• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

22 DCs To Go

173 posts in this topic

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

The real key is to buy as many of the thirty thousand as cheap as you can, and say no to every expensive comic until you've got twenty five thousand of them.

Find a dealer with tons of DCs between 1970 and 2004, and strike a deal to buy five thousand all different DCs for forty cents each. You might find some cheaper than that but you won't find anyone willing to put in the hours to sort them.

That way you can immediately fill in five thousand comics for about two thousand dollars, and once you've got them, you then make out a wants list and start looking for cheap ways to fill the gaps.

Here in London, Jonathan Browne from "They Walk Among Us" did it for me, and provided the cornerstone upon which I built my collection, remembering that I hadn't bought a single comic between 1986 and 2002.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

The real key is to buy as many of the thirty thousand as cheap as you can, and say no to every expensive comic until you've got twenty five thousand of them.

Find a dealer with tons of DCs between 1970 and 2004, and strike a deal to buy five thousand all different DCs for forty cents each. You might find some cheaper than that but you won't find anyone willing to put in the hours to sort them.

That way you can immediately fill in five thousand comics for about two thousand dollars, and once you've got them, you then make out a wants list and start looking for cheap ways to fill the gaps.

Here in London, Jonathan Browne from "They Walk Among Us" did it for me, and provided the cornerstone upon which I built my collection, remembering that I hadn't bought a single comic between 1986 and 2002.

Thats a pretty good plan Ian. However, your 40 cents ,im assuming american, works out to 60 cents canadian. 893frustrated.gif27_laughing.gif

if i buy only poor condition books, i might just be able to duplicate your task.

I need a protege.

I've always wanted one.

Go on - go for it.

With my expert guidance, and as long as you don't mind low grades, I can help you to do it a lot cheaper than I did.

We're talking comics here. I think you mean sidekick, not protege! wink.gif

With my expert guidance, and as long as you don't mind low grades, I can help you to do it a lot cheaper than I did.

Yes, help us "do it" a lot cheaper than you did. This the the fatherly advice I've been waiting for all my life! 27_laughing.gif

Timely

Your collection is as vast as a nuclear wasteland. Even The Mighty Gwar is impressed. The Mighty Gwar hereby declares you "Honorary Scumdog of the Universe!" The feeble minds and revolting slaves shall bow down before your might.

However no collection, no matter how great could truly be complete without Slave Pit Funnies #1-7.

Now you leeches! I command you! Buy My Comics!

Uh, GWAR? I think you want the coin guys....they are up the board a tad. They have been talking about you all week, so you better get over there right now! juggle.gif

We're talking comics here. I think you mean sidekick, not protege!

Well at the end of the day, I still wish there were more people collecting ALL the DCs.

I cannot understand why there aren't.

That out of the whole world, I only know of three.

Sad really..........

Well at the end of the day, I still wish there were more people collecting ALL the DCs

Wouldn't that be a bad thing because of more competition?

Not at all.

Two collectors can help each other. Jerome found me at least twenty books and I found even more things for him.

I don't think this is rocket science, the answer is purely finances.

Yes for the last couple of thousand books, but if you shop around, you can get decent low grade Golden Age that's affordable. If you want to fill in the gaps without being overly worried about the grades, it can be done. I can prove it.

But realistically, even shopping around for low grade copies, how much would a set like Action 21-70, Detective 50-100, More Fun 56-100, Adventure 50-100, All American 26up (to name but a few) cost you ? That's about 270 early books, but missing out the most expensive chunks of each title. Give me your best guesstimate and I imagine we're ruling out the majority of board members and we still have 30000+ to go.

Well at the end of the day, I still wish there were more people collecting ALL the DCs.

That out of the whole world, I only know of three.

Sad really..........

My original goal was to collect not only all the DC's but all the Marvels too. In addition, I found myself buying ECs, Charlton, Dell, Golden Age and everything else remotely resembling a comic (givaways, undergrounds, etc.). It quickly became obvious that I would have to narrow my focus and concentrate on favorites. Thus I chose to wait on westerns, romance, teen humor and war comics til later (even though I still have a fair number of those).

I'm pleased with my collection as it stands but if I had the money I would certainly try to get all the DC's. Instead of being sad we should cheer that at least three people are doing it. I don't know of ANYONE attempting to collect all the Marvels. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I honestly find it difficult to even collect one title or run - never mind a whole genre or publisher's output... but then, I also like to set myself impossible challenges - like collecting Charltons (least I've very little competition!)

The key restriction is not dedication, nor finances per se, it's... you quessed it, my wife...

It's very diffucult to justify £1000 on a tatty old comic when she could spend £1000 on a holiday - or shoes

the crosses we have to bear eh?

anyway, if Double Action 1 is a Gerber 11 - how do we know they're aren't more 11's out there?

When/if you get the 22 what you need, will you be upgrading your comics over time, by either sending them for restoration or part exchanging them for higher graded copies?

I've been upgrading all along.

Constantly buying better copies of the ones in the worst condition.

anyway, if Double Action 1 is a Gerber 11 - how do we know they're aren't more 11's out there?

Well there most certainly aren't any other DCs that could be a Gerber 11. Double Action 1 is the only one. The others from the missing 22 are all out there. None of the remaining 21 have disappeared forever. I know where there are copies of all of them. I'm grateful that a picture of the front cover of Double Action 1 exists, otherwise that WOULD be sad.

To me,the question isn't why don't more people attempt to collect every DC,rather it is why would anyone bother?

Aside from financial and space restraints,the sheer variety of books means buying tons of books you can't possibly have any interest in,except as a notch in your collection.

I've been putting together a set of all Marvel 12 to 25 centers and it bothers me to have to waste money on some of the obscure non-mainstream titles.To have to buy 60+ years of books that don't interest me would destroy ay desire to attempt such a feat.

And after completing his quest,Ian must continue to buy new books each and every week-to what end.

Ian-what percentage of your DC collection have you read?

Are there any genres you don't read at all? romance,horrror,ect?