• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX

71 posts in this topic

Never heard of the "fortress" before. What does it look like?

It was like a medieval chastity belt for your comic book. :eek:

I hope all the comic is there. I had a comic that was missing 3/4ths of it. I'll never buy a PGX slab again unless the owner will guarantee it when I crack it open immediately.

You bought a comic missing 3/4th of it; was it claimed to be complete?

Do tell...

It was a Giant Comics Edition that clearly says "128 pages" on the binding and it was in a blue holder with no disclosure otherwise. I bought it in an auction. I knew that I was immediately going to crack it open anyways and I took into account grading differences. When I got it, I thought maybe it was "smooshed" into the case. So, I opened the outer shell to inspect it more. Then, I knew for certain 3/4ths of it was missing. I eventually got my money back on the auction but it was a big hassle and took a few months to clear up.

Heard thers a Action 1 cover married to a coverless book I think it was a 9 restored...

I hope all the comic is there. I had a comic that was missing 3/4ths of it. I'll never buy a PGX slab again unless the owner will guarantee it when I crack it open immediately.

Do tell...

It was a Giant Comics Edition that clearly says "128 pages" on the binding and it was in a blue holder with no disclosure otherwise. I bought it in an auction. I knew that I was immediately going to crack it open anyways and I took into account grading differences. When I got it, I thought maybe it was "smooshed" into the case. So, I opened the outer shell to inspect it more. Then, I knew for certain 3/4ths of it was missing. I eventually got my money back on the auction but it was a big hassle and took a few months to clear up.

Heard thers a Action 1 cover married to a coverless book I think it was a 9 restored...

The restoration wasn't nearly that extensive but there has been an Action #1 graded a 9.0 by PGX.

http://pgxcomics.com/action1.cfm

Most would agree that the 9.0 grade was rather generous but the book still looks fantastic none the less. If I had much MUCH more spending power, I'd consider HG GA books with slight restoration given the price reduction that can come as a result.

It's a very nice book but not close to 9.0.

Look at the bottom right corner on the FC. It has a 2 or 3" color breaking corner crease.

Nice, but not a nine. lol

IIRC he said it was because he was local to PGX and could hand deliver it.

Speculation was that he realized he was getting a gift grade from PGX and there was no way he would ever get close to that grade from CGC, so he decided to leave it in the PGX slab.

Mint books in PGX slabs stink worse than the Twilight movies. The inner well isn't very tight at all and the book floats around in postal transit. I bought two "Platinum" mint books and both books came to me sideways inside their holders. It took a couple of bangs on the holder's corner to get the book alligned better. But by then, this "PGX 10" had noticable scuffing on it from sliding around inside. How do I send something like that to be reholdered, when it's just gonna come back the same way? CGC has a better constructed well, for minty books that holds the book tighter, with perfectly placed wedges to protect the book even more. CGC is the best at everything as far as I am concerned.

...on a side-note, the Locke & Key #5 PGX "Platinum" 10 I bought had two very noticable spots of chipping on it too :o

I have a PGX Miracleman #1 9.8 that is all wavy and I would never call it a 9.8. I don't want it in my collection but I have no idea what to do with it. The last thing I want is to pull one over on somebody by selling it on ebay as a legit 9.8 even if the grading company is known for being awful.

aa16.jpg

:cloud9:

Don't over torque the screws, or misplace the gaskets, etc etc, great

idea but expensivo.. Put my early Tecs in them for a few years til the

gaskets started to funk up.

I like this "slab" and the ones on Ebay right now..but I am looking for an ACE graded slab....seriously, Wolverine preferably....

Don't waste your time, picked up a couple a few years back on a trip to

San Antonio. Buy a top loader.

Do tell...

The restoration wasn't nearly that extensive but there has been an Action #1 graded a 9.0 by PGX.

http://pgxcomics.com/action1.cfm

Most would agree that the 9.0 grade was rather generous but the book still looks fantastic none the less. If I had much MUCH more spending power, I'd consider HG GA books with slight restoration given the price reduction that can come as a result.

I was just playing around

I have a PGX Miracleman #1 9.8 that is all wavy and I would never call it a 9.8. I don't want it in my collection but I have no idea what to do with it. The last thing I want is to pull one over on somebody by selling it on ebay as a legit 9.8 even if the grading company is known for being awful.

Sell it on ebay, but put in the listing "in your opinion you don't feel it is a 9.8" big enough that people see it. If a person buys it, then it is out of your collection and you are being honest about it. I've seen someone sell an item that way before and I thought it was cool that they listed it in that manner.