• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Is Great News--Joss Whedon to Direct The Avengers

76 posts in this topic

I think Joss Whedon is a fine choice for the film and he won't have to "prove" himself to anyone involved in the movie. I won't live vicariously through whatever means gives some the insight into just how the cast will react to Whedon as director. :screwy:

So this isn't the place where we discuss what ifs and what might bes? And as far as insight goes, 'Joss Whedon is a fine choice for the film' seems to be a huge chunk of same?

As is 'he won't have to "prove" himself to anyone involved in the movie'. I can only assume that you know the cast personally and know how they treat inexperienced, non-A list directors?

Oh, and your second sentence is borderline unintelligible.

I'm a fan of whedon as a Director. Sure he has mostly made TV programmes but they have been some of the best. Buffy, Firefly and Dollshouse are great plus the movie Serenity was awesome. In all honesty i'm not that excited about a film like this as I am not sure any top director will pull it off so Whedon as as good a chance as any. The problem is this, how do you convince either of the stars that they do not have top billing. I just can't see it working but I will go and give it a great shot. It's almost the too many bad guys scenario in films such as Spiderman 3 (shrug)

Yeah, all a bit underwhelming.

Don't get me wrong...it's not a disastrous choice, but...

Whedon is going to be ordering around a stellar cast comprising Norton, Downey Jr, Samuel L Jackson, etc...

Just where do he earn his stripes at that level? (shrug)

Fairly unwarranted criticism based upon the quality of Whedon's previous works, particularly given that your statement above also applies to the directors of the best comic book movies ever created--Nolan and Raimi--at the time they entered the Batman and Spider-Man franchises. Hiring Whedon for this reminds me a LOT of putting J. J. Abrams on Star Trek, who also had made his bones with fantastic work in television but not to the level of an iconic work such as the original Star Trek storyline...we can only hope Whedon rises to the same level that Abrams did! :wishluck:

Whedon is going to be ordering around a stellar cast comprising Norton, Downey Jr, Samuel L Jackson, etc...

Fairly unwarranted criticism based upon the quality of Whedon's previous works, particularly given that your statement above also applies to the directors of the best comic book movies ever created--Nolan and Raimi--at the time they entered the Batman and Spider-Man franchises. Hiring Whedon for this reminds me a LOT of putting J. J. Abrams on Star Trek, who also had made his bones with fantastic work in television but not to the level of an iconic work such as the original Star Trek storyline...we can only hope Whedon rises to the same level that Abrams did! :wishluck:

I share your hopes. (thumbs u

But it wasn't criticism...I pointed out (fact) that Whedon's resume doesn't included A list work. I asked where he'd earned his stripes working with A-List, potentially volatile, stars (he hasn't).

It's a cause for concern, no more than that, but I'd love to see him succeed, obviously.

Time to load up on copies of Avengers #1 again. :devil:
You would probably do better flipping tons of first volumes of "The Ultimates". Seems that is the direction these movies are taking. So my bet goes with Ultimate Avengers vol.1 is gonna be the winner.

Whedon's credits include "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Firefly," "Angel," Serenity, "Dollhouse" and upcoming The Cabin in the Woods

And based on that filmography, I should be excited...why? (shrug)

Where did Favreau earn his stripes? Elf was a fun holiday movie, but not one that suggested he was capable of a blockbuster superhero film.

He only had a desperate Downey Jr to contend with...oh, and Gwynie.

Whedon will have to prove himself to his stars before he can even start to consider directing the movie.

I'd hardly call Downey Jr desperate. He's always been a great actor and has a pretty impressive resume and sure he's been in a lot more movies since Iron Man but he had all those issues with drugs for so long that I think since he got clean he's become the star he should've been.

At the time Iron Man was made, Downey Jr was desperate. Up until that point, he was borderline unemployable and it was that film, and his performance on and off camera, that brought him back into the fold.

And I agree...he's a superb actor who I hope :wishluck: will now fulfil his promise.

Nick, your timeline is off here. RDJ got his substance abuse problem under control in 2002, and has made 3-4 films a year since then. If anything, his rep was that he was too much the thespian, taking rolls in films like Zodiac and Good Night and Good Luck, rather than more popular fare. Iron Man didn't mark the point in his career when he was "welcomed back into the fold", it marked the point when he embraced the blockbuster and became a superstar.

Whedon's credits include "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Firefly," "Angel," Serenity, "Dollhouse" and upcoming The Cabin in the Woods

Where did Favreau earn his stripes? Elf was a fun holiday movie, but not one that suggested he was capable of a blockbuster superhero film.

Whedon will have to prove himself to his stars before he can even start to consider directing the movie.

I'd hardly call Downey Jr desperate. He's always been a great actor and has a pretty impressive resume and sure he's been in a lot more movies since Iron Man but he had all those issues with drugs for so long that I think since he got clean he's become the star he should've been.

At the time Iron Man was made, Downey Jr was desperate. Up until that point, he was borderline unemployable and it was that film, and his performance on and off camera, that brought him back into the fold.

And I agree...he's a superb actor who I hope :wishluck: will now fulfil his promise.

Nick, your timeline is off here. RDJ got his substance abuse problem under control in 2002, and has made 3-4 films a year since then. If anything, his rep was that he was too much the thespian, taking rolls in films like Zodiac and Good Night and Good Luck, rather than more popular fare. Iron Man didn't mark the point in his career when he was "welcomed back into the fold", it marked the point when he embraced the blockbuster and became a superstar.

I think we'll have to beg to differ on what constitutes being 'welcomed back into the fold'. Post 2002 and prior to Iron Man, his resume reads...'He appeared in semi-independent films such as The Singing Detective (2003), Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005), and A Scanner Darkly (2006). He also had supporting roles in the mainstream films Gothika (2003) and Zodiac (2007).'

Now, he was clearly working again, and in not insubstantial roles, but none of the A studios were keen, and certainly not to open a film with this sort of budget. I read an interview with Downey Jr in Q Magazine at the time of the opening and he basically said that he knew that the film was his opportunity to show that he was over his issues and start fulfilling his potential again.

I think we'll have to beg to differ on what constitutes being 'welcomed back into the fold'. Post 2002 and prior to Iron Man, his resume reads...'He appeared in semi-independent films such as The Singing Detective (2003), Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005), and A Scanner Darkly (2006). He also had supporting roles in the mainstream films Gothika (2003) and Zodiac (2007).'

Now, he was clearly working again, and in not insubstantial roles, but none of the A studios were keen, and certainly not to open a film with this sort of budget. I read an interview with Downey Jr in Q Magazine at the time of the opening and he basically said that he knew that the film was his opportunity to show that he was over his issues and start fulfilling his potential again.

He made 15 films from 2002 to when Iron Man began filming in 2007, so calling him desperate and borderline unemployable is inaccurate. Certainly the big studios didn't think he could open a blockbuster, but was that because of his past substance abuse problem, or simply because he'd never opened a big budget picture before? Hollywood is full of actors that studio heads think are incapable of opening a blockbuster, regardless of whether they've had a drinking/drug problem or have a squeaky clean reputation.

Well if helming 4 of the most popular TV shows in the last decade (despite Fox) doesn't get him a bit of cred with the cast... doh!

Well if helming 4 of the most popular TV shows in the last decade (despite Fox) doesn't get him a bit of cred with the cast... doh!

I never knew he directed Battlestar, The Sopranos, Desperate Housewives, 24, Lost or The West Wing? hm

That certainly puts a different spin on things! :D

:baiting:

He made 15 films from 2002 to when Iron Man began filming in 2007, so calling him desperate and borderline unemployable is inaccurate. Certainly the big studios didn't think he could open a blockbuster, but was that because of his past substance abuse problem, or simply because he'd never opened a big budget picture before? Hollywood is full of actors that studio heads think are incapable of opening a blockbuster, regardless of whether they've had a drinking/drug problem or have a squeaky clean reputation.

OK, perhaps I was a bit harsh in my characterisation of Downey.

However, the point very much still stands. Favreau only had a keen-to-impress Downey to contend with. Whedon will have Norton, Jackson, Downey, et al, to contend with. There's a difference and whilst it doesn't mean that it will be beyond him, it is a concern given that he has little experience this high in the stratosphere.

As I said earlier, I truly hope he succeeds and I believe he has the skill. Experience is where he might have problems.

I never knew he directed Battlestar, The Sopranos, Desperate Housewives, 24, Lost or The West Wing? hm

What's up with the Whedon-hating?

Calling him "inexperienced" is ridiculous considering the fact that he's been responsible for some of the defining TV series of the last decades,

and has proven time & time again that he's a master of writing sharp dialogue & engaging storylines. He's also a die-hard comic book geek with multiple comic book writer credits under his belt.

I, for one, am utterly excited that he's going to be helming up this franchise.

Calling him "inexperienced" is ridiculous considering the fact that he's been responsible for some of the defining TV series of the last decades,

and has proven time & time again that he's a master of writing sharp dialogue & engaging storylines. He's also a die-hard comic book geek with multiple comic book writer credits under his belt.

It's nothing like a question of 'Whedon-hating'. From my post above...

'...there's a difference and whilst it doesn't mean that it will be beyond him, it is a concern given that he has little experience this high in the stratosphere.

As I said earlier, I truly hope he succeeds and I believe he has the skill. Experience is where he might have problems.'

You can do all the TV that you like, but film is a step-up. Film with these names is a further step-up.

And let's not forget the trouble that Norton on his own created with the last Hulk film. :eek:

Anyone seen A Scanner Darkly? I noticed it on HBO on Demand the other day and nearly watched it after seeing the preview.

Anyone seen A Scanner Darkly? I noticed it on HBO on Demand the other day and nearly watched it after seeing the preview.

You should watch it ASAP. It is fantastic.

It's nothing like a question of 'Whedon-hating'. From my post above...

'...there's a difference and whilst it doesn't mean that it will be beyond him, it is a concern given that he has little experience this high in the stratosphere.

As I said earlier, I truly hope he succeeds and I believe he has the skill. Experience is where he might have problems.'

You can do all the TV that you like, but film is a step-up. Film with these names is a further step-up.

And let's not forget the trouble that Norton on his own created with the last Hulk film. :eek:

To me this seems like a very old-fashioned way of thinking about things - niche movies (which definitely includes movies based on superheroes) has a strong history of using non-A list directors, and succeeding because of this. Iron Man succeeded because Favreau brought something new to the table - Superman Returns failed because Singer (who's most certainly A-list) didn't.

And in this day & age, jumping from TV to directing large-budget movies is nothing new - I think you're vastly over-estimating the "stepping up" that Whedon needs to do here.

I don't think Edward Norton would give anything but respect to a director. I just don't see him as a guy who thinks of himself as "I'm Edward Norton, I'm the man!" and while yes Sam Jackson does think of himself as "I'm Sam Jackson, I'm the man!" because well he's the only Jedi with a lightsaber that says BMF on it, I still think he's a professional and as such will do his job exactly the way it needs to be done.