• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The review is in! IRON MAN II Is a STINKER!

332 posts in this topic

Yeah the movie is good! Did become a bit too Transformerish in some parts though.

For those that have seen it: Did I spot a copy of Captain America Comics #1 in the box Tony opens with the blueprints in? I thought it was there the first time he opened the box but not the second time the camera was on it. Might have to go back to see.

For those going to see it: Stay till the very end.

For those that have seen it: Did I spot a copy of Captain America Comics #1 in the box Tony opens with the blueprints in? I thought it was there the first time he opened the box but not the second time the camera was on it. Might have to go back to see.

For those going to see it: Stay till the very end.

SNIP

The "comic book insider" trivia ... Cap's shield makes a return, but not like you would expect. Plus a blink-and-you'll-miss-it copy of a Captain America #1 comic book in a suitcase and Stan Lee in a mistaken identity cameo.

SNIP

:whistle:

Just got back :grin:

I give it a Homer Simpson rating of 9 thumbs up, the highest rating possible!

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

I was going to go to the midnight showing last night as that's what time I get off work, but I had to work late on a last minute project. :cry:

I saw it at the IMAX yesterday. I had read all of the bad reviews and was prepared to be underwhelmed. I thought it was great. Very entertaining and the action scenes were mind-blowing. I thought it retained almost all of the humor and charm of the original. 8.5 out of 10 and IMAX is highly recommended.

Mini-spoiler alert:

I did think that Sam Rockwell (who I normally really enjoy) went a little over the top with the super-smarmy Justin Hammer performance.

I do wish people could explain to me why they loved Scarlet Johanssen so much in this movie,and how she was so perfect in her rendition of Natasha Romanov.

She basically gave a one note performance (to be fair, that's the way it was written) wherein she solemnly said her lines, all the while delineating nothing of character, nuance or the fiery hot temper of the comic book version.

Apart from her attempt at looking stern, efficient and corporate (she looked bored for the most part) she had one ludicrous and quite brief fight sequence which belied her non-athleticism. She's an okay actress, who looked good in her costume, but her part could've been written out of the movie and it wouldn't've made any difference.

And never mind that daft subplot where Stark hands over Stark Industries to Pepper Potts. Or the meaningless Senate Commission palaver. Or the absurd (i.e. barely plausible) motivation behind Whiplash's need for vengeance. Or that blank CGI-fest at the end. Or Whiplash's rather feeble exit.

Not saying it was an outright stinker, although it's obvious that the bar has been lowered in terms of audience expectation regarding action movies or super-hero transfers.

And never mind that daft subplot where Stark hands over Stark Industries to Pepper Potts

He did this in the comics not too long ago.

And never mind that daft subplot where Stark hands over Stark Industries to Pepper Potts

He did this in the comics not too long ago.

Guess I'm out of touch. But with Paltrow basically spending the entire film being rather upset, it was a subplot too far.