• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,254 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2021 at 8:03 AM, FoggyNelson said:

Never seen em before, like them though👍‼️

I believe these are bedsheet pulps.  Heritage has auctioned two issues back in '06 and one in '09.  Neither were these two issues.  I don't have my Bookery's Guide handy but the HA referenced one of the ones they auctioned to be scare and the rare according to Bookerys.  

I probably shouldn't have posted these in a comics thread.  I hadn't seen them before either and I really don't collect western comics nor pulps but thought they were interesting.  

On 9/25/2021 at 4:31 PM, telerites said:

I believe these are bedsheet pulps.  Heritage has auctioned two issues back in '06 and one in '09.  Neither were these two issues.  I don't have my Bookery's Guide handy but the HA referenced one of the ones they auctioned to be scare and the rare according to Bookerys.  

I probably shouldn't have posted these in a comics thread.  I hadn't seen them before either and I really don't collect western comics nor pulps but thought they were interesting.  

I've found a few over the years mixed in with movie magazines from the same era. They do fall more under the pulp umbrella, and coincidentally, both the long-running Argosy and Detective Fiction Weekly ran in that same format during the war and under that same Red Star imprint.

They turn up on the Bay and often sneak under the radar. I think they're great pieces of Western Americana!  (thumbsu

On 9/24/2021 at 5:14 PM, Scrooge said:

1676992069_JohnnyMackBrown7-JesseMarsh.thumb.jpg.8944c27a5d5811fb9a756103f7b57c12.jpg

it's unusual, yet surprisingly effective, that the page flow follows the guy's legs from one panel to the rest of his body in the next tier. Plus, the simple use of a hat and rope hanging on the wall to fix depth and perspective. This showcases the economy Marsh was able to use to make his art work.

I love this sort of analysis!  Keep it coming!! :nyah:

On 9/25/2021 at 8:55 PM, PopKulture said:

I've found a few over the years mixed in with movie magazines from the same era. They do fall more under the pulp umbrella, and coincidentally, both the long-running Argosy and Detective Fiction Weekly ran in that same format during the war and under that same Red Star imprint.

They turn up on the Bay and often sneak under the radar. I think they're great pieces of Western Americana!  (thumbsu

There were four issues, correct?

And yes if you search there are copies listed.

Thanks for the info:foryou: