• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wondercon report

61 posts in this topic

No pictures, sorry.

This was an interesting Wondercon for me because it was the first one post-divorce so I could spend whatever the heck I wanted and my girlfriend, who likes comics (unlike the ex-wife), came along.

Going to a convention with a bundle of guilt-free cash and a significant other is a great experience.

On getting onto the floor, we started making the rounds. I was looking for Jumbo Comics 70 and 127 to complete my Baker Jumbos and soon discovered that those two books were nowhere in the Moscone Center. There wasn't a lot of other Fiction House I was interested in but it turns out that the girlfriend favors airbrushed Schomburg covers. She kept pointing them out from the wall books. She's also a promising grader, pointing out condition flaws like a seasoned CGC pro. Later in the day, she helped my find some late-run Daredevils. I think this one's a keeper.

The floor was fairly crowded, but not as crowded as it had been on Saturdays in the past. People still felt it was ok to hold conversations in the middle of the aisles despite ample lobby and seating space. Lines for freebies were long. I saw the DC folk putting out stacks of comics and the fans were reminiscent of piranha going after a cow. I didn't see a lot of costumes early in the day, but in the afternoon, they seemed to have come from the woodwork.

The only boardies I saw were Marc (House of Comics), Spiderman on Tilt, and Golddust. Time was short for me, so I didn't have any good opportunity for socializing. It appears that despite all the benefits of going to a convention with a girlfriend, shopping takes twice as long as it does when going alone.

I may go back tomorrow (Sunday) for more shopping and hopefully to take some pictures.

Along with a small stack of late 80s and 1990s Daredevils, I purchased these:

From House of Comics:

Teen-AgeRomances1.jpg

The B&B 53 is from the Mohawk Valley Collection. Purchased from Superworld:

BraveBold53.jpg

BraveBold69.jpg

My Harley purchase:

FightComics20.jpg

Also from Superworld. Ted is a great guy to chat with.

Exciting62.jpg

I have no idea who I bought this from, but it was one that the girlfriend noticed right after we arrived:

ThrillingComics64.jpg

And my first Fighting Yank comics. How can you resist a superhero saving a blond in a flowered bikini from being eaten by a rare shallow-water surf shark?

FightingYank20.jpg

Sean, I'm really happy for you and it looks like you're having a terrific weekend!

:applause:

dude's got a girlfriend that likes him and comics, I would say he is going terrific (thumbs u

Sean, I'm really happy for you and it looks like you're having a terrific weekend!

dude's got a girlfriend that likes him and comics, I would say he is going terrific (thumbs u

Yeah, but I didn't want to gush for him too much.

:blush:

Don't understand that thing about a comics code though ???

It was silver age DC. I don't think they really needed that little stamp in the corner.

:gossip: ....if you marry her, don't her off or she'll take half the comics. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:gossip: ....if you marry her, don't her off or she'll take half the comics. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Nope. Only the GGA (and the DC war for her son). But marriage or her off aren't in my plans right now.

From what I'm hearing, it sounds pretty mediocre for sales so far.

I haven't bought a single comic so far and I was there Thursday and Friday as well.

Friday's crowd was pretty heavy actually (even though it was raining), but the comic dealers are spread out and there seems to be less of them.

Boardmembers seen there: Blazingbob and Cobra Commander are manning the HighGradeComics booth. CW and Marc from HouseofComics are sharing a booth. JeffreyKli, Jbud73, Goldust40, Paris_Fred are walking around. JonJesper is at the CGC booth. I saw Vinnie wandering around (no booth this year... so they must be buying). TopNotchMan? The other usual SF Bay Area suspects...

Congrats on the pickups...and its great to hear you got a girl who enjoys comics. Its a great feeling, going to a con, and having someone to enjoy it with. My wife is awesome like that...she's responsible for the X-Men #1 I own, and many other sweet books. Glad you had a great time.

But marriage are in my plans right now.

EDIT!!!! Marriage ISN'T in my plans right now. Sorry.

The funny thing is that I knew that's what you meant. lol

Post forwarded to the GF :devil: