• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storing Comics in Warm Temperatures?

80 posts in this topic

so it is not a good idea to store my books in the bathroom, next to my shower (shrug)

With the heating permanently turned up to full? (shrug)

Possibly not... hm

:applause:

so it is not a good idea to store my books in the bathroom, next to my shower (shrug)

With the heating permanently turned up to full? (shrug)

Possibly not... hm

:applause:
Nobody cares about your junky million dollar colection Rick.
:o

The problem is with the spring and summer coming up, the room is bound to increase in temperature. Not all that humid as I recall in years past, but certainly above what would be considered comfortable room temperature. I could easily install an air conditioner, but wouldn't plan on having it running 24/7. My other concern is that I wouldn't want the room temperature to rise and drop too much as I know that is not good for comics either.

This is gonna sound snarky but it's not. You must be living in a different Connecticut than I've lived in all my life. It gets humid as HELL here in the summer. No, not Florida humid or Louisiana humid but still pretty damn humid. Plus, your comic room is on the third floor? Only the attic will be hotter and more humid in the summer.

High temps are not really much problem. Humidity is the only worry you should have.

Where I live it gets up around 110 to 120 during the summer, I've always kept my books in the garage and they have always been ok.

Come on, really? Do the Library of Congress's accelerated aging tests performed in high temperatures mean nothing to you?

This thread has some of the worst advice I've ever seen on the CGC forums and that's saying something.

There are three musts in comic storage: COOL, RELATIVELY DRY, DARK. These are not hard to remember.

These three things are more important than the "mylar vs. polybag" debate or the "shiny side vs. dull side of the backboard" debate. This is because HEAT, HIGH RELATIVE HUMIDITY, AND EXCESSIVE EXPOSURE TO UV RAYS DESTROY COMICS.

Polluted air also destroys comics. You can alleviate the effects of pollution by using boxes made of Microchamber paper or by inserting Microchamber paper into the books themselves.

To the original poster: Don't store your books in the :censored: attic, or in the :censored: :censored: basement. Store them in an interior closet in an air-conditioned room in the house where there is not a lot of variation in the three musts. If the books are junk that you don't care about, then why ask the question? Just set the damned books on fire and save yourself the storage problem.

There, you have the best advice you're going to get on the topic. Listen to it or ignore it, but my work is done here.

For the love of christ, now I understand why Sal is starting nonsense threads with allcaps and no punctuation. Not that his threads before had any great comic topics being discussed, but at least they were written in proper English. Look what you've driven him to.

And me, for that matter - you've made me end a sentence with a preposition, I'm so worked up!

Absolute ing class! :roflmao:

(worship)

And I'm with Sal and FFB on this one...too often it appears that we've morphed into 'The Land Of The Stupid' around here.

POST OF THE NEW DECADE !!!

The problem is with the spring and summer coming up, the room is bound to increase in temperature. Not all that humid as I recall in years past, but certainly above what would be considered comfortable room temperature. I could easily install an air conditioner, but wouldn't plan on having it running 24/7. My other concern is that I wouldn't want the room temperature to rise and drop too much as I know that is not good for comics either.

This is gonna sound snarky but it's not. You must be living in a different Connecticut than I've lived in all my life. It gets humid as HELL here in the summer. No, not Florida humid or Louisiana humid but still pretty damn humid. Plus, your comic room is on the third floor? Only the attic will be hotter and more humid in the summer.

What he said. I’m a bit farther north up in MA, but I don’t think the climate is all that different. It gets powerful humid here.

You can get a hygrometer for about $15 at Home Depot. I’d strongly recommend one for your storage room to monitor humidity. Wide humidity fluctuations as as bad as wide temperature fluctuations.

What he said. I’m a bit farther north up in MA, but I don’t think the climate is all that different. It gets powerful humid here.

You can get a hygrometer for about $15 at Home Depot. I’d strongly recommend one for your storage room to monitor humidity. Wide humidity fluctuations as as bad as wide temperature fluctuations.

I was under the impression that EVERY east coast state in the US gets humid during the summer. I know it gets up around 60% to 75% humidity in the middle of the summer here in Virginia...I'd expect Connecticut to be a bit lower in the summer than Virginia, but not much, as it's a small state and it's right on the ocean.

Parts of Connecticut, including northwestern Connecticut, have a Humid continental climate while other parts, especially southeastern Connecticut, have a Humid subtropical climate, with seasonal extremes tempered by its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean. Winters are cold, with average temperatures ranging from 31°F (−1°C) in the southeast to 23°F (−5°C) in the northwest in January. The average yearly snowfall is about 25–100" (64–254 cm) across the state, with higher totals in the northwest. Spring has variable temperatures with frequent rainfall. Summer is hot and humid throughout the state, with average highs in New London of 81°F (27°C) and 87°F (31°C) in Windsor Locks. Fall months are mild, and bring foliage across the state in October and November. During hurricane season, tropical cyclones occasionally affect the region. Thunderstorms are most frequent during the summer, occurring on average 30 times annually. These storms can be severe, though tornadoes are rare.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/connecticut/417871-humidity-ct-compared-upstate-ny.html#ixzz0jxLpXNl7

I was under the impression that EVERY east coast state in the US gets humid during the summer. I know it gets up around 60% to 75% humidity in the middle of the summer here in Virginia...I'd expect Connecticut to be a bit lower in the summer than Virginia, but not much, as it's a small state and it's right on the ocean.

Usually, only the immediate coastline gets the benefit of the cooling effect of the water. Once you go a few miles inland, whatever sea breeze might be present vanishes.

Maybe the OP lives on the coast? hm

Hey guys,

I'm too far away from the coast to get much of the sea breeze you were talking about. When I talked about the room not being that humid, it wasn't meaning so much that it is impossible as much as I mean that my house gets good circulation.

In general, it does appear to be more hot than humid but that's in part due to the fact that I usually intall an AC to run on the really bad days; or have in years past. This room isn't my "comics room" by any means as I would select conditions far more ideal. My more valuable books are stored in a cool and dark place so I have no concerns there.

Right now, it's just a matter of conserving space as we're doing work around the house. The books aren't all that valuable but were enough to warrant a post. I'm not sure where one would draw the line but I care enough to ask so that must count for something.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and I will continue to search for the best possible solution. If it means that a few boxes of books need to be re-located, even if they take up space that I'd prefer for them not to, then so be it.

This is gonna sound snarky but it's not. You must be living in a different Connecticut than I've lived in all my life. It gets humid as HELL here in the summer. No, not Florida humid or Louisiana humid but still pretty damn humid.

Yep, I can confirm that.

This is gonna sound snarky but it's not. You must be living in a different Connecticut than I've lived in all my life. It gets humid as HELL here in the summer. No, not Florida humid or Louisiana humid but still pretty damn humid.

Yep, I can confirm that.

I have lived in florida for most of the last 40 years and I have NEVER felt any humidity here at all :insane:

Yep, I can confirm that.

I have lived in florida for most of the last 40 years and I have NEVER felt any humidity here at all :insane:

The entire southeast is humid, even if you're 200 miles in from the ocean; I'm 150 miles inland and the gauge on my wall tells me it's at 50% humidity just here in early spring. I didn't think you had to be really close to the ocean to be affected by evaporation off of it, but eh, I really don't know every variable that contributes to high humidity.

I live in upstate NY. In the summer, there are several days when the humidity is above 70% I don't take any chances with my books. I store them in a dark place, keep the humidity 55% or slightly lower and maintain a temperature of 65 to 70 degrees.

The most important factor for germination and growth of mold mycelia is moisture.

High relative humidities (75% or above) may cause a mold spore to germinate, but moisture content of the substrate is critical to its growth and survival. Hyphae (the name given to individual strands of the mold) are analogous to liquid-filled soda straws which require lots of water to transport nutrients from the substrate to the mold and to remain turgid. With these liquified nutrients, the hyphae exude a slime, called glucan, containing enzymes which further break down the substrate. As this process occurs, the mold mycelial mat grows and, in a few days, will be visible to the unaided eye.

All molds require moisture to grow, to produce enzymes for obtaining nutrients from the substrate on which they are growing, and to reproduce. Organic materials, such as paper, wood, and textiles are hygroscopic and will take up moisture from their surroundings. Water held within cell walls of the substrate is called “bound water”, whereas moisture held between the cells is considered “free water”. The percentage of moisture content of a substrate is the relationship between the weight of water present in the material expressed as a percentage of the oven-dry weight. For fungal decomposition to occur the moisture content of the substrate must be 20% or above.

In a practical setting, for example a below-grade library stack area, the general relative humidity of the open spaces may be 55–60%. Most would consider this level to be a “safe” one for such an environment. Yet mold is discovered growing on bound volumes in a corner, down by the floorline. How can this be? If one were to measure the relative humidity in this corner and sample the moisture content of the bound volumes, it would be found that the moisture wicking through the exterior basement walls and floor was sufficient to provide enough moisture in the micro-climate of that corner to not only allow mold spores to germinate, but to allow the mold mycelia to withdraw enough water from the volume covers to burst into a “mold bloom”. Just because the hygrothermograph in the center of a room says everything's “OK”, pockets of moisture may still be present in undisturbed areas of the room which will let their presence be known in the form of a mold bloom. Managing moisture accumulations in “dead air pockets” (micro-environments) of collection storage areas is critical to the control of mold production. Simply placing fans in key areas during times of high humidity or prolonged rainfall may often prevent mold blooms.

Most mold that grow on library/paper based materials become active only when RH reaches 70–75 and remains at that level for a few days. Higher RH and temperature increase probability of infestation and rate of growth.

Three critical temperatures for fungi are the temperature below which no growth occurs, the temperature above which no growth occurs, and the optimum temperature, at which the most rapid growth takes place.

Most microbial forms found in collections will grow in temperatures ranging from 59 to 95°F (15 to 25°C). The optimum temperature for the growth of specific molds is usually around 86°F, but is difficult to determine, in part because of other variables in environmental conditions, and in part because culturing organisms in the laboratory differs from the growth of the same organism in uncontrolled conditions. Optimum temperature may also vary by natural selection over time. (RK)

The temperature below which no growth occurs is not synonymous with the temperature at which the potential for growth is destroyed. Fungi and fungal spores can survive long periods at sub-zero temperatures. (Pure cultures purchased from biological supply houses are freeze dried. One need only add moisture to reactivate them.) This ability to withstand extremely low temperatures in a dormant state is utilized in the long term storage of fungal cultures in liquid nitrogen at a temperature of -196°C. Fungi are less tolerant of alternating below-freezing and above-freezing temperatures.

The temperature above which no growth occurs is not relevant in dealing with collections, since temperatures too high to allow mold growth or high enough to seriously damage existing mold growth, would unquestionably be harmful to artifacts and collections. Most hydrated conidia and living hyphae are killed at temperatures just around 40°C and killed by freezing.

Moving air allows for rapid evaporation and drying, thus preventing the retention of high moisture content which favors growth. Given the same temperature and RH, air movement will sometimes determine whether or not mold grows even in high moisture conditions.

Because fungi lack chlorophyll, light plays a minimal role in the growth (metabolic processes) of fungal species. Some species of fungi are diurnal, that is, light actually inhibits growth during the day and growth is accelerated at night. The mold ends up with a growth pattern of concentric circles.

Light may trigger sporulation in fungi that require it. Cochrane speculates that light checks growth, thus initiating a chain of events that lead to sporulation. Belayakova reported exposure to ultraviolet light affected pigment production. However, it does affect the reproductive processes. Light is essential for the formation of conidiophores and spore production in many species

Light also plays an important part in spore dispersal since the conidiophores of many fungi are positively phototropic and discharge their spores toward the light. Research has shown that exposure to ultra-violet light is injurious or lethal for some species.

And I'm with Sal and FFB on this one...too often it appears that we've morphed into 'The Land Of The Stupid' around here.

The collective IQ here is sad...oh how I used to enjoy real conversation here. It's not much more than a place for people to fart and burp...really.

Also, keep in mind that temperature CONSISTENCY matters too.