• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cons vs Online

36 posts in this topic

After you subtract the fun of Cos players, rubbing up against other unwashed comic geeks and meeting your comic idols. Then considering things like value shopping versus high grade quality shopping Where do you think you get the better buys, a few medium sized Cons or a couple of key Online sites, not including feeBay?

For me, cons are usually a bust. I have added very few books to my collection from conventions and finding a fair deal can be even harder. I enjoy the atmosphere and seeing all the incredible books, but since I am collecting for a specific niche, there aren't that many books for me to consider picking up.

Online is an easy winner for value for me.

From one who has done both, you get much better buying opportunities at cons. Honestly, you don't ever see a dealer buy 200 other books from another dealer online, but you see it at almost every convention multiple times. Obviously, I am talking about older books here, but even for fairly recent stuff, you can get much better deals at conventions, not to mention that you get first crack at many collections, months before they are "debuted" online.

It is not even a close call.

From one who has done both, you get much better buying opportunities at cons. Honestly, you don't ever see a dealer buy 200 other books from another dealer online, but you see it at almost every convention multiple times. Obviously, I am talking about older books here, but even for fairly recent stuff, you can get much better deals at conventions, not to mention that you get first crack at many collections, months before they are "debuted" online.

ssshhhh Dale, don't tell these people. I want everyone to stay home except me going to the cons.

So yes people online is the way to go. :whistle:

Please stay home and let SOT have all the con space to himself.

One thing that's very important to me,is having the book in my hands before I buy the book.So in my opinion I find better deals at cons,solely because I get that instant gratification.I have a hard time worrying whether I'm going to get that high grade grail safely in the mail. :eek:

I've found much better deals online then at cons.

Cons are a lot of fun to go too, but the delaers KNOW what something is worth and will ask what it 's worth as well. (fair enough)

However online I've gotten found many great deals over the years, prices are much better online and easier to bargin down prices as well.

Plus at cons, dealers need to ask higher prices to help pay for thier tables etc..

At WonderCon in San Francisco a table is like $1000, and around $1200 for a corner table.

Again though to answer the question, yeah I find much better deals online.

Online is the best way to buy and I only collect GA, SA and OA. Last year I'd spent over 10K on books and art, only 1K at cons and that was for 3 Pre-Code Horror comics. So far, this year I've spend almost 4K on books and art. All were brought online, still haven't attended a con yet. The only con I'm attending this year is NYCC in October.

I've found much better deals online then at cons.

Cons are a lot of fun to go too, but the delaers KNOW what something is worth and will ask what it 's worth as well. (fair enough)

However online I've gotten found many great deals over the years, prices are much better online and easier to bargin down prices as well.

Plus at cons, dealers need to ask higher prices to help pay for thier tables etc..

At WonderCon in San Francisco a table is like $1000, and around $1200 for a corner table.

Again though to answer the question, yeah I find much better deals online.

That's why online is the best way to buy. (thumbs u

I spent very little money at C2E2 because I knew the Clink auction and Qualitycomix auction were imminent and my money is simply much better spent online. Trust me, I hate to say this but online auctions are now better than conventions, not as much fun, but better prices.

Since you took eBay out of the equation, I'd have to go with cons. For the second-tier '50's books I am looking for, I can get better deals at a con than from a listing by dealers online. In fact, small shows are even a better way to go than larger cons. Some of my best purchases came from local shows. It does help that I have a wide want list and that I will buy off it dependent on what's available for sale.

Agreed. Buy at cons then sell online. ;)