• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Trek 1 Gold Key

65 posts in this topic

Not having read the newest OSPG yet. It has been my understanding the back cover is the same for all the books. It is the inside back cover that has the ad or not. So without actually opening the book up you cannot tell if it is a variant.
that is not correct...there are distinct back cover variants for issues 1-3... interior, sure?, but exterior for sure (I have scans of issue 2 and 3 variants, just never took one of 1)

Overstreets saying issue 2 and 3 have the photo back covers exteriors variants plus the ad back cover exterior variant

but now issue 1 only has a back exterior photo cover and that no ad back cover exterior exists.

Boy, I am just getting confused typing this, best advice is just read page 1025 of the Overstreet if you can. :)

It is fascinating how this is still not "settled" by OSPG. BTW Rick, how many requests do you get for the 1st issue to buy? I don't see too much activity in GPA.
not as much as I did in the 90's and early 2000's...

as mentioned, over my 20+ years of dealing in ST collectibles , I bet I have bought and sold more than 100 copies of star trek #1...and sold a dozen + complete runs of 1-61...but of late, I have not bought and sold a lot of them (in fact, I have only sold 1 run a year ago, and I just bought an entire run last month)

It is fascinating how this is still not "settled" by OSPG. BTW Rick, how many requests do you get for the 1st issue to buy? I don't see too much activity in GPA.

as mentioned, over my 20+ years of dealing in ST collectibles , I bet I have bought and sold more than 100 copies of star trek #1...and sold a dozen + complete runs of 1-61...but of late, I have not bought and sold a lot of them (in fact, I have only sold 1 run a year ago, and I just bought an entire run last month)

This may be the reason,they have the whole run including the Gold Key,Marvel and DC issues legally on dvd now and it can be bought on Amazon,I also seen Best Buy blowing these out at $9.99 a few months back.

Times are a changin as someone famous was said. ;)

6180eC5IJwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This may be the reason,they have the whole run including the Gold Key,Marvel and DC issues legally on dvd now and it can be bought on Amazon,I also seen Best Buy blowing these out at $9.99 a few months back.

I have that set and it is neat... I still like to think comic collectors want to "hold" and physically collect the actual issues, but no doubt the demand for issues/runs has dwindled dramatically from the 90's/early 2000's to today :cry:

I have that set and it is neat... I still like to think comic collectors want to "hold" and physically collect the actual issues, but no doubt the demand for issues/runs has dwindled dramatically from the 90's/early 2000's to today :cry:

i would hope that if someone could produce a "rare variant" #1 for sale in any market,there would be plenty of demand for it....i would hope.

and as mentioned, cgc has confirmed they have graded numberous examples of issue 1 with variant cover (maybe they are refering to interior?)

i have a feeling Steve B. can put an end to this once and for all...

Doubt that :sorry:

When I was a serious comic book collector, I never was a Gold Key "kind of guy". When we started CGC, we did not only use the info we already knew, we used other top collectors, top dealers, and, of course, the OSPG for information, which, I am pretty sure, is where we got the info about the ST 1 variant.

Looking at the census, one would have to assume, that their is no variant.

Grading as many comics in a day that I did, I never noticed if I had ever done a #1 without a photo back cover. I just saw a photo and made sure "back cover variant" was checked.

and as mentioned, cgc has confirmed they have graded numberous examples of issue 1 with variant cover (maybe they are refering to interior?)

i have a feeling Steve B. can put an end to this once and for all...

Doubt that :sorry:

When I was a serious comic book collector, I never was a Gold Key "kind of guy". When we started CGC, we did not only use the info we already knew, we used other top collectors, top dealers, and, of course, the OSPG for information, which, I am pretty sure, is where we got the info about the ST 1 variant.

Looking at the census, one would have to assume, that their is no variant.

Grading as many comics in a day that I did, I never noticed if I had ever done a #1 without a photo back cover. I just saw a photo and made sure "back cover variant" was checked.

Hasn't Rick seen at least one?

thanks for the input Steve.

The only thing confusing is that the census actually has 3 different books...20 with no mention of variant,and 2 different variant seperate census's...one with a large # that seems to be the "photo/common" book...the 20 in the other is what puzzles me.

OK, I'm so close to actually understanding this. So we have determined that the inside of a #1's back cover proves whether it is the variant or not. What are the interior back cover possibilities? Which interior back cover is the common and which is the rare?

The black and white photo interior back cover is the common book..the advertisement back interior cover is rare...at least that's the latest thinking.

Maybe Overstreet will get this right next year: "#1 rare variant with advertisement on inside back cover". Hopefully we wont need to wait until OSPG #80 for this to be cleared up. Would be nice if someone had a photo of the variant ad to post :wishluck:

the problem is I never took pics of interior covers...and as mentioned above, the demand for the GK issues has waned so dramitically over recentl years, that I have gone from wanting multiple copies to somewhat hesitantly holding 1 set...but, eventually, I am sure someone will think to do that

Do you think that is a result of this hyper focus and narrow market we are seeing in comics or was Star Trek always tied to the TV/Movie Franchise and somewhat independent of the comic book market.

In other words, who were you buyers.

Do you think that is a result of this hyper focus and narrow market we are seeing in comics or was Star Trek always tied to the TV/Movie Franchise and somewhat independent of the comic book market.

In other words, who were you buyers.

my buyers were mostly not comic collectors, but Star Trek collectors that wanted the #1 comic (or run of them)...

over the years, I bet we have sold in excess of a million Star Trek action figures to tens of thousands of different collectors (that number has recently and dramatically reduced to probably less than 2500 active collectors, at least from our customer base)... so I doubt even 1% of them "cared" about a variant cover, they just wanted "a" copy (thumbs u