• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Is Great News--Joss Whedon to Direct The Avengers

76 posts in this topic

Whedon's credits include "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Firefly," "Angel," Serenity, "Dollhouse" and upcoming The Cabin in the Woods

And based on that filmography, I should be excited...why? (shrug)

Yeah, all a bit underwhelming.

Don't get me wrong...it's not a disastrous choice, but...

Whedon is going to be ordering around a stellar cast comprising Norton, Downey Jr, Samuel L Jackson, etc...

Just where do he earn his stripes at that level? (shrug)

Whedon's credits include "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Firefly," "Angel," Serenity, "Dollhouse" and upcoming The Cabin in the Woods

Whedon is going to be ordering around a stellar cast comprising Norton, Downey Jr, Samuel L Jackson, etc...

I think the studio wanted to make the fanboys happy by hiring someone in the comic book industry to direct the movie 2c

I think the studio wanted to make the fanboys happy by hiring someone in the comic book industry to direct the movie 2c

I think you're right and Whedon will certainly have empathy with and understanding of the subject material.

Still, I can't help worry that he's going to be a touch out of his depth.

I think you're right and Whedon will certainly have empathy with and understanding of the subject material.

Still, I can't help worry that he's going to be a touch out of his depth .

Well,looks like we're going to have to wait & see two years from now about that.

Where did Favreau earn his stripes? Elf was a fun holiday movie, but not one that suggested he was capable of a blockbuster superhero film.

Where did Favreau earn his stripes? Elf was a fun holiday movie, but not one that suggested he was capable of a blockbuster superhero film.

He earned his stripes with Swingers.

:cloud9:

He earned his stripes with Swingers.

:cloud9:

Good movie, but about as far from a superhero flick as you can imagine.

I don't think the prerequisite should be to have a superhero flick under your belt. It should be the ability to capture a mood and make something believable.

A good director must be versatile to be good.

Ridley Scott is versatile and great. He makes great Superhero movies and he makes great romances and comedies.

Actually, I think Whedon is a fine choice. After watching seasons of Buffy with my wife, I am convinced it was one of the more creative and well written shows.

Having said that, I'm not sure whether he has the stuff to direct the above mentioned names. However, he did very well with talent that really hasn't gone on to do much after Buffy.

He only had a desperate Downey Jr to contend with...oh, and Gwynie.

Whedon will have to prove himself to his stars before he can even start to consider directing the movie.

I don't think the prerequisite should be to have a superhero flick under your belt. It should be the ability to capture a mood and make something believable.

A good director must be versatile to be good.

Ridley Scott is versatile and great. He makes great Superhero movies and he makes great romances and comedies.

Neither do I. That was my whole point.

Whedon will have to prove himself to his stars before he can even start to consider directing the movie.

My point is that Whedon is far more in his wheel house with The Avengers than Favreau was with Iron Man, and that worked out great. I suspect Whedon will do just fine.

I'd hardly call Downey Jr desperate. He's always been a great actor and has a pretty impressive resume and sure he's been in a lot more movies since Iron Man but he had all those issues with drugs for so long that I think since he got clean he's become the star he should've been.

I think Joss Whedon is a fine choice for the film and he won't have to "prove" himself to anyone involved in the movie. I won't live vicariously through whatever means gives some the insight into just how the cast will react to Whedon as director. :screwy:

I'm happy to see this film getting made and am very excited to see the movie and what will follow from Marvel Studios. :applause: Iron Man was fantastic and Favreau did a great job. Can't wait to see the sequel next month!

I'd hardly call Downey Jr desperate. He's always been a great actor and has a pretty impressive resume and sure he's been in a lot more movies since Iron Man but he had all those issues with drugs for so long that I think since he got clean he's become the star he should've been.

At the time Iron Man was made, Downey Jr was desperate. Up until that point, he was borderline unemployable and it was that film, and his performance on and off camera, that brought him back into the fold.

And I agree...he's a superb actor who I hope :wishluck: will now fulfil his promise.