• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kick *spoon* Roger Ebert Review: One Star!

122 posts in this topic

well I'm probably the odd one out in this discussion,

as I've actually seen kick .

I thought it was great fun, was exactly what I was expecting, and I'm very far from being a teenager.

well I'm probably the odd one out in this discussion,

as I've actually seen kick .

I thought it was great fun, was exactly what I was expecting, and I'm very far from being a teenager.

Oh, I'll probably see it, too. Good excuse to power down a large popcorn.

Yup. I can't go to the movies much since Lil Pontoon is only 2, (only saw one in the last year, A Serious Man) but when I used to go more often I'd be shaking my head at the movies parents would take their kids to see. I saw some numbskull parents with a couple of seven-10 year olds at I Am Legend.

What did you think of A Serious Man?

I liked it, thought it was pretty funny and was glad my single trip to the theater in 12 months was an enjoyable one. I like most Coen Bros. movies. "I'll show you the life of the mind!"

Yup. I can't go to the movies much since Lil Pontoon is only 2, (only saw one in the last year, A Serious Man) but when I used to go more often I'd be shaking my head at the movies parents would take their kids to see. I saw some numbskull parents with a couple of seven-10 year olds at I Am Legend.

I liked it, thought it was pretty funny and was glad my single trip to the theater in 12 months was an enjoyable one. I like most Coen Bros. movies. "I'll show you the life of the mind!"

I thought it was very sad and a bit uncomfortable to watch at times.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am shocked....SHOCKED....that a 68 year old person didn't like this movie.

68? This movie is clearly targeted directly at adolescents, and I can't imagine anyone over 20 being entertained by it. It's like Hotel for Dogs with guns.

First off this movie is not "targeted directly at adolescents". It is targeted at the same audience that pretty much all comics are meant for the days, 25 to 35 year old dudes.

I'm 39 and will probably enjoy it the same way I enjoyed Kill Bill, but I would never take my kids to see either of those two movies.

Any kid whose parents do take them to see this movie, doesn't have a chance anyways.

I thought it was very sad and a bit uncomfortable to watch at times.

Maybe we should move this to PM.

How come? I don't think it was intended that way.

someone thought it was a good idea to bring their 6 month old to an 10:30 p.m. Imax showing of alice in wonderland. In the front row. thankfully the kid eventually fell asleep after crying. granted, we took our 4 1/2 year old to the same showing, but it was a saturday and he had a long nap that afternoon.

I'm sure Ebert knows that just because there are kids in a film doesn't make it a movie for kids but chose to ignore this for his own reasons.

If he wanted to see a kids movie with cream pie guns he should go rewatch Bugsy Malone and reminisce about the good "old" days of movies

I give his review: thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

someone thought it was a good idea to bring their 6 month old to an 10:30 p.m. Imax showing of alice in wonderland. In the front row. thankfully the kid eventually fell asleep after crying. granted, we took our 4 1/2 year old to the same showing, but it was a saturday and he had a long nap that afternoon.

Off with their heads! :taptaptap:

Seriously...when is it ever a good idea to bring a child as young as 4 1/2 or 6 months or any age where the attention span is limited to a movie. You cant put them on silent mode like a cell phone.

I guarantee you wont see my child at any age inappropriate showings. I will gleefully sit in the midst of 100 5 years olds at Toy Story 3 and we will all have a raucous good time. But..do not bring your precious "snowflake" to any showing of Alice in Wonderland 3D. One outburst and they have just ruined several seconds to minutes of film action and dialogue that cannot be retrieved via a convenient rewind button and I will be quite POed. Its irresponsible and inconsiderate to do so not only to those attempting to enjoy the movie but to the child as well who shouldn't be forced to sit through 2 hours of something they have no intention of watching in the first place.

\takes deep breath

\\steps off soapbox

\\\Rant over.

Seriously...when is it ever a good idea to bring a child as young as 4 1/2 or 6 months or any age where the attention span is limited to a movie. You cant put them on silent mode like a cell phone.

My favorite story like this is from when I took my little four year old cousin to see Space Jam. His dad and I are fairly close in age so he has always called me Uncle Sean. About 20 minutes into the movie (which was mostly live action instead of cartoon, as i recall) he looks at me and says in his outside voice "Hey, Uncle Sean, when is Space Jam gonna start!!??"

"Let's say you're a big fan of the original comic book, and you think the movie does it justice. You know what? You inhabit a world I am so very not interested in..."

I'd say that pretty much sums it up for me...

I guarantee you wont see my child at any age inappropriate showings. I will gleefully sit in the midst of 100 5 years olds at Toy Story 3 and we will all have a raucous good time. But..do not bring your precious "snowflake" to any showing of Alice in Wonderland 3D. One outburst and they have just ruined several seconds to minutes of film action and dialogue that cannot be retrieved via a convenient rewind button and I will be quite POed. Its irresponsible and inconsiderate to do so not only to those attempting to enjoy the movie but to the child as well who shouldn't be forced to sit through 2 hours of something they have no intention of watching in the first place.

\takes deep breath

\\steps off soapbox

\\\Rant over.

well, he begged us to take him to alice in wonderland, so that's why we took him. we would have gone to the 8:30, but it was sold out. this is the first time we've taken him to a night movie or non-kids only movie (he saw monsters v. aliens and how to train your dragon during the day). having sat quietly during those other movies we figured he could handle this one and he did just fine. he has a 2 hour attention span for a movie like this given that he'll sit and watch Wall-e and Invincibles on TV over and over again without getting up. i know i saw movies when i was in my 4s and had no problems paying attention (though maybe i'd need to go to the bathroom). my 4 1/2 year old is quieter and better behaved than most 14 1/2 year olds in this sort of public situation. it's at home where he's a PITA.

as for movie-time outbursts. i live in new york city. we saw the movie in krooklyn. in the event that you are unfamiliar with urban movie audiences, half the adult audience was having an argument with the screen anyway.