• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoarding: How Collecting Stuff Can Destroy Your Life

22 posts in this topic

I think that article is for people that have a mental problem

not someone that enjoys our hobby.

Like for instance, if you have one room dedicated to comics and collectables

then I don't see an issue, but if you whole house is saturated with items then

yes you might have an issue.

There is an illness that is associated with this though and most are "shut ins".

There is a person that lives near my Mom that has issues of this sort where they

can't throw away anything. I mean seriously, Mom thinks she has bags of garbage throughout

her house.

I also read in the most severe cases where people with this illness have been known

to wrap up their own fecal matter in toilet paper and save it...

So I would be surprised if hardly anyone here had that much of a problem.

:(

I think that article is for people that have a mental problem

not someone that enjoys our hobby.

Like for instance, if you have one room dedicated to comics and collectables

then I don't see an issue, but if you whole house is saturated with items then

yes you might have an issue.

There is an illness that is associated with this though and most are "shut ins".

There is a person that lives near my Mom that has issues of this sort where they

can't throw away anything. I mean seriously, Mom thinks she has bags of garbage throughout

her house.

I also read in the most severe cases where people with this illness have been known

to wrap up their own fecal matter in toilet paper and save it...

So I would be surprised if hardly anyone here had that much of a problem.

:(

I love it when people say my friend or someone I know to cover up their own story.

It is a very sad affliction. And I'm sure there can be some interesting parallels made to a comic collectors habits - in my case I've got long boxes at two locations. And in no way am I covering-up any possible hoarding tendencies, however there is a stark difference between the tendencies of keeping comics neatly stored away for the purpose of collecting, and a hoarder who collects absolutely everything and anything they find, and these contents begin occupying rooms in a completely disorganized and unsightly manner. On a serious note, someone very near and dear to me is going through a substantial amount of strain dealing with a hoarder. It's a real shock to the system when you see how bad a hoarders tendencies can get, and how uninhabitable their living spaces and homes become.

I bought books from a guy who was a hoarder. He would run out every Sunday when his wife was out and buy up all kinds of stuff and then stash it in corners of the house before she came home to see it. After he passed away they found all sorts of stuff all over the house...some of it was pretty neat as far as collectibles go.

"cities now have task forces dedicated specifically toward working with hoarders in their community" doh!

As Sheryl Crow would say, "if it makes you happy".

I tend to go overboard on my hobbies. Got in to horticulture, bought a nursery. Got into comics, spent a small fortune and have acquired a room full of *spoon*. Both have made me happy and aside from self, who can say that is wrong for me? (maybe the wife :whistle: )

A&E has a show about people stricken with the Hoarding affliction.

Each 60-minute episode of HOARDERS™ is a fascinating look inside the lives of two different people whose inability to part with their belongings is so out of control that they are on the verge of a personal crisis. Whether they're facing eviction, the loss of their children, jail time, or divorce, they are all desperately in need of help. In a fly-on-the-wall style, we'll capture the drama as experts work to put each on the road to recovery. But cleaning is just the first step, like taking drugs away from an addict. The healing won't be easy. For some, throwing away even the tiniest thing -- a sponge, a button, an empty box -- is so painful that they will not be able to allow the cleaning to be completed, no matter the consequences

http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/video/index.jsp

I watched a few episodes and it was too much to bear. People living in total squalor and their own waste. One woman had 3 years worth of adult diapers piled up in her bathroom. The reason she was using the diapers? She couldn't reach the toilet anymore because the clutter was piled too high.

Shockingly, many of these people come from what would otherwise be typical middle class families and otherwise "normal" neighborhoods. You'd never know what was lurking inside the home from the outside appearance. Although, some do start spilling into the yard with their accumulations.

Each 60-minute episode of HOARDERS™ is a fascinating look inside the lives of two different people whose inability to part with their belongings is so out of control that they are on the verge of a personal crisis. Whether they're facing eviction, the loss of their children, jail time, or divorce, they are all desperately in need of help. In a fly-on-the-wall style, we'll capture the drama as experts work to put each on the road to recovery. But cleaning is just the first step, like taking drugs away from an addict. The healing won't be easy. For some, throwing away even the tiniest thing -- a sponge, a button, an empty box -- is so painful that they will not be able to allow the cleaning to be completed, no matter the consequences

I watched a few episodes and it was too much too bear. People living in total squalor and their own waste. One woman had 3 years worth of adult diapers piled up in her bathroom. The reason she was using the diapers? She couldn't reach the toilet anymore because the clutter was piled too high.

Shockingly, many of these people come from what would otherwise be typical middle class families and otherwise "normal" neighborhoods. You'd never know what was lurking inside the home from the outside appearance. Although, some do start spilling into the yard with their accumulations.

The only one I saw was the lady who had an insane number of cats - she took in strays. When authorities finally intervened they found a number of dead animals lost amongst the 'hoard.'

The lady was most concerned at being able to keep at least some of her pets, but they were in such failing health that all were taken by animal control.

It as a very sad episode to say the least and I've not watched another. :(

my comic room is pretty bad looking, but at least i can still walk around in it.

of course, if i ever pick up some "deal" on here or ebay or wherever and wind up getting another 15-20 long boxes I will not be able to move in there.

I watched a few episodes and it was too much too bear. People living in total squalor and their own waste. One woman had 3 years worth of adult diapers piled up in her bathroom. The reason she was using the diapers? She couldn't reach the toilet anymore because the clutter was piled too high.

The only one I saw was the lady who had an insane number of cats - she took in strays. When authorities finally intervened they found a number of dead animals lost amongst the 'hoard.'

The lady was most concerned at being able to keep at least some of her pets, but they were in such failing health that all were taken by animal control.

It as a very sad episode to say the least and I've not watched another. :(

I totally agree with you. It is very sad and it makes you wonder how someone can get to that point. It's very hard to watch and strikes home with us as my mother-in-law was a hoarder. It brings back a lot of bad memories when we have watched it. Like with any mental illness, you have to be willing to accept help and change. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen.

when i lived in an apartment i had a neighbor down the hall who was like this. every few years the building would have the department of health raid him and toss his stuff, but then he would go down to the garbage room and bring half of it back. his apartment stunk and had roaches. his neighbors would spray his doors with roach spray nightly. i felt really bad for the neighbors as some of them were really nice clean folks. my main problem with him is that he would sneak around and steal the newspapers of people on the floor, but at 6 a.m. before we woke up. VERy irritating!

the guy was unemployed and lived off of some small trust fun that basically fed him and paid the rent on his rent controlled apartment. it was sad because the guy was no dope...he has a masters degree in economics from U. Penn, etc., he was just incapable of functioning in the real world or bathing more than 3X a month. when i saw him going in the elevator I'd just wait for another one.

I am SO happy I no longer have to share walls with anyone else and I have pretty clean neighbors.

I think hoarding is just the far end of the spectrum of behavior that afflicts "collectors".

Hoarding,

You need to watch the show on TLC or Discovery channel, talk about issues. My wife would never let me get like that Thank God, otherwise I be living like i was in my dorm :)

junk-pile-low-res-300x224.jpg

My back yard. Do you think this is a problem?

You need to put some junk tires out there to keep the refrigerator company.

Kinda like they do in Tennessee.