• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Age Keys NOT in 9.8

99 posts in this topic

At least insofar as Whitmans goes, you may as well call them Bronze all the way up to the Gladstone takeover in 1986.

There is not a single stylistic or editorial change on ANY of these books, and since many of them are reprints of 50's and 60's material anyways, that makes sense.

It is not until Gladstone that there's a significant...and important...shift in all things Disney...and the WB characters, like Bugs, Tweety, Sylvester, Daffy et al, would have to wait until the 90's to be revamped.

I've read through the thread on the Wolverine #35 in the grading and restoration room ( Link ) and it got me thinking about this thread that I had seen earlier. In light of that 20 page (on my settings) discussion on that book (with 'Nam #52-53 mentioned as well) I thought it was worth resurrecting this one. What Copper books, not just keys, are still MIA in 9.8 condition?

I've read through the thread on the Wolverine #35 in the grading and restoration room ( Link ) and it got me thinking about this thread that I had seen earlier. In light of that 20 page (on my settings) discussion on that book (with 'Nam #52-53 mentioned as well) I thought it was worth resurrecting this one. What Copper books, not just keys, are still MIA in 9.8 condition?

The vast majority of copper books don't have any CGC 9.8 copies because it's not worth it to slab those books. Take Eclipse's Airboy series, for instance - there are slabbed copies of issues #1, 3, 5 and 45, but none of the other 46 issues in that series have a single graded copy in the census (CGC 9.8 or not) :shy:

I get that many books aren't worth slabbing because they have virtually no value. But it is a different story when you have slabbed books for a series but none of them have made 9.8. The Wolverine is an example, and there are books listed earlier in this thread that seem to fit that bill as well.

Should Signature Series books count? I mean, they ain't "unbothered" and true 9.8's. Right?

They could't possibly be a 9.8, if the name Darren Dingledorf was written across the front of the cover. Right?

I'm just sayin'.

But don't get me wrong. I like SS very much, and I collect them. But they are something "different" in grading. I bet there are books signed by a dozen people, that have been graded 9.8. Does a 10.0 SS book exist? Should it?

Can a book be signed by one or more of the creators of that book, accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity for the signature, be graded a 9.8?

I'm just asking.

Should Signature Series books count?

Yes.

They could't possibly be a 9.8, if the name Darren Dingledorf was written across the front of the cover. Right?

Wrong.

Does a 10.0 SS book exist?

Yes, I own one.

Can a book be signed by one or more of the creators of that book, accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity for the signature, be graded a 9.8?

Yes, though the COA means jack-squat.

But don't get me wrong. I like SS very much...

Really? You seem to be "just saying" a lot of things that seem to imply otherwise.

animal_man9.jpg

Is the silver pen extra for sigs usually? Or does it vary with artists?

It's common for this artist.

I have two Killing Joke first prints signed inside by Bolland and Moore like that.

Yes.

Disagree. But it ain't the first or last time.

Wrong.

Well, I guess you mean IF Darren Dingledorf was "okayed" by CGC as having something to do with the book. Otherwise, "no".

Yes, I own one.

Interesting, that an essentially "perfect" book has been scribbled on.

Okay. Like the ones that come with pedigreed books, I guess.

Really? You seem to be "just saying" a lot of things that seem to imply otherwise.

All I am "just saying", is that SS books are a different kind of collectible than a "normal" comic book slabbed. A comic book graded 9.8 SS, can be more beautiful or less beautiful than a blue label book. It depends on the collector. ie: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some here have stated things like "you attempt to scribble on my book and you will have a fight on your hands". Others may state "Mr. so and so, please sign my book on the middle of the front cover". I collect both ways. Straight and blemished intentionally. For different reasons. There is no way, IMO, that a book can be written on and be graded 10.0. No way.

animal_man9.jpg

Is the silver pen extra for sigs usually? Or does it vary with artists?

It's common for this artist.

I have two Killing Joke first prints signed inside by Bolland and Moore like that.

Hey! That's my book!

Bolland Animal Man SS books. :cloud9:

Yes.

Disagree. But it ain't the first or last time.

True.

Wrong.

Well, I guess you mean IF Darren Dingledorf was "okayed" by CGC as having something to do with the book. Otherwise, "no".

Of course. I thought that was the assumption. Otherwise, you're just being argumentative.

Yes, I own one.

Interesting, that an essentially "perfect" book has been scribbled on.

If you take into effect that SS is essentially a qualified grade in which the signature is ignored, then it becomes less interesting.

Okay. Like the ones that come with pedigreed books, I guess.

Yup.

All I am "just saying", is that SS books are a different kind of collectible than a "normal" comic book slabbed. A comic book graded 9.8 SS, can be more beautiful or less beautiful than a blue label book. It depends on the collector. ie: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some here have stated things like "you attempt to scribble on my book and you will have a fight on your hands". Others may state "Mr. so and so, please sign my book on the middle of the front cover". I collect both ways. Straight and blemished intentionally. For different reasons. There is no way, IMO, that a book can be written on and be graded 10.0. No way.

Why?

"Why?"

Because someone scribbled on it. Often an unreadable signature.

But....if you have to ask, then we don't have a starting point for a serious discussion. Writing on the cover of a comic book, is deducted for by CGC, in every case except for Signature Series. Which is an invention of their own making.

That's a clue.

Writing on the front of a comic books cover, when it comes to grading. Can not be ignored. It just can't by any rational comic collector. If you think that a 10.0 SS is just a qualified 10.0, then we will have to agree to disagree. Because not only do I subscribe to the notion that no paper product with writing on it, can be a perfect 10. I do not believe that any comic book should be graded a 10. Defies logic. Show me a 10.0 in my hand, and I will show you a flaw or two.

I collect CGC SS books for the signatures. The grades mean little to nothing in their cases. If I had the chance to get a signature from Elvis or Marilyn Monroe, back when they were alive. It would have matter naught to me what grade the photo or magazine they signed was, a 9.8 or a 1.8. Not a bit. They could have signed a napkin with ketchup on it, for all I would care. It is about the signature, and not about the grade. What if CGC started grading the signatures. So many are unreadable. A semi-straight or crooked line. Or have a smear appearance. Or a roach drawing on a book about a spider. Or a sketch drawing that looks like a child drew it.

Signature Series books are only special to me because of all of the faked or forged items one can purchase, that were not actually signed by the actual person. CGC gives me a 99.9% feeling of authenticity of the signature. The grade matters little to none. I am collecting the signatures. Not the grades. My collecting graded only books (not SS), is about the condition of the books.

Two totally different collections.

"Why?"

Because someone scribbled on it. Often an unreadable signature.

But....if you have to ask, then we don't have a starting point for a serious discussion. Writing on the cover of a comic book, is deducted for by CGC, in every case except for Signature Series. Which is an invention of their own making.

That's a clue.

Writing on the front of a comic books cover, when it comes to grading. Can not be ignored. It just can't by any rational comic collector. If you think that a 10.0 SS is just a qualified 10.0, then we will have to agree to disagree. Because not only do I subscribe to the notion that no paper product with writing on it, can be a perfect 10. I do not believe that any comic book should be graded a 10. Defies logic. Show me a 10.0 in my hand, and I will show you a flaw or two.

I collect CGC SS books for the signatures. The grades mean little to nothing in their cases. If I had the chance to get a signature from Elvis or Marilyn Monroe, back when they were alive. It would have matter naught to me what grade the photo or magazine they signed was, a 9.8 or a 1.8. Not a bit. They could have signed a napkin with ketchup on it, for all I would care. It is about the signature, and not about the grade. What if CGC started grading the signatures. So many are unreadable. A semi-straight or crooked line. Or have a smear appearance. Or a roach drawing on a book about a spider. Or a sketch drawing that looks like a child drew it.

Signature Series books are only special to me because of all of the faked or forged items one can purchase, that were not actually signed by the actual person. CGC gives me a 99.9% feeling of authenticity of the signature. The grade matters little to none. I am collecting the signatures. Not the grades. My collecting graded only books (not SS), is about the condition of the books.

Two totally different collections.

The bolded section was a nice touch. For over 20 years I have run across collectors that feel the same way. Personally it doesnt bother me, but I see their logic.

Checking the latest census... these books (1980-1995) have been submitted at least 20 times without receiving a CGC 9.8:

Vampirella 113

Uncle Scrooge 179

Albedo 3

Wizard 1

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 480

Little Lulu 261

Cry For Dawn 5 Second Printing

Milk & Cheese 1

Yosemite Sam 69

DC Special Series 21

If Signature Series 9.8 doesn't count, then you can add this one:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 Variant Cover