• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another 80's Video Game that has reached the $10,000 mark

98 posts in this topic

For me I am actually more proud of this one going at the moment $12,600 than any other video game hitting the 5 figure mark. The reason this is going for so much is because it is the only one known photographed copy of this game. Still being an Atari 2600 collector this is a special auction for me. An item that actually hit the 5 figure mark. I am pretty sure this will not be the last one to hit the 5 figure mark.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110514343174

I still have about 80 games up in the attic with the system.

I only have very few that I still have in the box.

I have a Beserk and a Asteroids still in the shrinkwrap.

I like the artwork on these boxes so much that I picked these up on eBay about 10 years ago.

As the only one boxed I understand but Im still always impressed about how much video games go for now. But as a kid i dont remember me or any of my friends any having the boxes or instructions to the games.

I didn't always save the boxes but before I sold all my games several years ago on eBay I had every instruction book and catalog insert.

I frickin' wish. I remember hearing about them when I was 10 or 11. I remember hearing about what went down, and although not completely understanding all of the nuances, my prurient interest was piqued. :devil:

The video game market counfounds me. When I clicked that link, I was hoping it was some classic 2600 game like Adventure, Haunted House, etc...but they're always some weirdo game nobody's heard of nor cares about. It's the comic equivalent of some miscellaenous unimportant book like Alpha Flight #76 being worth a ton because it never hit the stands and there are only 5 in existence or something. Valuing rarity for the sake of rarity alone is completely :insane:

The video game market counfounds me. When I clicked that link, I was hoping it was some classic 2600 game like Adventure, Haunted House, etc...but they're always some weirdo game nobody's heard of nor cares about. It's the comic equivalent of some miscellaenous unimportant book like Alpha Flight #76 being worth a ton because it never hit the stands and there are only 5 in existence or something. Valuing rarity for the sake of rarity alone is completely :insane:

:takeit:

It's about being a completionist. Don't think of these games individually, think of them as a set. Game collectors tend to go for full-sets for a gaming platform. The comic equivalent would be if, for whatever reason, there were only a dozen copies of ASM 65 in existence; it would probably be worth as much as ASM 1, even though it has no significance as an individual issue.

Oh I agree. At the moment games like Haunted House, Adventure, and others are not commanding huge prices because there is simply more supply than demand. Remember the hobby is still somewhat small. Believe it or not people actually strip the Adventure, Haunted House games to put in Homebrew games all the time. Heck and many more are trashed because a decent amount went unsold. The hobby is still relatively small. Give it some time. I forsee in 10 years things being drastically different. Eventually games like Adventure, Space Invaders, Yars Revenge, and the like will be thought of in the same vain as Incredible Hulk #1, Silver Surfer #4, and Amazing Spider-man #129.

Eventually collectors will realize that the money for items in the 80's is not in Comic Books but Video Games.