• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Trek 1 Gold Key

65 posts in this topic

How many on this board have one?

I'm anxiously awaiting for my copy to get back from CGC. There hasn't been a ton of sales (based on GPA) and the census for above 9.0 is pretty small.

I had it proscreened at a 9.0 with the possiblilty of a 9.2.

Also, does anyone know of the ratio the back cover variant is to the regular back cover? Mine is the variant. It seems that the variant sells more often than the regular.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Scott

what is funny is OSPG has it wrong (as I have submitted with my report the last few years)... the "variant" photo cover is the common one...

I would say at least 10:1 "variant" photo bc to the reg back cover... if you have a reg back cover, that is worth tons more than the variant photo cover, imo

what is funny is OSPG has it wrong (as I have submitted with my report the last few years)... the "variant" photo cover is the common one...

I would say at least 10:1 "variant" photo bc to the reg back cover... if you have a reg back cover, that is worth tons more than the variant photo cover, imo

(thumbs u I have never seen one that is not a photo cover, I concur they have it wrong.

I googled Star Trek 1 and the only covers that are even shown are the photo variant, some guy who has a website about Star Trek says he never seen the other cover in 40 years! Someone should e-mail Overstreet to set it straight that the back photo cover is really the common issue.

I have also never seen the "regular" back cover in over 30 years of collecting. Overstreet really does need to get this right. Most people would equate "variant" as the scarcer book, which is not the case on this book.

I will post a scan of my copy as soon as I get it back from CGC.

Thank you for your feedback gentlemen.

Scott

The top of the census for this comic is 9.0 (rather amazing for a book from 1967), so if your copy grades out according to the preliminary screen you'll be at the top, too.

In an earlier thread, Mr. Bedrock questioned whether this comic even exists without the photo back cover. I, for one, have only seen it with the Kirk photo. Does anyone own a copy without it?

The top of the census for this comic is 9.0 (rather amazing for a book from 1967), so if your copy grades out according to the preliminary screen you'll be at the top, too.

In an earlier thread, Mr. Bedrock questioned whether this comic even exists without the photo back cover. I, for one, have only seen it with the Kirk photo. Does anyone own a copy without it?

I have owned 2 ... one of them I sold to a buddy in Tallahassee and I emailed him asking him to scan it... it is a multi ad back cover (less busy than #2)...

but yes, OSPG has it backwards, the reg cover is the rare one

I have also never seen the "regular" back cover in over 30 years of collecting. Overstreet really does need to get this right. Most people would equate "variant" as the scarcer book, which is not the case on this book.

I will post a scan of my copy as soon as I get it back from CGC.

Thank you for your feedback gentlemen.

Scott

the problem is that it is a variant, but ospg lists it as "scarce" and with a much higher price, when just the opposite is true

I submitted this error last year with my report and submitted it again this year with my report, but I guess we need other advisors to chime in too, to get it changed (shrug)

cgc has graded 20 copies of the reg back cover version, with 9.0 as the highest...

cgc has graded 173 copies of the "variant" photo back cover version, with 9.6 as the highest

Gator,

You are correct sir. I didn't pull the window all the way down to see the variant stats.

Based solely on submissions, the variant is nearly 8.5X more plentiful than the regular back cover.

I think it started just the opposite... the first thought was the photo cover and then GK realized "why aren't we selling ad space" and produced a smaller number used at the end of production

don't know of course, only speculating

cgc has graded 20 copies of the reg back cover version, with 9.0 as the highest...

cgc has graded 173 copies of the "variant" photo back cover version, with 9.6 as the highest

why are there 3 census's?

normal/variant/photo variant

i thought the photo was the variant..is there another? or is the census just messed up?

i figure you would know?

why are there 3 census's?

normal/variant/photo variant

i thought the photo was the variant..is there another? or is the census just messed up?

i figure you would know?

I have never heard of a third version, but did notice that 1 single book on the census was broken out, but for what reason, I don't know