth...

So, there you have it, in a nutshell (thumbs u

outside of common sense, here is the reason heat (higher temperatures) is bad for comic books:

First, understand that paper's strength comes from the length of the fibers used to construct the paper (from pulp processing).

The shortest fibers are found in newsprint papers (also comic books) made from groundwood pulps; this pulp is made by the mechanical grinding of wood that is then made into paper without first purifying it chemically.

When matter gets hotter, its molecules get more energy and move faster. Excess heat can not only remove the natural moisture content of pulp (used to make paper), that can result in the drying out of paper, thus becoming less flexible, a term we call in comicbookdome as "brittleness", it can also "agitate" (make molecules move faster) the chemicals and inks used in comic book manufacturing, thus accelerating the natural chemical breakdown process in the book. This acceleration of the chemical breakdown in paper results in acids forming within the paper.

Research also shows that these acids continue to accumulate within paper as they attach themselves to paper through strong intermolecular bonds.

Fibers made of cellulose chains degrade when exposed to an acidic environment. This degrading of the chains results in weakening of the paper. (ie. it is bad!). and so on an so forth...

I once recieved a modern, CGC 9.8 that had an oily film that moved around on the cover when I squeezed the slab. I am quite sure this was caused by exposure to extreme heat.

DIRECT SUNLIGHT AND MOISTURE. Both of which we all know is bad for paper products.

How do we know this? Because we've either seen it ourselves, because conservators tell us this, or both. You'd think we'd "all know" high temperature is bad for paper products as well for exactly those same reasons, yet still this thread continues purely out of egotistical argumentativeness...I'm slowly coming around to joining FFB in his disgust. :eyeroll:

Hey FF

There's no reason for anybody to be disgusted about this topic or this tread. Lots of good info is being reported by all involved. Not everybody that reads this is gonna know every last nook and cranny about collecting comics, so this is great stuff being said. Its conversations like these that will progress the hobby forward. Others will come along and read the pertinent info being posted and learn from them. Hopefully our comments will cause others to do some research and learn more about this great hobby. As far as I'm concerned this topic and discussion is good for all involved. As long as we can avoid name calling and put downs then by all means continue this discussion..............

This post is excellent, This is the kind of info I'm talking about..................

I live in NJ and with the recent increase in temperature and humidity I have a newbie question. I only have two options to store my comics. I have my closet in my bedroom(2nd fl). And a table in my basement (off the ground to avoid any water damage). I stored my collection this winter in the closet in my bedroom. But with the weather changing I was thinking of moving them to the basement (has a dehumidifier that runs 24/7) until the Fall comes then move them back upstairs.

Basically, What is better for the summer basement or closet?

Thanks

oh and you can abuse me I am use to it at home :whee:

I live in NJ and with the recent increase in temperature and humidity I have a newbie question. I only have two options to store my comics. I have my closet in my bedroom(2nd fl). And a table in my basement (off the ground to avoid any water damage). I stored my collection this winter in the closet in my bedroom. But with the weather changing I was thinking of moving them to the basement (has a dehumidifier that runs 24/7) until the Fall comes then move them back upstairs.

Thanks

oh and you can abuse me I am use to it at home :whee:

Seems you have a de-humidifier, I would go with the basement. (Unless you have AC upstairs. If so, I would store upstairs with the closet door open).

I'm in Jersey too and store my comics in my former gargage now play room. It gets cold in the winter in here and hot in the summer? Only other place I would be able to put them is in the master bedroom which my wife would not like. I may be able to just put them there in the summer for the air conditioning then move them back in the game room when the temp changes

Whichever is colder and dryer...most likely the basement since you have a dehumidifier.

Also the one that fluctuates the least.

:applause:

Hey FF

There's no reason for anybody to be disgusted about this topic or this tread. Lots of good info is being reported by all involved. Not everybody that reads this is gonna know every last nook and cranny about collecting comics, so this is great stuff being said. Its conversations like these that will progress the hobby forward. Others will come along and read the pertinent info being posted and learn from them. Hopefully our comments will cause others to do some research and learn more about this great hobby. As far as I'm concerned this topic and discussion is good for all involved. As long as we can avoid name calling and put downs then by all means continue this discussion..............

Thee are allot of people that have their books in too hot of a location so hopefully they will someday stumble across this topic and it will have been constructive.

On 4/8/2010 at 12:09 AM, MastrCntrlProgram said:

Thee are allot of people that have their books in too hot of a location so hopefully they will someday stumble across this topic and it will have been constructive.

Ten yrs later and somebody has, all this information has been very helpful. I’ll probably rent a Storage unit climate controlled.