• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

should WHITMAN variants be worth more?

35 posts in this topic

Agreed... they are rarer, and for those of us who were kids collecting in the late 70s, they have a strange nostalgiac pull. I mean, considering the dough that guys spend on Marvel price variants (let's face it - a single black plate change on the press), Whitmans deserve some kind of respect.

Certainly, some of them are very, very tough in grade.

Shep

Haven't you guys had a hard time getting over the "reprint" stigma?

:taptaptap:

Seriously. For the vast majority of my collecting career, these were considered to be trash, unworthy of collecting and certainly inferior. Now, there is evidence that they were not a subsequent print run, but the old feelings run deep, don't they?

...and yes, I'd say Whitman variants should definitely be worth more. They are to me.

Andy 2c

(thumbs u (thumbs u Surely! In an era where variants and multiple printings are still ramptant, what's wrong w/ a 'lil B.A. nostalgia that may actually be a bit uncommon in HG?

:sumo:

Seriously. For the vast majority of my collecting career, these were considered to be trash, unworthy of collecting and certainly inferior. Now, there is evidence that they were not a subsequent print run, but the old feelings run deep, don't they?

That's how I remember them. However it would be cool to see them become the next hot item. (thumbs u

I know exactly what you're saying.

I really like the blank UPC books.

that said, I do not think they should be worth more than their normal counterparts. As far as I can tell, they were produced in quantity, for distribution to every corner of the US via Kmart and Walmart, etc.

"Rare in HG" :tonofbricks: more like mostly unwanted in any grade... :taptaptap:

Collectibles are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them, its really that simple.

Look at how popular the Archie "Beat 3 guys off" issue is. I need it for my comic run but can't get it because everyone wants it because of that being on the cover. The comic isn't any better then any other in the run but it is hard to find and sells for 25-50x what the rest do simply because it is collected by more then Archie collectors.

Collectibles are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them, its really that simple.

Look at how popular the Archie "Beat 3 guys off" issue is. I need it for my comic run but can't get it because everyone wants it because of that being on the cover. The comic isn't any better then any other in the run but it is hard to find and sells for 25-50x what the rest do simply because it is collected by more then Archie collectors.

You mean Hulk 181 isn't any rarer than 182 or 185?

As far as I can tell, they were produced in quantity, for distribution to every corner of the US via Kmart and Walmart, etc.

-----------

the early ones are rarer. a lot rarer. not 35/30 cent variant rarer, but substantially, like 1 of them for 20-25 of the regular version rarer. find an early one of a big title (spidey) and see how many on ebay are for the regular vs. the whitman, you'd be surprised. how early they need to be I am not sure, but not just the first month or two.