• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

22 DCs To Go

173 posts in this topic

When I was a kid I bought a couple of Marvel comics one week when there were no new DC's left on the rack. I hated them and never bought any more.

They probably had Spider-Man in them.......shame.... sorry.gif

When I was a kid I bought a couple of Marvel comics one week when there were no new DC's left on the rack. I hated them and never bought any more.

One was a Spider-Man, the other a Fantastic Four. I bought them because both had cartoons on that I watched. But the comics just left me cold. It's not a shame, though, as it did nothing to quash my love of comics. I bought my beloved DCs the next week and was happy as can be. My only regret is that I no longer have the 2 Marvels -- they probably would have been in fantastic condition, since I'd only read them once (unlike my DCs which I read until they fell apart).

-- Joanna

What year was this, approximately? Spider-Man did get a little weird there for a while. You might have hit one of those bad spots.

One was a Spider-Man, the other a Fantastic Four. I bought them because both had cartoons on that I watched. But the comics just left me cold. It's not a shame, though, as it did nothing to quash my love of comics. I bought my beloved DCs the next week and was happy as can be. My only regret is that I no longer have the 2 Marvels -- they probably would have been in fantastic condition, since I'd only read them once (unlike my DCs which I read until they fell apart).

-- Joanna

When I was a kid I bought a couple of Marvel comics one week when there were no new DC's left on the rack. I hated them and never bought any more. So it's an uphill battle, as an adult, to 'hook into' them, when DCs still thrill me to no end.

That's EXACTLY the same as me.

i love my old DC's (1958 - 1965) but have to admit that the marvel's of the early 60's just kicked their arses!!!!!!!! i got so tired of all the DC secret ID [!@#%^&^] and WW evolving into 3 people and a mother fighting dinosuars or whatever. it was all so gimmicky!! marvel had folks that didn't get along and fought each other a lot as well as all of their cool villians. i love 'em both still, but have a harder time with a DC lover who can't stand Marvels insane.gif

What year was this, approximately? Spider-Man did get a little weird there for a while. You might have hit one of those bad spots.

I don't remember. Late silver age, most likely. '67-'69 or thereabouts. I can't recall a single detail of the story or the cover. All I remember from the FF was Ben Grimm complaining a lot. They just didn't hold any appeal at all. I read them, forgot them, and never thought of Marvel comics again. My comic-reading friends and I were all DC fans and just had no interest in anything Marvel.

Keep in mind that we were little girls. There's no way Spider-Man can compete with Lois Lane, Supergirl, and Wonder Woman. Maybe if Marvel had had some strong, lead female characters I would've read them, but when I was buying, all the good female characters were in DCs.

When you're doing this "constant upgrading" of lesser-conditioned books that you already have... are you constantly having to refer back to your collection? Or have you come so familiar with the books that you just somehow have a general idea of the condition of most issues?

Ummm.... so? What does that have to do with anything? confused.gif My point was that I think he's confusing dingbats with first issue special; that's the only dingbats book I can think of.

Someone asked about whether I felt any sense of pride buying Dingbats, I didn't recognise the name Dingbats, someone then pointed out that it was a First Issue Special, and I replied that I didn't acquire it from a state of needing it on a wants list, rather I bought it as a weekly brand new comic in the 1980s.

I hope that sort of makes sense.

Hey Ian,

What grade are your Action #1 and Detective #27? If you don't want to answer the question that's ok, but at least let me know you saw the question. Thanks.

Ummm.... so? What does that have to do with anything? confused.gif My point was that I think he's confusing dingbats with first issue special; that's the only dingbats book I can think of.

Someone asked about whether I felt any sense of pride buying Dingbats, I didn't recognise the name Dingbats, someone then pointed out that it was a First Issue Special, and I replied that I didn't acquire it from a state of needing it on a wants list, rather I bought it as a weekly brand new comic in the 1980s.

I hope that sort of makes sense.

When you're doing this "constant upgrading" of lesser-conditioned books that you already have... are you constantly having to refer back to your collection? Or have you come so familiar with the books that you just somehow have a general idea of the condition of most issues?

Some I know off by heart, some I've written down, but most I need to go right through my collection comic by comic and make a huge list, which I've been putting off and putting off and putting off..........

Hey Ian,

What grade are your Action #1 and Detective #27? If you don't want to answer the question that's ok, but at least let me know you saw the question. Thanks.

I've answered it before, but the Action 1 was CGC graded at 1.0 which I claimed was undergraded and at least looks like a 2.0, as opposed to my Double Action 2, which I claimed was overgraded at 3.0 and should also have been graded 2.0.

The Detective 27 was pretty shabby and needed serious work, which Matt Nelson is currently doing. It probably verged on poor. Hopefully it won't be when I get it back.

Thanks. Hope the Tec 27 comes back looking nice. thumbsup2.gif

Hey Ian,

I've answered it before, but the Action 1 was CGC graded at 1.0 which I claimed was undergraded and at least looks like a 2.0, as opposed to my Double Action 2, which I claimed was overgraded at 3.0 and should also have been graded 2.0.

The Detective 27 was pretty shabby and needed serious work, which Matt Nelson is currently doing. It probably verged on poor. Hopefully it won't be when I get it back.

I don't know of ANYONE attempting to collect all the Marvels. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I do! And to my knowledge he has every Marvel, Timely and Atlas (or at least 90%+ of the Atlas books!).

Timely

He doesn't have the variants! bwah hah hah grin.gif