• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Closed

192 posts in this topic

Its not unprofessional to not want to deal with an anal retentive collector who has a lot of demands.

If he wants to deal with it great...but he doesn't have to. All he wants to do is sell books.

So STFU and move on and quit smearing the names of Ebay sellers who don't do what you want them to do.

I'd hardly call a guarantee that a book is not restored "anal retentive" or a "lot of demands." doh!

Here is the kind of policy all dealers should strive for:

HighGradeComics.com has ALWAYS had a NO time limit guarantee that your money would be refunded in the event a book comes back restored. We will now take the further step of extending this to CGC graded books as well. Any book, sold in an unrestored CGC holder by HighGradeComics.com that is later determined by CGC to actually contain restoration not discovered in the previous certification, will be fully refundable. This policy will be retroactive to any CGC books sold by HighGradeComics.com in the past. No if and or buts.

:applause:

Bob is the man! (thumbs u

Ken (mosterscollectibles) is old school, and like many old schoolers, doesn't embrace CGC as new wave collectors do. So, his return policy is old school - once you get the book, you can decide if you want to keep it, otherwise, send it back for a refund. I guess he doesn't want someone else (CGC) to decide for you, thus, his 10-day policy.

Pre-CGC, Ken used to have a bunch of killer, esoteric GA books but I think he moved into OA and has been sort of out of the comics scene for a while.

Your requests weren't totally over the top or anything, but many sellers just don't want to deal with nit-picking and hassles and when you start asking a bunch of questions and qualifying your purchases and so forth, it's a turn off.

Ken (mosterscollectibles) is old school, and like many old schoolers, doesn't embrace CGC as new wave collectors do. So, his return policy is old school - once you get the book, you can decide if you want to keep it, otherwise, send it back for a refund. I guess he doesn't want someone else (CGC) to decide for you, thus, his 10-day policy.

Perhaps the OP was a bit too persistent and should have just gotten the hint and walked away earlier in the exchange.

That said, there is a bit of irony in some dealers who cling to the "old school" ways when it works to their advantage, but embrace the benefits of the "new school" pricing.

:hi:

Its not unprofessional to not want to deal with an anal retentive collector who has a lot of demands.

If he wants to deal with it great...but he doesn't have to. All he wants to do is sell books.

So STFU and move on and quit smearing the names of Ebay sellers who don't do what you want them to do.

I'd hardly call a guarantee that a book is not restored "anal retentive" or a "lot of demands." doh!

Here is the kind of policy all dealers should strive for:

HighGradeComics.com has ALWAYS had a NO time limit guarantee that your money would be refunded in the event a book comes back restored. We will now take the further step of extending this to CGC graded books as well. Any book, sold in an unrestored CGC holder by HighGradeComics.com that is later determined by CGC to actually contain restoration not discovered in the previous certification, will be fully refundable. This policy will be retroactive to any CGC books sold by HighGradeComics.com in the past. No if and or buts.

:applause:

Bob is the man! (thumbs u

So yeah..I was a little harsh. My apologies.

However, pressing the guy after he has already clearly lined out what he was willing to do is also "unprofessional". If I were the collector here I would have just moved on much sooner and left it at no sale.

If the seller was one of us and the buyer was someone from ebay making these demands how many of us would be quick to block them as a bidder.

Look at how many BLOCK THIS BIDDER threads there have been in the past

To play the devil's advocate, I would put some of the blame on Ebay for this seller's defensive stance. I'm just stating this base on experience due to all these new buyer protection policies that ultimately screws the sellers. It's practically happening on an every day basis where more buyers are aware of what they can get away with and abuse the new protection policy. Sellers are now more alert in detecting problem buyers before-hand and take the defensive approach to block them off before they can place a bid. They rather risk losing that sale then losing the item and money altogether. Yes, there is now a major HUGE loophole where buyers can get their money back and keep the item at the same time. It's utterly ridiculous that Ebay has not lifted a finger to fix this yet. I'm not saying you're a problem buyer, but sellers are now getting more paranoid. Don't be surprise to see more of this happening. John Donahue has single-handedly brought Ebay down to the slumps.

+1

Personally I think you are over-reacting a bit saying he is a bad seller, but would personally be a bit mad and not buy anything from the seller as the purchase you were going to do was quit large. He offers a 10 day return policy, which is fair, and I can understand him not wanting to change that, especially for ebay sales with all the that goes on.

Bruce

I never said he was a bad seller . I just said he had a bad attitude and because of that I wouldn't buy from him

If the seller was one of us and the buyer was someone from ebay making these demands how many of us would be quick to block them as a bidder.

I probably would have, especially given Trey's spelling.

Oh - Happy Birthday!!! :banana:

I probably would have, especially given Trey's spelling.

Oh - Happy Birthday!!! :banana:

lol sorry guys that is one of my weak points I am not the best speller :sorry:

Personally I think you are over-reacting a bit saying he is a bad seller, but would personally be a bit mad and not buy anything from the seller as the purchase you were going to do was quit large. He offers a 10 day return policy, which is fair, and I can understand him not wanting to change that, especially for ebay sales with all the that goes on.

Bruce

I never said he was a bad seller . I just said he had a bad attitude and because of that I wouldn't buy from him

Actually, you can't buy from him. You still wanted to, but couldn't.

Bruce

Actually, you can't buy from him. You still wanted to, but couldn't.

Ouch!

lol

your offer was not unreasonable per se (I take it you were asking the offered price), but it isn't unreasonable for him to say no. he's laid out money for a resto check already (albeit not a great one according to people here) and is at the mercy of CGC who might decide something is CT or whatever when it's really a stray pen mark. Didn't someone here have a book they bought off the rack new come back restored?

and if let's say it has some alleged CT somewhere, he gets back a PLOD (and is out, what, $1000?) when he used to have a PGX case with a different set of stigmas. Why not wait until someone who isn't scare of PGX comes along and makes an offer?

not to mention, your offer to have someone do a resto check within the 10 days necessarily involves cracking it out of the PGX slab. so if they think they might see something funny he gets the cracked out book. but someone at PGX thought there was no resto? who is to judge? he's out the PGX fees and has to send it back in. I can understand his perspective.

your offer was not unreasonable per se (I take it you were asking the offered price), but it isn't unreasonable for him to say no. he's laid out money for a resto check already (albeit not a great one according to people here) and is at the mercy of CGC who might decide something is CT or whatever when it's really a stray pen mark. Didn't someone here have a book they bought off the rack new come back restored?

and if let's say it has some alleged CT somewhere, he gets back a PLOD (and is out, what, $1000?) when he used to have a PGX case with a different set of stigmas. Why not wait until someone who isn't scare of PGX comes along and makes an offer?

not to mention, your offer to have someone do a resto check within the 10 days necessarily involves cracking it out of the PGX slab. so if they think they might see something funny he gets the cracked out book. but someone at PGX thought there was no resto? who is to judge? he's out the PGX fees and has to send it back in. I can understand his perspective.

No offense, but that's complete bull. There are only two reasons why you would send a book to PGX - either because you're ignorant or because you're trying to hide something.

If the book comes back from CGC as a PLOD it's not because CGC is suddenly making up restoration where there's none - it's because it was a restored book in a regular PGX slab to begin with.

Who's to judge, you ask? That's an easy question - CGC.

No offense, but that's complete bull. There are only two reasons why you would send a book to PGX - either because you're ignorant or because you're trying to hide something.

If the book comes back from CGC as a PLOD it's not because CGC is suddenly making up restoration where there's none - it's because it was a restored book in a regular PGX slab to begin with.

Who's to judge, you ask? That's an easy question - CGC.

I'll add that history has shown that there is no basis for your stance on the issue, blob. PGX has proven themselves a very poor judge indeed.

Where's the "STFU and move on" option? To paraphrase our British friends, Christonabike. Buy it from somebody else. doh!

+1 on this option. :applause:

------

Do you assume the same about anyone selling a nice book raw?

One other reason to use PGX is that they are tremendously cheaper than CGC. Perhaps you get what you pay for, but their prices are more in line with what I think this type of service "should" cost. If you're a dealer working on tight margins and have a lot of books to grade, I can understand wanting to save on some up front grading fees even if it impacts liquidity down the road. Cap 3 is probably a bad example, although PGX charges $22 to grade a book like that and CGC charges $54. Not a negligible amount, but yeah, you're right, the CGC slab is going to fetch more than $32 more. I've got a really nice Hulk 2 I'd like to send in and I know it's not restored as I got it out of a legit OA collection, it sure sux I have to pay an extra $32 in order to not be accused of trying to hide resto I know isn't there.

But what about some $150 VF SA book you are pretty sure has no resto. PGX charges $14 and CGC charges $32. In volume that adds up and in terms of grading (rather than resto check) is there a real difference on that kind of book? Seems like we see plenty of head scratchers from both companies.

Do we know for a fact that this seller sent it in to PGX or does he also buy them in the aftermarket (because, honestly, you can get them at a decent discount due to all the issues raised here)? I've heard of PGX missing resto, true, but who is checking CGC as in who is cracking blue label books out and having a resto check? Clearly CGC misses some stuff too and finds stuff sometimes that may or may not be there. I wouldn't send a $1900 book in to PGX either, that's true, but I understand the seller's perspective on the whole proposition, there's risk to this proposition which isn't going to be there with some other buyer. Someone else is going to be interested in the Cap 3, even PGXed, probably not at full-price, but there won't be risk of a return (outside of 10 days) in that scenario.