• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The ALL STAR #58 Club. (First Power Girl)

122 posts in this topic

It's funny...for decades, this book was absolute junk. $1 bin fodder at best.

Then, PG takes a central role in Infinite Crisis, and BLAMMO!

Big break out.

OPG 35th Edition (2005, based on 2004 data) has it as a $50 book in 9.2 and has a picture of it and that was before Infinite Crisis. I haven't looked at earlier editions to see what they say. I'm not saying it would actually have cost you $50 back then, but if it was in a dollar box at that point it was an accident. Go back another 5, 10 or 15 or 20 years and, well, heck, a lot of good stuff was in dollar boxes back then while people were throwing big money on the latest Liefield or whatever was hot that moment krap.

meh

The 2001 OPG has it listed at $18.

The 1998 OPG has it a $8.

It was still dollar bin fodder.

Oh, and in the 2006 OPG, when Unity #0 Reds were selling for $75, and had been for years, it was listed for $3.00

So, really...? You're gonna quote OPG? Really...?

Tell me what the book was selling for on EBAY....

I bought mine in 2002 or so with a run of the entire All-Star revival. All a buck a piece. All were F/VF except the 58 which now rocks a CGC 9.6. All my raw copies were $3 or less, but most of them were bought in the 80s and 90s.

2004 OPG data has it as a $40 book in 9.2.

2006 OPG data has it as a $55 book in 9.2.

the person i really feel sorry for is the guy who bought the 9.6 copy in July of '06 for $227

2004 OPG data has it as a $40 book in 9.2.

2006 OPG data has it as a $55 book in 9.2.

the person i really feel sorry for is the guy who bought the 9.6 copy in July of '06 for $227

Why? Was it you? One just sold for $225 in December of 2009.

i don't venture that far afield from my core, chum.

one also sold in April '09 for $155. another in May of '08 for $203. white pages for all, btw

I think it was 2001 ( maybe 2002) that i paid $3 for mine. Theres alot of stories like that. I still remember walking into a small comic shop on staten island , NY and buying a copy of Giant Size Xmen 1 and Xmen 94 for $35 for both ( i would say they were both in VG-FN maybe 6.0 or so) , was like 1998 or so. Things change alot in a few years.

So, really...? You're gonna quote OPG? Really...?

---------------

You said it was dollar box stuff until infinite crisis, which was what, 2006?

$50 in OPG doesn't make it into a dollar box except as an oversight even if it's only a $10-$15 book on ebay.

$8 in OPG can certainly be in a dollar box intentionally. $18 is borderline.

Heck, NTT #2 could be found in dollar boxes when it was $25-$50 on ebay (and way less in OPG).

With all of that said, I'm pretty sure I did pick up #59 out of a dollar box in nice shape in the last couple of years since infinite crisis and am pretty sure I picked up a #58 out of a dollar box within the last 10 years, but likely 6.0 or under shape. The fact that you CAN (with lots of looking) find something in a dollar box doesn't make it a "dollar box" book if that book is worth plenty more on ebay or here or to someone looking for it, it just means a dealer wasn't paying attention or trying to squeeze every last nickel out of his/her inventory or doesn't appreciate the dynamics of ebay for $5 or $10-$20 books (or doesn't want to bother selling the $5 book on ebay)

I think it was 2001 ( maybe 2002) that i paid $3 for mine. Theres alot of stories like that. I still remember walking into a small comic shop on staten island , NY and buying a copy of Giant Size Xmen 1 and Xmen 94 for $35 for both ( i would say they were both in VG-FN maybe 6.0 or so) , was like 1998 or so. Things change alot in a few years.

---------

$35 was hardly market price for those books in that shape in 1998. the store F-ed up or the owner took a liking to you. my old LCS (and any LCS with a decent business) would have put them up on the wall for $75-$100 back then, each (maybe more for the GS 1), and would have sold them in a week and you could have sold them for a heck of a lot more than $35 at a show no problem. and yes, 1998 was a bad time for shops, but that sort of stuff still sold then. in 1998 i did a small local show and was selling later issues in the 90s in VG - VG/Fine shape for $15-$20 a pop and blew them all out.

Well they were in VG - FN as I said there not high grade. or CGC submitting shape and could have been 1997 but it was no earlier then 1996 (that I know) . I started re-collecting back in 1996 so I know thats the earliest. Also my wording was wrong , they were $35 each not for the set.

Maybe someone remembers the little comic shop just off of Bay Street in stapleton Staten Island. It closed up like a decade ago. Was across the street from the Staten Island Ferry.

I have had stores sell books for way below guide. I went into Midtown Comics in Manhattan a few years ago and purchased both the Chrome versions of Spiderman 1 and ASM 300 for $10 each ( was shocked thats all they had them for) and sold them a few weeks later for $150 on Ebay for the set. I know there were other purchases but they escape me.

It's funny...for decades, this book was absolute junk. $1 bin fodder at best.

Then, PG takes a central role in Infinite Crisis, and BLAMMO!

Big break out.

Its never been junk to me. Mike Grell cover. My raw copy is safely tucked away with all my other Grell books. :cloud9:

Not if the one on clink gets 650.00. I think I would have to buy silver age for that price. That is my problem with Bronze age. There is a lot of silver to be had for the nose bleed prices some of these books are bringing.

In ASC 58 case though it might be one that actually has thin numbers on high grades that substain over time.