• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SHOW AND TELL! JUMBO 9 - FINEST IN EXISTENCE?!?!?!

90 posts in this topic

does Peter (rarehighgrade) have the MH jumbo 9, or just the first 8 (I get so overwhelmed with his collection, tough for me to remember)

does Peter (rarehighgrade) have the MH jumbo 9, or just the first 8 (I get so overwhelmed with his collection, tough for me to remember)

Don't know, but here are the first 8...

95968.jpg.5e28f50bc7361e54d17b4c36e8a8d821.jpg

I remember them the next year... and I think he has the MH 9 (NM copy (shrug) )

I don't get tired of seeing these copies. They are truly amazing in person. :cloud9:

95969.jpg

When I saw them auctioned in Heritage some time ago, I was totally floored. I'm kinda surprised CGC is unable to grade books of this size. But again, I prefer they don't grade books of this size. Just to have the chance to open up these issues and read them makes you feel like you're in the 1930s :-)

When I saw them auctioned in Heritage some time ago, I was totally floored. I'm kinda surprised CGC is unable to grade books of this size. But again, I prefer they don't grade books of this size. Just to have the chance to open up these issues and read them makes you feel like you're in the 1930s :-)

I remember them the next year... and I think he has the MH 9 (NM copy (shrug) )

If he does own the MH 9, he acquired it separately from the 1-8.

1930s funny books! :cloud9: Jumbo #9 - one of my favorites! Combines all the the things I enjoy about collecting - a classic cover by a favorite artist (for me, that's Fine or Eisner), oversized and rare!

You have a nice copy. And always enjoying seeing a high grade copy from the comic box. My copy is lower grade, but like Steve, I'm just happy to own one! Never can get enough of seeing the Chruch #1-8 run and would love to see the #9 that goes along with them!

Jumbo9.jpg

That would be cool if he posted a scan of the MH 9!

I like the 9 the most because it's the only issue in the run with its unique size/width

Plus, the moment I got it graded, I had know idea, as the CGC label says, it's the first color issue of the title. I never knew that as I have never held any of the first 8 issues in my hands.

I guess the #9 is a historic issue :-)

Sorry all, didn't mean to confuse you with my statement about the VF Jumbo 9 that's owned by Jon Berk. As mentioned, it's a great accomplishment.

His copy I'm sure is better than mine. It's nice to see one come up in such condition.

I actually thought the name 'JB' was Jerry Buss(owner of the LA Lakers) - I heard he is a big comic collector through a few dealers unless I am wrong?!

I sold Jerry Buss over 100 Fiction House at San Diego con in 1995. I don't think he collects anymore though. He was very nice and had a guy with him just to carry the books. He left my table loaded down with golden age.

Sorry all, didn't mean to confuse you with my statement about the VF Jumbo 9 that's owned by Jon Berk. As mentioned, it's a great accomplishment.

His copy I'm sure is better than mine. It's nice to see one come up in such condition.

I actually thought the name 'JB' was Jerry Buss(owner of the LA Lakers) - I heard he is a big comic collector through a few dealers unless I am wrong?!

I sold Jerry Buss over 100 Fiction House at San Diego con in 1995. I don't think he collects anymore though. He was very nice and had a guy with him just to carry the books. He left my table loaded down with golden age.

and you were left holding a buttload of cash :headbang:

and you were left holding a buttload of cash :headbang:

:cloud9:

I think Gerber should have made this a higher index number.

Wow - 6 copies just from board members so far, maybe Gerber should have made it a lower number not higher.

;) kidding there, as six is more than I've seen in the last 10 years combined.