• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thread Closed

10 posts in this topic

I see certs show up on ebay every once and a while, but never found this one. The cert for this one is out there some where. I always wondered why CGC didn't put the file copy copy number on the holder, like 5/12 ??

Rats. If only it came with the certificate. That sinks my purchase.

I spoke with head grader about it once - at the time the certs were issued by Overstreet/Gaines, they were numbered in order of best to less best copy. Mark's explanation for the non file copy number was that over time, the quality of each book may have changed, so that the rank order might be different at CGC's encapsulation point in time.

I see certs show up on ebay every once and a while, but never found this one. The cert for this one is out there some where. I always wondered why CGC didn't put the file copy copy number on the holder, like 5/12 ??

I spoke with head grader about it once - at the time the certs were issued by Overstreet/Gaines, they were numbered in order of best to less best copy. Mark's explanation for the non file copy number was that over time, the quality of each book may have changed, so that the rank order might be different at CGC's encapsulation point in time.

While Mark's explanation does make sense, I still think CGC should have taken note of each book's original ranking number. It should have been printed on the label, or at the very least, recorded in the grader's notes. Even though a book's original ranking may no longer be relevant in terms of the grade, that data could have still functioned like a serial number, unique to each copy. It's really a shame that information has been lost, in so many cases. It's because of CGC that the Gaines File Copy certificates have been made obsolete, and consequently many of them have disappeared.

But, I guess the only people that are bothered by this are the real hard core EC FanAddicts like us. rantrant

While Mark's explanation does make sense, I still think CGC should have taken note of each book's original ranking number. It should have been printed on the label, or at the very least, recorded in the grader's notes. Even though a book's original ranking may no longer be relevant in terms of the grade, that data could have still functioned like a serial number, unique to each copy. It's really a shame that information has been lost, in so many cases. It's because of CGC that the Gaines File Copy certificates have been made obsolete, and consequently many of them have disappeared.

But, I guess the only people that are bothered by this are the real hard core EC FanAddicts like us. rantrant

Boy, I could not agree with this more! I simply don't understand how the certificates get separated from the file copies in the first place. In my opinion the original certificates are much more important to establishing the pedigree than the CGC label. Surely people aren't throwing the certificates away! (Good lord! Choke!) Each one is hand signed by Bill Gaines, Bob Overstreet and Russ Cochran. So are people deciding to sell the books but keep the certificates? That seems like such an incredibly poor idea to me. Over time people are going to start to question the accuracy of the information on the CGC labels, especially when the books are eventually cracked out when the slabs become worn and damaged. Even if the books are re-holdered, with each new slabbing comes the possiblity for errors, and the link to the original File Copy certification becomes a little more blurred.

If CGC had put the original ranking on the label and in the grading notes, it would keep that original link established, and ensure that each file copy is accounted for. Not only that, but if the certificate happens to show up later, it could be reunited with the proper book!