• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comicconnect Auction prices

52 posts in this topic

I think CC posts results after the entire auction is over..... (shrug)

But if the lot didnt meet reserve, it shows the starting bid at $1

I don't pay much/any attention to bids that don't meet reserve as many people don't bid or bid differently when there's a reserve.
(thumbs u

I think CC posts results after the entire auction is over..... (shrug)

But if the lot didnt meet reserve, it shows the starting bid at $1

I can start detailing results here, for all to see and to keep an archive of, starting next auction (thumbs u

dear GAtor,

Do you think the big collector investment $$ is flowing from the UK or Canada for key GA now? Seems like the US greenback is in the toilet compared to other world currencies.

Have you actually looked at exchange rates lately, because you seem to be in a 2008 timewarp. The Pound is actually one of those rare currencies that is in the toilet compared to the USD, and the Euro is well off its highs. The Loonie, Aussie Dollar and Yen continue to be strong against the USD, but still are off their highs.

My personal impression is that the big inflow of funds from European and British collectors has tapered off from the 2005-2008 time frame, and I haven`t heard of any big Canadian or Aussie inflow taking their place.

I think the Canadian dollar being high again is bringing in a lot of money from average GA collectors, like myself. The run-up to $1.10 or so was fleeting, and the Canadian dollar has been down to almost $0.80 since then. I know for myself when it gets within 10% I buy a lot more, a few percentage points and I don't even bother thinking about conversion. I am not a big fish, but I have spent over $5,000 this year, none of it recycled comic money, fresh money I have put into comics. I think there are a fair number of Canadian collectors like me who are spending a lot more then normal now that the dollars are almost par again. Seems like I have seen a lot of action from other Canadian collectors on these boards this year. Would be good to hear from others how the exchange rates influence them.

Bruce

dear GAtor,

Do you think the big collector investment $$ is flowing from the UK or Canada for key GA now? Seems like the US greenback is in the toilet compared to other world currencies.

Have you actually looked at exchange rates lately, because you seem to be in a 2008 timewarp. The Pound is actually one of those rare currencies that is in the toilet compared to the USD, and the Euro is well off its highs. The Loonie, Aussie Dollar and Yen continue to be strong against the USD, but still are off their highs.

My personal impression is that the big inflow of funds from European and British collectors has tapered off from the 2005-2008 time frame, and I haven`t heard of any big Canadian or Aussie inflow taking their place.

I think the Canadian dollar being high again is bringing in a lot of money from average GA collectors, like myself. The run-up to $1.10 or so was fleeting, and the Canadian dollar has been down to almost $0.80 since then. I know for myself when it gets within 10% I buy a lot more, a few percentage points and I don't even bother thinking about conversion. I am not a big fish, but I have spent over $5,000 this year, none of it recycled comic money, fresh money I have put into comics. I think there are a fair number of Canadian collectors like me who are spending a lot more then normal now that the dollars are almost par again. Seems like I have seen a lot of action from other Canadian collectors on these boards this year. Would be good to hear from others how the exchange rates influence them.

Bruce

I am starting to go bananas, and I need to control myself.

dear GAtor,

Bruce

Totally agree Bruce, while I just started into the Golden Age era the exchange has increased my purchases. I'm committed to getting the key books sooner and on time payments. Canadian dollar is experiencing resistance at par. Speaking with some currency traders on my floor, they believe once it goes past par the likely settling point will be 1.05/1.06. If this indeed comes true I will take full advantage and purchase many more books.

dear GAtor,

Bruce

Right. I think the weak dollar is one influence. I suspect another factor that may be driving up the record auction prices may be new and foreign investors looking to park their money somewhere until the real estate and financial markets become stable.

I'm wondering whether these great jumps in Golden Age prices are a bubble and we might see some downward pressure, when the same investors decide to move money back into the traditional investments.

did the action #2 sell?
yep, it was over 19K reserve met last I checked it (we both sold it too cheap doh! )

is there a way i can view the final sale price?

you sold it well. i sold it WAY too cheap doh!

How cheap did you guys sell?

i sold to gator for 13500 if i remember correctly. same old story... desperate for cash to make another purchase bla blah blah :)

he got 18K+ for it via Clink.

dear GAtor,

Bruce

Right. I think the weak dollar is one influence. I suspect another factor that may be driving up the record auction prices may be new and foreign investors looking to park their money somewhere until the real estate and financial markets become stable.

I'm wondering whether these great jumps in Golden Age prices are a bubble and we might see some downward pressure, when the same investors decide to move money back into the traditional investments.

Hard for me to see approximately $5 million or so in total "record auction prices" as indicating some sort of capital flight to comic books or from foreign markets. The recent "record auction prices" were for a sum total that only gets you a nice house or condo in, for example, San Francisco. And aren't auction prices tanking for large swaths of GA comics, like the guy who sold all those recent Mile High books?

Seems to me that the market for Action Comics 1 and Detective 27 are indisputably strong, and perhaps that carried over over to the Church Flash Comics 1, but unless you know who the recent purchasers were how can you make any statement about the buyer's motives? Given that Metro issued press releases saying the buyers were established comic collectors, I see no evidence that these purchasers are the result of new money.

My own view is that big money investors are unlikely to see comics as a good place to park significant sums of money (and by significant I mean millions) because the market is too likely to be distorted by the buying and selling as it appears to have a relatively small capacity compared to other safer markets.

Bruce

I am definitely looking to buy some stuff, but I've been getting crushed in the last few auctions.