• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brenmark's WonderCon 2010 Report

23 posts in this topic

Ah... spring is in the air. In fact, my 20- year- old oak tree finally decided to unfurl its leaves out in the backyard this week, and I’m just enjoying the California spring. Convention season is beginning, and WonderCon 2010 is one of my favorites because I can see many of the same art and comic dealers with one-fifth of the crowds that you see (and bump into) at San Diego.

CopyofTreeA.jpg

Brenda and I headed up the central valley from Fresno to San Francisco on Thursday to get rested for the convention. On Friday, my wife goes off to shop to her heart’s content, and I head for the Mosconi Center. I was looking to complete several transactions that were put into motion several months ago with an old friend. We met on Friday morning, and I was able to acquire a great Cisco Kid daily by Jose Luis Salinas and several wonderful Charles Vess pieces of art. Needless to say I was very happy with my new acquisitions.

CopyofCiscoA.jpg

Close Up of Cisco Kid:

CopyofCiscoE.jpg

CopyofCiscoD.jpg

Splash from mini-series Books of Magic 3

CopyofVessMagicB.jpg

Spirits in the Woods

CopyofVessSpiritsA.jpg

Close-up

CopyofVessSpiritsB.jpg

Later that day I acquired this pencil of World War II airplanes as I walked the room looking at the various selections of art from all the major art dealers. It’s 2X, and my scanner does not do it justice.

CopyofPlanesC.jpg

One of the reasons I wanted to come to Wondercon was to see Joe Kubert again. It had been several years since I had seen him at a convention. I went to meet Joe Kubert at the Joe Kubert School of Art Booth. I was in line about an hour as many others had the same idea. I brought with me, for Joe to sign, a page from Star-Spangled War Stories from 1957. Joe seemed pleased to see his old artwork again, and although this page doesn’t have Sgt. Rock, it does have the military action with airplanes that I like to collect. As I was walking around with this page, I ran into Mark Shultz, and he pointed out Joe’s use of the grease pencil explosions as part of the page in addition to the ink explosions. That’s what I love about conventions. When I show a page to professional artists like Mark Schultz or Tom Yeates, I always learn something new from the technical aspect of drawing. I buy a page because it speaks to me or connects to me emotionally, but it’s icing on the cake to learn how artists use white out, various pencils, or ink or wash to create dramatic effects.

CopyofKubertB.jpg

CopyofKubertA.jpg

CopyofJoeKA.jpg

Kubert's page from Star Spangled War Stories

CopyofKubertM.jpg

Close ups

CopyofKubertP.jpg

CopyofKubertS.jpg

Mark Schultz

CopyofShultzB.jpg

It’s always a pleasure to talk comic art with Tom Yeates and Al Gordon, two of the nicest guys in the business. I picked up the John Carter hardbound that is illustrated by Tom, and it is simply chock full of art plates and spot illos. What a beautiful book! I also saw some pages from a book called Legends which dealt with mythological creatures and legends from old stories but with a new retelling. Anthony Horowitz is the author, and for now the two books are published only in the U.K. Tom did a very nice wash of St. George and the Dragon, and I bought it as soon as I saw it. I’ve been an admirer of his work for many years and have owned many pen and inks, but this is the first wash I’ve owned by Tom, and it goes up on the wall very soon. At the same time I’m talking to Tom, Al is playin’ the blues and The Eagles, and we burst out into song. Next year I’m bringing my guitar. He’s not only a great inker, but he’s also plays a mean guitar.

CopyofStGeorge.jpg

CopyofYeatesA.jpg

CopyofAlGordonA.jpg

I brought up a Warfront cover from Harvey to get a second opinion on the artist who drew it. When I bought it from Heritage last year, they weren’t sure who the artist was, but when I got the piece it said Elias in pencil at the top of the page and was signed Lee down in the lower right corner so I was pretty sure it was Elias.

Tom Yeates told me that he actually had Lee Elias as an instructor, and he was pretty certain it was indeed by him. Usually Lee Elias would sign his name in a circle on those old Witches Tales and Chamber of Chills. Maybe his name is under the writing stats in the lower right corner, and they pasted right over it. Regardless it was a piece I liked, and it’s nice to have some confirmation.

CopyofWarfrontB.jpg

I also got to meet Ethan Van Sciver. His work on Flash Rebirth takes me right back to the Flash comics I use to buy in the late 50s, early 60s. He told me he was striving for that silver age feeling when he did that series and liked the fact I still had some of my Flashes that I bought off the stands back then. Ethan is moving up steadily on my list of artists from whom I want a representative work of art. I usually don’t collect art from the modern age, but pages from Flash Rebirth and Walking Dead are starting to get my attention.

CopyofCopyofEthanS.jpg

I talked with many of the regular art dealers that one sees at Wondercon and at San Diego. I came very close to purchasing a Charles Dana Gibson, but I just couldn’t pull the trigger. I am a big fan of illustrative art, and Heritage hasn’t made it any easier with all the auctions they have been having lately. Here are some pictures.

Charles Dana Gipson

CopyofGipson.jpg

Albert's Wall

CopyofAlbertWall.jpg

CopyofAlbertsWallB.jpg

Anthony's Wall

CopyofAnthony.jpg

Bechara's Wall

CopyofBecharraA.jpg

CopyofBecharra.jpg

Just a great cover!!

CopyofHouse.jpg

There were not too many costumes on Friday, but on Saturday there were dozens probably because the masquerade was that night. Here are a few shots I was able to take.

CopyofPiratesA.jpg

CopyofShadow.jpg

CopyofCrowdC.jpg

CopyofWonderA.jpg

CopyofWonderB.jpg

The crowds

CopyofCrowdH.jpg

I also went to the Murphy Anderson panel and enjoyed listening to one of the greats of the golden and silver age. Mark Evanier did his usual superb job of moderation, and everyone asked as many questions as they wanted to ask. I do wish that the organizers would have some sort of generic booth or table for those artists who wish to sign for their fans but have no place to go. This would be especially nice if the artist is a special guest of the convention.

Since we are swept out of the room almost immediately after a panel, it would be nice to have a room or table where admirers can have a couple of items signed.

Both Kubert and Anderson are in their 80s, and these giants in the field of comic art seem to be very pleased to be with the fans who come to see them. However, if you are waiting in a line for an hour (as I did to see Kubert) to say a few words or have a couple of books signed, please have some consideration for your fellow fans and don’t take out 20 or 30 items to be signed. One should be grateful that many artists do not charge for their signature, but please be reasonable when there are hundreds of people waiting.

Murphy Anderson and Mark Evanier

CopyofMurphyB.jpg

Brenda and I ate at our favorite restaurant, John’s Grill, on Saturday night. There is something about having clam chowder and sourdough bread in San Francisco that can’t be beat. Sunday we had Easter brunch and headed back to Fresno talking in the beauty of Highway 5 and its rolling green hills.

Well... I’ve rambled on enough as I tend to do so will end for now. I’ll add a few more pictures tomorrow. See you in San Diego.

Mark

Nice top notch report. Loved the close ups of the artwork.

Agreed! Thanks for taking the time to post! (worship)

What a superb Kubert page!

CopyofKubertM.jpg

I've never purchased OA at Cons before (mainly animation cels only), but are they usually marked up vs. eBay prices. What's a general price (if there is one), for a modern page with a main character on it go for?

Here are a few more pictures.

CopyofMickeyB.jpg

Nice Shelly Montage

CopyofShelly.jpg

Classic Batman Cover

CopyofBobKane.jpg

I don't play video games much but this Dante's Inferno was very cool.

CopyofDanteA.jpg

CopyofDanteD.jpg

Sal of Amazing Adventures

CopyofSal-1.jpg

Big Ron

CopyofRonMurray.jpg

Ted of Superworld Comics

TedSuperworld.jpg

Blazing Bob Storms of HighGrade Comics

StormsA.jpg

Al Gordon

AlGordonC.jpg

Monte Moore

CopyofMonteA-1.jpg

Cool Robot

CopyofRobotPoster-1.jpg

Sergio Aragones

CopyofSergioA-1.jpg

Mystery in Space

CopyofAlbertsWallC.jpg

And Crowds, Crowds, Crowds

CopyofCrowdE-1.jpg

CopyofCrowdB-1.jpg

See you next year!

Baron,

They aren't usually marked up compared to the dealers site (if they have one). Can't really compare it to ebay since prices for ebay can be all over the place. I can tell you that like buying other things in person at shows you can get bargins either buying multiple pieces or just haggle. Alot of OA dealers are open to that.

Speaking from the point of view of a completely unbiased observer, this was the best pic from the show! :cloud9:

CopyofAlbertsWallC.jpg

Albert had the MIS cover, but Bechara had several pages from MIS #72 and 74 so there was more Infantino available than I have ever seen before at one convention. It was awesome!

Great report, just like last year. Thanks for stopping by and showing me the art. Thanks to silverseeker for dropping by too. Good to meet both of you.

It was good to meet you and other board members at WonderCon this time around as I am relatively new to posting on this board. It's always nice to put a face with a name and enjoy a conversation about what we like about collecting, whether it be comics or original art.

Albert had the MIS cover, but Bechara had several pages from MIS #72 and 74 so there was more Infantino available than I have ever seen before at one convention. It was awesome!
Bechara had an entire book one year at San Diego -- either 72 or 74 and I've seen a few covers but I don't own any. I love AS but haven't found the right page, at the right price at the right time.

Bechara had an entire book one year at San Diego -- either 72 or 74 and I've seen a few covers but I don't own any. I love AS but haven't found the right page, at the right price at the right time.

I can't even imagine seeing a whole MIS book by Infantino at one time. I thought I was in heaven just seeing the cover to MIS #90 at Joe and Nadia's booth several years ago. Good luck with your search, AS.